News:

• April 27, 2024, 05:31:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Polarized Sunglasses  (Read 941 times)

Offline Paul Pomposo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
Polarized Sunglasses
« on: May 14, 2023, 07:03:02 PM »
Went to try out my new pair of polarized sunglasses that works great for driving and other daytime activities to only find out that the airplane blends in with the background. Makes finding level flight fun, NOT! I never had this happen with non-polarized lenses. For the last several years, I've gotten though the pattern fine without wearing any sunglasses. Has anyone experienced this issue?

Offline Dick Byron

• Vendor
  • Captain
Re: Polarized Sunglasses
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2023, 07:09:23 PM »
Try yellow lenses.

Offline Paul Pomposo

• Ensign
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2023, 07:12:07 PM »
These have a yellow tint.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2023, 07:13:58 PM »
Went to try out my new pair of polarized sunglasses that works great for driving and other daytime activities to only find out that the airplane blends in with the background. Makes finding level flight fun, NOT! I never had this happen with non-polarized lenses. For the last several years, I've gotten though the pattern fine without wearing any sunglasses. Has anyone experienced this issue?

I think they can definitely be too dark, for exactly that reason. I doubt that it has anything to do with the polarized lens per se, just the density. That's why I use my (non-polarized) Ray-Ban ambermatic when I go to fly. Only on rare occasions do I attempt to fly with the somewhat darker Serengeti Drivers (which is what I usually use for driving), usually when I have a migraine or early in the morning.

Brett

Offline Paul Pomposo

• Ensign
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2023, 07:19:23 PM »
These are darker than the non-polarized ones that I have used. I will keep away from darker glasses when flying.

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2023, 08:30:00 PM »
I have found a similar issue with yellow polarized.  I am farsighted so I can dispense with my glasses when I fly but my eyes are so sensitive to the sun that I cannot fly near it if I want to see the plane for the next 4 or so seconds so.  The wrap around yellow polarized biking glasses are a good compromise but I have found that I cannot see the timer LED with them on.  I have not noticed any blending with the background.  Maybe your fuselage color is not to the glasses liking.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Paul Pomposo

• Ensign
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2023, 10:17:51 PM »
The fuselage is dark red which doesn’t help. I’m thinking that the yellow lenses doesn’t give the contrast needed between the airplane and background.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2023, 11:27:36 PM »
The fuselage is dark red which doesn’t help. I’m thinking that the yellow lenses doesn’t give the contrast needed between the airplane and background.

The other effect is that the yellow/orange would tend to raise the brightness of the fuselage, but make the shadows darker on a clear day. That's because the filter passes yellow and tend to block blue, so the shadows (which on a sunny California day) are largely illuminated by blue light from the blue sky.

You may be able to count on color contrasts which I can't (red in particular looks a lot darker to me than to normal people, apparently, and blue brighter) but I do best with neutral color/gray on blue sky days, and much better with yellow/brown in the midwest (where even clear sky is much less blue). Then I paint my fuselage white and make it 3x bigger than everyone else!  Ambermatic works well for me in the widest array of conditions, but unfortunately they are not made any more and the only place to get them is at vintage sunglass places. They are bright yellow under dark conditions, go to brownish neutral in bright light and hot conditions, and dark blue-gray in bright light and cold conditions like snow.

One thing I found driving back from Oregon one year - they also work gangbusters at night, the yellow makes everything brighter, just like those goofy tactical sunglass commercials.

Brett

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2023, 07:06:12 AM »
This article is of some help.  The one question - "which color lets you look at the sun and still see your timer LED" wasn't among the options! LL~

https://www.verywellhealth.com/sunglasses-does-color-matter-3421920

This leads me to ask if blue is the only color LED we can use.  Most of the ones I see are either blue or red but I have no clue what is available or if it is even feasible to change colors.  It is obvious that my choice of Yellow may not be the best.  UV and blue light protection are not that important for the short time to fly a pattern but most of the glasses I have tried that actually let me fly close to the sun have both.  I just want to see the plane again if the sun is in the path of a maneuver without having to shift relative to the wind and see the timer light. 

Ken
« Last Edit: May 15, 2023, 07:33:26 AM by Ken Culbertson »
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Miotch

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2023, 07:30:10 AM »
last pair or prescription sunglasses I bought were polarized.  I will never do it again.  It only seemed to help me if on a boat on a sunny day, but had a negative impact to my brain a dozen different ways.  Especially trying to use my phone.  Just weird connection between my eyes and brain when I wore them.

Offline spare_parts

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2023, 07:50:48 AM »
Interesting. I've flown RC for 25 years with polarized prescription sunglasses. It never felt much different than my regular lenses. If anything, I feel I get better depth perception with polarized lenses.

Polarization does change the way the sky looks and contrast overall relative to the direction of the sun.
Greg

Offline Dick Byron

• Vendor
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2023, 08:03:55 AM »
Frank McMillian used shooters glasses.

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2023, 09:49:49 AM »
Use day glo paint on the fuselage!

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2023, 03:27:51 PM »
I have two old sets of prescription glasses with nice magnetic clip-on polarized lenses. One set of glasses has tinted lenses and the other set has clear lenses. I usually flew with the double tinted lenses on sunny days and didn't notice any problem. I recall one time I took off with the double tinted setup on a dark day and had to fly level-ish until I could pop off the clip-ons.

FWIW, one eye guy I went to said that it matters which direction the Polarization is oriented. Lines horizontal I think he said is normal and best for boating, but he said lines vertical was better for pilots...as I recall...which might be wrong.  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Paul Pomposo

• Ensign
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2023, 04:43:08 PM »
Found Ray Ban polarized glasses on the bay. Kind of pricey to experiment if I will like them. I might stick to non polarized but light in tint. Brett is right about going with a bright color fuselage.

Offline John Carrodus

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2023, 05:04:26 PM »
Personally I hate anything on or around my head, glasses, hat, scarf etc, especially steel control line while flying control line.  LL~

Offline Paul Pomposo

• Ensign
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2023, 05:32:18 PM »
That’s when it’s time to cut those loose.  LL~

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2023, 09:22:57 PM »
I have two old sets of prescription glasses with nice magnetic clip-on polarized lenses. One set of glasses has tinted lenses and the other set has clear lenses. I usually flew with the double tinted lenses on sunny days and didn't notice any problem. I recall one time I took off with the double tinted setup on a dark day and had to fly level-ish until I could pop off the clip-ons.

FWIW, one eye guy I went to said that it matters which direction the Polarization is oriented. Lines horizontal I think he said is normal and best for boating, but he said lines vertical was better for pilots...as I recall...which might be wrong.  H^^ Steve

This is correct, I think, because sometimes when you look down at your watch or tach, the numbers disappear!! You have to rotate things a bit to get the numbers back.
    Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here