News:

• May 05, 2024, 03:54:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RSM Starduster 40  (Read 1879 times)

Offline Andrew Saunders

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • 2013 Nats
RSM Starduster 40
« on: February 23, 2014, 05:45:10 PM »
I am looking at the RSM Starduster 40. Has anyone here built and flown this plane? I am looking for pictures of the construction if anyone has any

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: RSM Starduster 40
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 06:19:24 PM »
I think it has heritage dating to the Genesis,, seesm I remember Bob telling me something like that, if I remembered correctly, cant imagine it being anything but a great flyer,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Mike Griffin

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 08:51:49 PM »
Andrew give Eric a ring at RSM.  He would be glad to help you with this.

Mike

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 11:46:39 AM »
The Starduster is a design by Ed Capitinelli, now of Tucson AZ.  The Starduster 40 is an extension of that design by Ed and Robin Sizemore.
Both the Big Starduster and the 40 size are beautiful excellent flying airplanes.
I don't really think they came from the Genisis.  
The Wing and original moments of the big Starduster were taken from a Lou Dudka design...High aspect ratio, at least that's what memory tells me that Eddy told me...how's that for second hand info.  I think Eddy's original 40 size uses a LA46.  I've flown a couple of the big Stardusters...Boy do they have a corner...like nothing else I've flown.  I've see the smaller one fly but haven't actually flown it...YET!  I have one of the RSM kits.  It looks good but haven't started it yet.  I do have an Enya 50 that will go in it when I get around to it!

Randy Cuberly

Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline andrew stokey

• 2014 Supporters
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 11:52:07 AM »
Lou Dudka................now that's a name I haven't heard in a loooong time.  Probably has ten kids now.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 01:14:15 PM »
The Starduster is a design by Ed Capitinelli, now of Tucson AZ.  The Starduster 40 is an extension of that design by Ed and Robin Sizemore.
Both the Big Starduster and the 40 size are beautiful excellent flying airplanes.
I don't really think they came from the Genisis.  
The Wing and original moments of the big Starduster were taken from a Lou Dudka design...High aspect ratio, at least that's what memory tells me that Eddy told me...how's that for second hand info.  I think Eddy's original 40 size uses a LA46.  I've flown a couple of the big Stardusters...Boy do they have a corner...like nothing else I've flown.  I've see the smaller one fly but haven't actually flown it...YET!  I have one of the RSM kits.  It looks good but haven't started it yet.  I do have an Enya 50 that will go in it when I get around to it!

Randy Cuberly

you could well be correct, I was recalling a conversation with Bob, but I could have been thinking of a different airplane ,, take my comments with a grain of salt,, and especially since they added nothing to the quest for information ,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 08:03:33 PM »
The original Starduster was built around a Genesis 46 MkIII wing. The airfoils we all used on the East Coast in those days really were derived from Bill Simons' Gemini. It had only i-inch of LE sweep. I made a wing with the same root airfoil and a tip airfoil that had 2-inches of sweep. That's what became the Genesis 46 MkIII wing. There were a huge number of models built around that wing. Even Lou Dudka's Matrix wing was a derivative of those airfoils.

Later - Bob Hunt

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 08:10:28 PM »
O K...so maybe I'm and old guy with a faulty memory.  But the one I have hanging on my wall, built by Eddy, has a significantly higher aspect ratio than the one on my plans for the Genesis 46.

Go Figure?

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 08:14:38 PM »
Hi Randy:

Note that I wrote the "original" Starduster had a Genesis 46 MkIII wing; I know that there were several versions after that one... <=

Later - Bob

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 05:58:30 PM »
I thought a Starduster was a Pat Collier model. Must be a different design.
Chris...

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2014, 07:43:08 PM »
I thought a Starduster was a Pat Collier model. Must be a different design.
Chris...

UUUhhhhhh....I think that's one of those things that flys without wires or radios or anything else!!!  It was Sal Taibi...I think!   y1  LL~
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here