News:

• April 27, 2024, 01:45:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rules clarification for the Brodak Fly In 2007  (Read 2428 times)

Offline Allen Brickhaus

• ACE
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Rules clarification for the Brodak Fly In 2007
« on: March 28, 2007, 05:32:49 PM »

The mailed contest flyer has a couple of less than clear references to the rules for carrier, combat, racing and scale.  Accordingly, it is amended by this posting.  Foxberg racing is the most serious, as this year it will be open to Goldberg airplanes, Brodak kits of the same, Ringmasters, Flite Streaks, Galaxies, etc., with engines to be either Fox 35 stunt, OS 25 LA or Brodak 25.  In past years, some have gotten printed copies of rules which were out of date or from other sources.  So we’d ask that all concerned check the Brodak website under flyin, rules, to obtain current information.  Our humblest apologies for the confusion, if any.  The rules as posted on the website will govern. 

Allen Brickhaus and Tom Hampshire

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
Re: Rules clarification for the Brodak Fly In 2007
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 09:02:48 PM »
 BUMMER !!!  Then I won't enter.  (that is IF I even get to go)
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Offline Bill Gruby

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 06:37:50 AM »
Marvin;

I haffta agree with you. What was wrong with the rules the way they were? Foxberg meant FOX .35 MOTOR.
OS and Brodak don't start with "F" Thats my 2 cents worth.

"Billy G"   H^^
Bill Gruby
AMA 94433
MECA 5393-10

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 07:21:29 AM »

Awe what the heck, have fun.. First year of our triathalon my FP-25 got trounced by a Fox 35 in Rat Race.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 10:30:31 AM »

Marvin, don't go away mad !

Bring it on !  You can still use your Fox.

This can be CL Racing's version of the Battle of the Billionaires.
Paul Smith

Offline Scott Jenkins

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 03:02:33 PM »
Guys,

"This can be CL Racing's version of the Battle of the Billionaires"

Not quite FAI F2C currently holds that title. Engines start at $600 to $1200 +,
planes if you do not build them yourself $450 +, Fuel $20.00/QT.

AP^

Scott
Scott Jenkins
AMA 43122
FAI F2C VOLUME 2 SECTION 4, 4.3.7
m) During the refuelling and the restart of the motor, and until the time when he releases the model aircraft, the mechanic must keep the model aircraft in contact with the ground by at least one point and with the centre line outside the flight circle. During that time the pilot must be crouching or sitting inside the centre circle. He keeps one hand on the ground and his handle and his lines as close to the ground as defined by the F2C panel of judges until the model aircraft starts again.

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 03:30:55 PM »
Marvin, don't go away mad !

Bring it on !  You can still use your Fox.

This can be CL Racing's version of the Battle of the Billionaires.
  I,m not mad.  I just do not like people to rape the event just so they can say they got a change in.
  The objective of the event was to put EVERYONE on the same level playing field equipment wise so the relatively new flier interested in racing could see that getting one's act together was what wins contests.  To ENCOURAGE more people into racing.
  The Goldberg profile stunters all are of the same basic sizes both wing airfoiland area and so is the Fuselage side area.  not so with the new additions.  The Venerable old Fox stunt 35  is readily available as is parts for it.  not so with the Foreign built engines.  Fuels for the fox is more or less restricted to Castor based  not so with the Foreign builts and the fact that SOME of the Synthetic oil burns off, that gives more volitiles for the Foreign built engines.  NOW  Is the playing field still level for the average newcommer to racing.  does this show him that it is more  of "getting one's act together and practice" the winning formula or spending more money and "speed secrets"?  Does this promote more interest for the "new to racing"  modeler?  Does this promote CL interest?

Paul, I am not mad,  I just hate  countless hours of practice to get competitive  against other people with the EXACT same type of equipment only to have those who still do not win change the rules so they may have a preceived advantage. I have a Shoestring and the Fox I used year before last that I could use if I wanted to.

Just WHY was a change needed??

I can understand why the Brodak engine is all of a suddent allowed.  It is his field, his contest (fly-in) and his engine.  Nuff sed?

I think the changes are ROTTEN

Marvin Denny
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007, 04:44:18 PM »
Well stated Marvin.  I can remember when the Shoestring by Goldberg was the only design/kit allowed in Wichita.  Fox 35's can be made to start easily with practice.  But, then again who wants to practice any more.  That is why I tell JJ that when we enter a racing event it is for fun as we do it without too much practice.  Take your plane to Brodak's and blow their doors off again.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Phil Bare

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2007, 06:26:22 PM »
Does this mean that I can now run a Fox .25 BB in the Foxberg event??
hmmmmmmmmmmm, I thought that the Foxberg was ment to be a level playing field for novice racers?? But oh well, the Fox will still be the winning engine, the two .25s mentioned just won,t cut it against the Fox....... H^^

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2007, 07:22:59 PM »
I took a hit on this, too.  I bought a brand-new Fox 35 Stunt and was about to install it in a Cosmic Wind when this rule hit the fan.  What can I do now, maybe put it in a stunter?

Still, I can see the logic.  Only a few of the great ones were able to get winning performance out of the Fox.  Anybody can buy an LA 25 and have a chance to compete, much more democratic (or maybe more NASCAR-like).

The dark horse is the Brodak 25.  I've seen a slew of Fox 35 races and a whole season of LA 25 racing, but I've never seen a Brodak 25 race (or a keel-hauling).

You have to admit, Mr. B is a gambling man.  His new horse could win, place, or show.

The Foxberg Race in Carmichaels will be like the 1966 Indy 500, front engine, rear engine, and turbo, all on the same track at once.  Be there, aloha.

I still need and answer on the "tank-on-front-of-the-wing" rule.
Paul Smith

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2007, 06:31:36 AM »
I personally don't think the Brodak 25 stands a chance against Marvins Fox. Don't race any longer so my opinion doesn't count but I agree with Marvin...

Offline Scott Jenkins

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2007, 07:26:41 AM »
To the contrary the motor masters down in AUSSIE land have revamped a Brodak 25 for their B team racers.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~smithlw/Site%202/Welcome.html

Scott
Scott Jenkins
AMA 43122
m) During the refuelling and the restart of the motor, and until the time when he releases the model aircraft, the mechanic must keep the model aircraft in contact with the ground by at least one point and with the centre line outside the flight circle. During that time the pilot must be crouching or sitting inside the centre circle. He keeps one hand on the ground and his handle and his lines as close to the ground as defined by the F2C panel of judges until the model aircraft starts again.

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2007, 08:40:31 AM »
 Scott,  These are "SUPPOSED" to be "STOCK" engines.  I know that mine are and will gladly tear them down after ANY contest.  I have been accused of buying MANY engines and hand fitting them to get a "perfect" engine.  I do not do that.  I buy an engine and CAREFULLY break it in and then go use it either in stunt or racing.

Losers ALWAYS want to change the rules so they can win.

bigiron
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Offline Scott Jenkins

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2007, 09:11:22 AM »
Marvin,
No argument here all I was pointing out is a engine regardless of the manufacture can be reworked to go faster and like you have said some one will buy hand full of Foxes and hand fit a engine till thet get what they want.

Scott
Scott Jenkins
AMA 43122

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2007, 10:12:28 AM »
  Sorry Scott.  Upon rereading my above post, it does appear that I was directing it towards you.  I really wasn't.  The emphasis on "SUPPOSED" and"STOCK"  was to point out that there are those that either do not read the rules, or choose to ignore them in the interest of winning.  Sorry that I worded it the way I did.
 The addition or changing of allowable engines will not change that.  Cheaters will still cheat and those that buy multiples of engines to get good ones will still do so---  don't you think??

Bigiron
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Offline Scott Jenkins

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2007, 02:28:00 PM »
Marvin,
Yep, your right I also have done just that with a pile of "old engines" to get one good one. Not necessarly the best running but a better engine none the less. Now whether that undercuts the spirit of the event may be open to conjecture but it does save a little bit of money in the long run.

Scott
Scott Jenkins
AMA 43122

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2007, 07:42:48 PM »
Scott, there is a vast difference between one putting together parts from used (abused) engines and even perhaps buying a new P&C and shaft to get a good running engine and an individual buying several new engines and hand fitting a NEW engine with the most perfect parts to try to gain an advantage over his lessaffluent competitors.  I got nothing against putting parts from one used engine into another so one can have something to compete with.  I cannot afford to goout and buy half a dozen engines just to (hopefully) find a really good one.  you can always find a Fox stunt 35 for half price (plus shipping) from the factory just by sending them any old used junk engine and that is of ANY brand.  That is what I generally do, and as I sometimes have to pass close to Ft Smith AK, I wait til I have to go there and hand carry my old engine there and pick up a new one and save the shipping (Both ways).
  A new Fox Stunt 35 for $50.00 is not bad at all.

Bigiron
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here