News:

• May 02, 2024, 01:26:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Robot searches  (Read 303 times)

Offline Steve Glass

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Robot searches
« on: March 29, 2024, 12:11:16 PM »
It has been commented on that some threads here on Stunthanger have unrealistically high viewing figures and that this may be attributed to computer generated searches.

My question.  Do endless robotic searches use up precious resources? One can imagine that, if left unchecked, the word-wide-web will just grind to a halt? How might all these hits affect the running of the Stunthanger forum?

Just thinking

Steve

Offline Paul Wescott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Robot searches
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2024, 02:57:44 PM »
Greater minds than ours (well, most of ours) have access to the statistics and measurements of the traffic you speak of Steve.  If they’re not worried, then neither am I.

In another lifetime I designed international computer networks mostly for VoIP (voice over ip {internetworking protocol, as in TCP-IP, the language of the Internet}) running phone calls over computer networks to avoid long distance charges. One thing I know from that career is that the massive routers (Cisco, Juniper…) playing traffic cop all across the globe actually do a pretty darn good job of reducing the amount of unnecessary traffic across most of the Internet.  Also there are many safeguards against gridlock and anything approaching “grinding to a halt”.  It’s a fascinating topic but also an amazing cure for insomnia, so I’m out.

PW

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2024, 07:50:25 PM »
Those are called crawlers and Thanks for having them. Nothing to worry about
AMA 12366

Offline Arlan McKee

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2024, 10:02:59 PM »
If you notice the top 2 posts for views on the top page in the classified section have the keywords "Crankshaft" and "Wheel Hubs" in the subject. Those are words of interest to alot more people than just model airplane folks.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here