News:

• May 14, 2024, 11:48:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Relaimation Job  (Read 1467 times)

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Relaimation Job
« on: February 14, 2009, 10:59:35 AM »
This is a Skyray that was built many years ago by the late Rolly McDonald. He'd given it to me when I got back into CL to get some handle time. I really didn't fly it much but had refitted it with a Fox .35 and had it out a few time to let my grandkids and neighbor kids fly it.  Rolly had covered it with Coverite (UGG!) and the oil had attacked the adhesive and it was falling off. When my grandson Brandon began to take a serious interest I told him I'd refurbish it so he could learn the beginner's pattern. So, I stripped the wing and put Monokote on it and then found a bunch of vinyl stars I'd stashed years ago and decided to snazz it up a little. It looks better then I originally intended. I also retro-fitted conventional gear so he could learn proper TO and Landings. The B&G on the wing are for "Brandon & Gramps"

I forgot to mention the engine came from bits in my junk box. I was really surprised to find such a nice old Fox lurking in there.

The wheels are NOS Dubro 2 1/2" Plastic hub wheels, very light. I got them out of my late friend Dan's stuff, he lives on in my models and heart.

So whodaya tink?? Will he like it??

« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 12:29:06 PM by Randy Ryan »
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline mike hartung

• aeronut
  • Lieutenant
Re: Relaimation Job
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 11:26:41 AM »
He will definatly like it. I know I do. y1
blue skys and tail winds to all.

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 11:29:12 AM »
I dig it.  8)

Is that the tip weight plug on the leading edge?
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Clayton Berry

• Grey haired kid to be wary of
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 12:04:11 PM »
If he doesn't, beat him until he's near death, take him to the hospital, and on the way home tell him we're going flying.  And get him a coke or a slurpee or a beer.  Kids like that sort of stuff.
Clayton - forever busy committing random acts of coolness

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 12:26:05 PM »
Hi Clint,

Yes, its a weight tube, Rolly put it in when he built it. Its never had weight in it though, it was never flown enough to really trim it. It also has adjustable leadouts.

Clayton,

I'll take that under advisement, he really seems to like those energy drinks, but I suspect they'd make him so twitchy he'd have a hard tiime fyling. Maybe I should just stick with the beating.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 01:28:42 PM »
You should drink the energy drink before starting the beating- kids are tuff and can wear you out before the message is fully implanted  ;}. 

Plane looks great- I used to have a bunch of those stars too - I had a 25' roll of white iron on covering i used for lots of planes, the stars were real quick way to add some color. Finally used em up when I recovered a plane for my buddy to teach his kids on. 
Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Online Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 02:06:09 PM »
Sure looks better then my ole yeller.

He is one lucky kid! I don't think you will have to beat him to make him fly it. mw~
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline John Stiles

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • one shot=one kill
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 05:14:12 PM »
This is a Skyray that was built many years ago by the late Rolly McDonald. He'd given it to me when I got back into CL to get some handle time. I really didn't fly it much but had refitted it with a Fox .35 and had it out a few time to let my grandkids and neighbor kids fly it.  Rolly had covered it with Coverite (UGG!) and the oil had attacked the adhesive and it was falling off................. When my grandson Brandon began to take a serious interest I told him I'd refurbish it so he could learn the beginner's pattern. ..........................So,  whodaya tink?? Will he like it??
Dang right he'll like it..... ;D....I like it! Shux, I liked Ike, and Harry and even Al LL~ One thing though, I think he'd like it better with bigger wheels! :##
John Stiles             Tulip, Ar.

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 08:31:12 PM »
Nice job Gramps!  8)  #^  H^^

Does Brandon fly now or is this is "basic" trainer as well as his stunt trainer?  I was gonna suggest substituting a 2 oz plastic tank...

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2009, 08:48:56 PM »
Hi Dennis,

He's flown a bit and I have several tanks I'll use to get him going. Probably won't tank much more the 2 Oz for the Beginner patter anyway.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Online john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 08:16:40 AM »
That SkyRay looks great.  As stated earlier, drink the energy drink yourself.  Those grand kids don't run out of energy until on the  way home.  Didn't realize myself how out of shape I am until that first flight helping my grandson.  By the way don't forget the picture after that first flight.  Have fun, DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here