News:

• April 27, 2024, 03:35:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: roanoke va. flying  (Read 901 times)

Online louie klein

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
roanoke va. flying
« on: February 27, 2012, 05:50:44 AM »
Morn'in, I am looking for info about anybody flying c/l in the Roanoke Va. area. I am looking to retire down that way next year. Going down in August to scope out housing and I was hoping that there was existing activity to look forward to. Thanks.--LOUIE  H^^ D>K

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: roanoke va. flying
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 08:51:56 AM »
There are several posts in the Find One Teach One (FOTO) section of this site.    H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 10:11:34 AM »
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 11:07:03 AM »
Louie     When we have our contests at Huntersville NC I don't remember anyone from the Roanoke area. There is a group at Winston Salen NC and they are just over 100 miles south of Roanoke Va. The northern Va group would be a long ride. Where are you now and why Roanoke?
Ed
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 06:30:42 PM by Ed Ruane »
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 11:43:25 AM »
My buddy John Rakes lives just over the mountain from Roanoke.  He's the only active CL flyer I know of down that way.
Steve

Online louie klein

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 05:59:34 AM »
Hi Ed, I like Smith Mountain Lake. I am living on Long Island now and enjoy fishing and camping. It is getting costly here. Thanks guys!--LOUIE  H^^ D>K

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 06:51:55 AM »
Hi Louie   I have never been to Smith Mountain Lake Va.  Some areas of the Blue Ridge Mt's are very heavy tourest infested. Very high traffic and a lot of people in season. I go to the Blue Ridge Mt's a lot but stay away during the tourest peaks. If you go in August you should get a good idea of the traffic flow. Property value can be like gold in some of the Blue Ridge mountain towns. Come visit us at the Hunterville field when you come south.
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Online louie klein

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 06:37:23 AM »
Hi Ed, I found a club in northern Va. I may take a look around that area but again this looks like a tourist area also, being just south of D.C. There is water for boating here to. After I retire and settle down I do plan to make the rounds to contests with my camper and see the sites at the same time.I will keep you posted. Thanks alot.---LOUIE  H^^ D>K

Offline Dalton Hammett

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 09:32:59 AM »
Hello

Nothing of value to add but I hadn't thought of Smith Mtn. Lake for years,  used to go there when we still had small kids at home.   That - as well as the Blue Ridge area are beautiful places to visit.   We still get a whim every once in a while and take a trip over the parkway.    I hope you find some close flyers there - if you don't, let me know when you move and I'll take a plane next time we travel thru !!!!!!!

Dalton Hammett
Dalton Hammett  
Albion, Pa.
Bean Hill Flyers
AMA  29918

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here