Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Safety  (Read 2347 times)

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Safety
« on: March 19, 2006, 07:44:38 AM »
This week in Tuscon during the VSC has been something.  Bob Whitely is flying after shoulder surgury on his flying arm.  Something about the rotator cup coming apart in pieces.   Jeff Reeves getting his finger and thumb sewed back up after putting them in a carbon fiber prop.  Dale Gleason getting his fingers into a prop.   Ted Fancher recovering after a dislocated shoulder.  The final one that was not mentioned at the banquet was David Schirley throwing his back out getting ready for practice flight on Saturday.  The weather has been fairly decent this year.  My second round flight I was last on my circle and scored a point and a half better in wind just like home.  Later,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Safety
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 07:49:16 AM »
it sounds like you guys are having lots of fun there.
that's a lot of injuries for a contest. be careful.
Frank Carlisle

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 03:11:27 PM »
Frank,

Old bones do get brittle...

I think at the Cholla Choppers' March club meeting, Robin Sizemore counted something like 135 or more individual fliers entered.  Four 'injuries' worth comment in so large a group is regrettable, but still reasonable.

Doc didn't mention the other prop scuffs and stuff that went along with the serious ones. Didn't slow anyone down, apparently.

T'was a good time, so what's a few drops of blood?  ;)
\BEST\LOU

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 06:10:14 PM »
lou,
i guess 4 injuries worth mentionong out of 135 fliers is not so bad. i guess eventually a lot of us will be learning to fly on walkers. or hov-r-rounds. i don't know if i got that last one right,but  you get my drift.
course i been gettin my fingers stuck in the prop since i was a kid.

anyway the guys all had fun.
Frank Carlisle

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2006, 06:34:08 PM »
Whitely fell down the court house steps last month, and Fancher was injured last month or before also.
They were albulatory participants by VSC.
Guys are still putting their fingers in the props, be careful guys. I did it in a fibreglass Bolly two years ago but got off easy with a blood blister after trying to stop the engine while it 12 cycled backwards and got my thumb out in the blade root. Stupid.
Chris...

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2006, 03:48:13 PM »
What I forgot to mention in the count of people present at VSC, is that many came early, flew practice all week, and had several home-offered parties to get to.

That is a tiring, if great, schedule, and in balmy Tucson for so many from cold and stormy regions, it may have caused a pleasantly tired euphoria by the ""Official"" flying dates.

NO injury is insignificant. I'm just glad there were no really serious ones this year. There have been few calls for emergency reponse, and they mostly had to do with other medical conditions for the guys who needed...

\BEST\LOU

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2006, 07:17:38 AM »
I will never forget my first VSC when Bigiron went down on the circle.  Seems he didn't tell his doctor he was going to Tuscon.  Wrong medication for the altitude.   I won't mention all the planes that have not made it back from there.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2006, 07:18:58 PM »
  That was scary for me and the wife also Doc.

Bigiron
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here