News:

• May 09, 2024, 09:52:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Profile PT19  (Read 1322 times)

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Profile PT19
« on: May 10, 2023, 11:12:23 AM »
Was there ever a profile kit produced of the Fairchild PT19?  Now before anyone asks, no I am not thinking about getting back into the kit business but I would really like to find a kit (OR PLANS) but preferably a kit.  I looked on Outerzone but did not find a plan for a CL version of the PT19.  I am aware that the Hangar 9 ARF kit was discontinued.  Looking for something from .19 to .40 size.

Thank you
Mike

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Profile PT19
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2023, 12:52:04 PM »
  The Hanger 9 kit was nothing to get excited about. You can read my reviews and opinions here in the forums. Notice that it didn't spend a lot of time on the market!! As far as I can remember from reading the old mags and catalogs, there were no profile stunt kits that I can remember. If you know some one that has the file for  Walter Umland's reproduction of the Hemstraught/Midwest kit, I would have them cut you the ribs and what ever else you think is useful and then draw out a profile fuse and build using your favorite methods.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2023, 01:31:08 PM »
  The Hanger 9 kit was nothing to get excited about. You can read my reviews and opinions here in the forums. Notice that it didn't spend a lot of time on the market!! As far as I can remember from reading the old mags and catalogs, there were no profile stunt kits that I can remember. If you know some one that has the file for  Walter Umland's reproduction of the Hemstraught/Midwest kit, I would have them cut you the ribs and what ever else you think is useful and then draw out a profile fuse and build using your favorite methods.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

Thank you Dan.  I remember the reviews on the Hangar 9 kit and they were not good if I am not mistaken.

Mike

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2023, 05:32:15 PM »
Now guys was the kit made for competition or to get someone started in to control line.  I think wit trimming for flight it would have been a good first CL plane. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2023, 06:11:19 PM »
Now guys was the kit made for competition or to get someone started in to control line.  I think wit trimming for flight it would have been a good first CL plane. D>K

No Doc, it was sold as a stunt model. Came in two versions, with a EVO.36 or without. I think both came with lines and a handle. It was 'styled" after the Cox PT-19, in my opinion, with a short nose and tail moment, and the box art resembled the then current Cox PT-19 box, whether that was intentional or not, I don't know. At that time, lots of R/C clubs were shrinking and looking for membership and letting member fly C/L on site. Some older R/C guys probably had some of their stuff still, and figured it would be an easy does it re-entry into the old days of their youth, and I think that's who they marketed that airplane towards. Nothing "trainer" about it. It fit together really nice, and assembled easy enough. I was working at the hobby shop still at the time so I wanted the full kit with engine , and I assembled it 100% as per instructions. I broke the engine  in as per instructions but I could never get it ti run correctly from the get go. For first flights, I substituted a trusty OS.40FP. With a stock muffler, it still needed 2 ounces of nose weight to balance and the balance point in the instructions was wrong I believe. First flights were almost a disaster!! Using all the provided hardware and such, it was SUPER sensitive and was all I could do to keep it in the air. . I added an extension to the control horn to make the horn about 1 1/2" long, and added more nose weight. Once I did all of that, it would fly a good pattern. But if I was an R/C guy flying for the first time in 25 or 30 years, it would have ended in disaster. Built as per instruction, to the letter, it was unflyable in my opinion. I was lucky to get it back on the ground in one piece, and it seemed like it ran for an hour on 4 ounces of fuel!! I still have the airplane, and used to use it in demonstrations along with a Cox PT-19. I liked it enough ck then that when they announced it would be discontinued, I bought a replacement wing for it to use in a scratch built model. I made a tracing of the fuselage when i got it, and plan  on stretching the nose and the tail into something that looks about right when compared to the Midwest model and see how that goes, but keep it a profile. The last time I flew it, the bottom covering on the outboard wing decided to part ways with the wing, and that made things interesting, but I got it down in one piece. Just need to strip off what ever Chinacoat that was on there off, and and recover with Monokote.

Hey Mike!! I just remembered that I think Don Hutchinson did the PT-19 in his 40 powered warbird series. Some one o ut there may know for sure off the top of their head. I'm not sure where I could look it up at.

Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2023, 06:41:53 PM »
  Hey Mike!! I just remembered that I think Don Hutchinson did the PT-19 in his 40 powered warbird series

Dan, now that you mention it, I seem to remember that too.  I will do some searching or maybe someone who knows will see this post. I really appreciate your input. 

Mike

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2023, 08:32:53 PM »
I can supply copies of Don Hutchinson's PT-19/PT-26 plans, would need a few days.  I'd be very surprised if it's not a good flyer.

Dennis
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2023, 10:25:14 PM »
You can bash (what else?) a SIG Twister....

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2023, 06:29:52 AM »
Was there ever a profile kit produced of the Fairchild PT19?  Now before anyone asks, no I am not thinking about getting back into the kit business but I would really like to find a kit (OR PLANS) but preferably a kit.  I looked on Outerzone but did not find a plan for a CL version of the PT19.  I am aware that the Hangar 9 ARF kit was discontinued.  Looking for something from .19 to .40 size.

Thank you
Mike

I built a Midwest full fuselage 35-size PT-19.  It flew very well until I wrecked it in 1965.
Paul Smith

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2023, 07:44:37 PM »
Ears a Drg .

outerzone . & freddo .

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2023, 07:52:02 PM »
PT 20 might be the GO . Was there a C / L Stunt plan , way back .

If a Twister / Banshee cetras the starting point .

Ora .60 . or 2/3 the area , forra forty . Square roots & tecnical things like that . Maybe 0.775 odd . Perhaps .  Would PT20erise easilly . MATE .

Offline Pat Johnston

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2023, 08:47:15 AM »
Mike,
I have a PT-19 drawn up out of my “502” series. With the wing taper, I was able to use the standard 502 wing setup. The tail was practically identical to the P40 tail, so that provided an easy start. Just need to finish a little bit more on the nose. I’ll get you PDF files soon.
BTW, I finally got a chance to fly the Hellcat 502 yesterday and it flew great! Woo Hoo!
Pat Johnston
Idaho Skunk Works

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2023, 09:01:30 AM »
If you want a profile version of a model find a good set of plans for a full body version, RC or CL and instead of building a full body version of the fuselage build it flat.

I build all of my profiles with 1/16 balsa sides, 1/2 x 3/4 sticks and then another 1/16 side skin. Just as strong as a profile built from 1/2 thick balsa. In fact I don't use any plywood doublers in the nose since the fiberglass on the fuselage and the skins make the fuselage much more rigid than 1/2 balsa even without the doublers.

I simply use the side view on the full body plans for shape and wing location and scratch build the fuselage. Glue the 1/2 x 3/4 sticks together first, then take that off the bench and then skin the sides of the 3/4" thick structure.

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2023, 10:01:47 AM »
If you want a profile version of a model find a good set of plans for a full body version, RC or CL and instead of building a full body version of the fuselage build it flat.

I build all of my profiles with 1/16 balsa sides, 1/2 x 3/4 sticks and then another 1/16 side skin. Just as strong as a profile built from 1/2 thick balsa. In fact I don't use any plywood doublers in the nose since the fiberglass on the fuselage and the skins make the fuselage much more rigid than 1/2 balsa even without the doublers.

I simply use the side view on the full body plans for shape and wing location and scratch build the fuselage. Glue the 1/2 x 3/4 sticks together first, then take that off the bench and then skin the sides of the 3/4" thick structure.
n
Fred

Fred, Is there any rule about placement of the engine when converting the full fuse to a profile fuse?  For example does the center line of the engine have to line up with the wing or stab?  Or does in not make any difference?

Mike

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2023, 10:02:50 AM »
Mike,
I have a PT-19 drawn up out of my “502” series. With the wing taper, I was able to use the standard 502 wing setup. The tail was practically identical to the P40 tail, so that provided an easy start. Just need to finish a little bit more on the nose. I’ll get you PDF files soon.
BTW, I finally got a chance to fly the Hellcat 502 yesterday and it flew great! Woo Hoo!
Pat Johnston
Idaho Skunk Works

Thank you Pat.  I will send you an email in regard.

Mike

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2023, 11:38:52 AM »
Fred, Is there any rule about placement of the engine when converting the full fuse to a profile fuse?  For example does the center line of the engine have to line up with the wing or stab?  Or does in not make any difference?

Mike

The short answer is no, not really.
The longer answer is if you’re looking for Exactly identical turn radius for inside vs. outside, then yes it might make a small difference if the engine, wing, and stabilizer are not all on the same centerline. But unless they’re all grossly out of alignment, the difference will be negligible.

I’d just put the motor where it looks best.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Pat Johnston

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2023, 01:46:41 PM »
OK.  Gotter Done!  Here are PDF files of the PT-19 502.  Kind of a cute little plane.
Pat Johnston
Idaho Skunk Works

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2023, 01:58:09 PM »
I keep the same scale engine centerline as the full size aircraft. Some aircraft have a lot of down thrust. The one thing I do change from full size angles is the following:

Wing at 3 degrees from fuselage CL datum
zero degree angle of attack on the stabilizer. Some full size have a lot of positive angle of attack on the stab, makes the model fly tail high
I don't put any outward thrust in the engine, I trim the model with the line guide and tip weight.
I also do not put any right rudder on my models, some of my models do not have a vertical at all
If the model comes with ailerons I make it possible to adjust the aileron on the right wing to roll the model to the right (due to windy conditions).

All of this is for a CL scale model that typically is not trimmed for aerobatics, loops and inverted flight and such

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2023, 04:46:19 PM »

Mike

Are you building for scale or stunt? If scale, then put the prop where the prop goes on the full-scale plane.

If you're building a semi-scale stunt, then you probably want to locate the engine for the best vertical location of the CG -- this means dropping it a bit ( :o -- 1/2"?  1/4"??? ) from where it'd be on a full-bodied plane.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Joe Gilbert

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2023, 07:05:03 PM »
Mike get a set of Don Hutchinson’s plans and build to to plans ,it will fly better than 75 percent of the flyers can fly now. I have flown six of his designs and all were capable.
Joe Gilbert

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here