News:

• April 25, 2024, 08:22:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ritch's Brew Fuel Availability  (Read 2764 times)

Offline Colin McRae

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • Are we having fun yet??
Ritch's Brew Fuel Availability
« on: February 25, 2023, 12:05:15 PM »
It is hard to find glow fuel where I live, at least not the type of fuel I normally use. I have tried to order some glow fuel from Ritch's Brew. I tex'd them with an order I wanted but have not heard much back from them for close to a month now. Ritch's did acknowledge that they received my text, but then nothing, no correspondence!

Are others having trouble getting fuel from Ritch's Brew? Just curious.

Thanks
« Last Edit: February 25, 2023, 12:27:28 PM by Colin McRae »

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Ritch's Brew Fuel Availability
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2023, 01:51:34 PM »
Call FHS Supply/ Red Max Fuel.  I ordered 6 gallons of my own special mix on Wednesday.  Arrived about an hour ago UPS.  South Carolina- Kansas.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2023, 02:00:41 PM »
Call FHS Supply/ Red Max Fuel.  I ordered 6 gallons of my own special mix on Wednesday.  Arrived about an hour ago UPS.  South Carolina- Kansas.

Dave

Thx

Online Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2023, 07:54:47 AM »
We generally bought our brew at The Toledo RC Show from Randy direct.

The Show was down a year or two due to the Chinese flu scare and/or the precieved lack of profit to the club.

During that time we were able to have pallet of fuel shipped to a local flyer who EASILY shopped the excess to those of us in the area.

If you live in a fuel-starved region you could buy a pallet and be the local broker.
Paul Smith

Offline Tom_Fluker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2023, 09:55:41 AM »
Give them a call.  That's the best way to get things going.

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2023, 10:12:15 AM »
Give them a call.  That's the best way to get things going.

I did call and talked to Randy Ritch. Discussed what I wanted to purchase and to get pricing. Then I requested an order. He acknowledged the order request, then no correspondence for about month now. I did text him twice requesting status of order request, but no reply to date.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2023, 01:26:02 PM »
I did call and talked to Randy Ritch. Discussed what I wanted to purchase and to get pricing. Then I requested an order. He acknowledged the order request, then no correspondence for about month now. I did text him twice requesting status of order request, but no reply to date.

Did Randy Ritch request credit card numbers, and did you give them to him on the phone? If not, I wouldn't expect any fuel would be shipped.

As an alternate source, you might consider ordering from Lou Wolgast in Tucson...or Phoenix. He's closer, so shipping cost should be less. I wouldn't question the fuel quality from either source.  D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Chuck Matheny

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2023, 01:56:56 PM »
Back when gasoline was about $2 a gallon I bought a 55 gallon drum of methanol from a Standard Oil Distributor for exactly $3 per gallon..[and they tossed in the drum for free]
I also bought 6  jugs of SIG Castor ... 6 jugs of Klotz KL200...and a 5 gallon can of VP Fuels Nitro.
The only ingredient I ran out of so far has been the nitro...so I have bought a jug of 60% nitro commercial fuel to satisfy that need for now.
Damn it makes me feel so wise whenever I get the chance to brag about this cost cutting and most  "prepperish" maneuver.....LOL.
Hopefully this post will inspire some of you  diehard Nitroholics to take the bull by the horns and "stick it to the man" / "beat the system" even if it requires conspiring with some of your local "like minded comrades" to make doing something on this scale doable.

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2023, 02:10:54 PM »
Did Randy Ritch request credit card numbers, and did you give them to him on the phone? If not, I wouldn't expect any fuel would be shipped.

As an alternate source, you might consider ordering from Lou Wolgast in Tucson...or Phoenix. He's closer, so shipping cost should be less. I wouldn't question the fuel quality from either source.  D>K Steve

No, I did not give Ritch's any $$ so far. I told him when he was ready to call me and to get credit card info.

He has not called. Been about a month.

I will keep waiting but was just curious if others have had a similar experience.

Offline Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2023, 04:49:31 PM »
I've had good luck with this firm:  https://s-whobby.com/

Offline Dave Harmon

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • Tulsa Glue Dobbers C/L and R/C Clubs
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2023, 08:40:27 AM »
No, I did not give Ritch's any $$ so far. I told him when he was ready to call me and to get credit card info.

He has not called. Been about a month.

I will keep waiting but was just curious if others have had a similar experience.

Don't wait.....
I called them sometime back and whoever answered was sarcastic and sort of unfriendly.....
Now I mix my own...

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2023, 04:06:41 PM »
I've had good luck with this firm:  https://s-whobby.com/

I did look into s-w hobby. I emailed them with a few questions and their response was very derogatory and rude. I won't be purchasing anything from them!

Offline Brian Stas

• 23 supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2023, 07:23:39 PM »
Randy is a good guy, we see him every year at the Nats.  I know he was knee deep in a BIG BBQ or Chili contest that he ended up doing very well, possibly winning.  Perhaps that's what has been part of the delay. 

Offline Joe Ed Pederson

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2023, 09:09:14 AM »
I sent FHS Supply (Red Max Fuel in South Carolina) an email late last night asking for a quote on a custom order and got the response this morning before 10:00 am Eastern Standard Time. 

I was half expecting a response that asking for 4 quarts each of three separate custom blends was just too small an order for them to mess with, but it wasn't and the prices were really good ($24.32 for 4 quarts of the 10% nitro fuel and $26.04 for 4 quarts of the 15% nitro fuel.)

I also ordered 2 quarts of castor oil and 2 quarts of their synthetic oil.  Two quarts of castor was $26.96 and two quarts of their synthetic was $26.00.  I'm thinking that those are pretty good prices as well.

Of course, UPS was the killer.   At $50.00 for shipping, you could get two gallons of fuel if you could pick it up from a supplier at a contest, but that wasn't an option this time around.

Joe Ed Pederson
Cuba, MO

Offline doug coursey

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2023, 09:36:23 AM »
WHEN WE WERE FLYING RC HELICOPTERS WE WOULD BUY A 55 GAL DRUM OF FUEL FROM RED MAX AND SPLIT IT UP....GOOD QUALITY FUEL...WE WOULD EMPTY THE DRUM AT ONE TIME AND FILL ALL OUR JUGS AT ONE TIME
AMA 21449

Offline Dave Rigotti

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • "Electric...The future of anytime stunt"
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2023, 10:40:39 AM »
Joe,
It's not clear to me your stated prices.  Is 4 quarts 10% at $24.32 the total or for each? Same goes for the 15% and the oils?

I sent FHS Supply (Red Max Fuel in South Carolina) an email late last night asking for a quote on a custom order and got the response this morning before 10:00 am Eastern Standard Time. 

I was half expecting a response that asking for 4 quarts each of three separate custom blends was just too small an order for them to mess with, but it wasn't and the prices were really good ($24.32 for 4 quarts of the 10% nitro fuel and $26.04 for 4 quarts of the 15% nitro fuel.)

I also ordered 2 quarts of castor oil and 2 quarts of their synthetic oil.  Two quarts of castor was $26.96 and two quarts of their synthetic was $26.00.  I'm thinking that those are pretty good prices as well.

Of course, UPS was the killer.   At $50.00 for shipping, you could get two gallons of fuel if you could pick it up from a supplier at a contest, but that wasn't an option this time around.

Joe Ed Pederson
Cuba, MO
Dave Rigotti
AMA 66859
Chesterland, Ohio

Offline Joe Ed Pederson

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2023, 11:24:44 AM »
Dave,

Sorry I wasn't clear.  They sell quarts in "cases" of 4 quarts, 6 quarts, 12 quarts, 24 quarts.  I ordered one case of 4 quarts of 10% nitro and 25% castor.  For those 4 quarts the price he quoted and charged me was $6.08 per quart for a total of $24.32 for 4 quarts (1 gallon's worth of fuel.

The 10% nitro, 13% castor and 13% synthetic was the same price per quart.

The 15% nitro, 11% castor and 11% synthetic was $6.51 per quart.

The castor was $13.48 per quart and the synthetic oil was $13.00 per quart.

Joe Ed 

Offline Reptoid

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2023, 01:43:37 PM »
    People need to remember that most all the "Fuel" blenders for models these days are cottage industry operations not giant chemical plants. (With the exception of VP Powermaster) and even that is a very small subsidiary of VP Racing Fuels.
   The Federal and local regulations on these businesses is unbelievable and has driven many of them out of business over the years (including Sig from the looks of it) In Particular Nitromethane is very difficult to buy and the requirements to possess and store it in larger quantities require "Fort Knox" Government approved security and miles of paperwork.
   Shipping is an almost prohibitive cost in any small quantity and with the demise of most local Hobby Shops large shipment of pallets to warehouses for Hobby shops is nearly dead. If you're trying to order a couple gallons or one case, these venders have no control of the cost to ship to you. 
     Of the venders listed Randy Ritch of Ritch's Brew does the most for the Hobby. He supplies (donates) all of the fuel for CL Combat, CL racing, and Pylon Racing every year at the Nationals as well as selling fuel to customers who want to stock up. He also supplies fuel at Several large combat and pylon contests during the year.
   I make all of my own fuel because I fly things that require different types of fuel and making it gives me more flexibility. I have purchased ingredients from FHS (Red Max, S&W fuels, and Randy at Ritch's Brew over the years and didn't have any problems but I didn't expect super quick turn around. Years ago I bought ingredients from Don Nix of Powermaster when he was in California and later in TX. After he sold the business to VP Fuels they wouldn't, and still won't, sell ingredients to me, although you can buy their Methanol and 50/50 from local speed shops. Morgan (Cool Power) has never been controline friendly in my experience and refused to sell me oil so my opinion of them is negative.
Regards,
       Don
       AMA # 3882

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2023, 02:46:27 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the great info. I will just wait on Randy Ritch.

FHS Supply RedMax fuel is another option for me. And not a bad price if you get a big case (20 quarts). After including shipping, like $8-$9 per quart for 5% nitro fuel for example.

Offline Dave Harmon

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2023, 03:24:38 PM »
After watching the incredible price some folks are paying for fuel....I calculated exactly what it costs me to mix my own.
Not including containers.

GMA
10% nitro
11% Synth
11% castor
Balance alky
$16.13

Offline Reptoid

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2023, 04:40:28 PM »
After watching the incredible price some folks are paying for fuel....I calculated exactly what it costs me to mix my own.
Not including containers.

GMA
10% nitro
11% Synth
11% castor
Balance alky
$16.13
Apparently, you haven't bought ingredients for a long while. At todays prices for ingredients it will be more like $22-$25. If you can do that at todays prices, please let us know where to buy ingredients that cheap. (including shipping)
Regards,
       Don
       AMA # 3882

Offline Dave Harmon

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2023, 09:19:17 PM »
Apparently, you haven't bought ingredients for a long while. At todays prices for ingredients it will be more like $22-$25. If you can do that at todays prices, please let us know where to buy ingredients that cheap. (including shipping)

Well Don.....you sound skeptical....come to Tulsa, it's available.
Is last month too long ago for you??

Offline Reptoid

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2023, 12:59:07 AM »
Well Don.....you sound skeptical....come to Tulsa, it's available.
Is last month too long ago for you??
Please share the info because I have friends all over the Country and none of them can buy Nitro, Synthetic oil, or Castor cheap enough to equal that. Methanol is almost irrelevent and fairly easy to source.
Regards,
       Don
       AMA # 3882

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2023, 11:22:37 AM »
>> I've had good luck with this firm:  https://s-whobby.com/

> I did look into s-w hobby. I emailed them with a few questions and their response was very derogatory and rude. I won't be purchasing anything from them!

Sorry to hear about the rudeness!

Our local club bought about five cases mixed to our specs.  If I recall, we did the negotiations as to price / availability over the phone.  Order was made up and shipped promptly, especially well packed.  We continue to enjoy that fuel. 

I ran out of fuel last season about mid-season, then decided to offer fuel for sale at contests, club meetings, etc.  At one point I was offering field fueling kits with one liter bottle, fuel cap fittings and syringes, as well.

Peter

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2023, 11:25:03 AM »
What's a good price / source for oil?

Offline Reptoid

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2023, 12:25:38 PM »
You can get Synthetic and/or castor from S&W: Avenger 2 Stroke $50/Gal , and Racing Castor $30/Gal  Shipping adds to cost but should be less for you since you're close.
Klotz Original Technoplate is what most use now for synthetic because it Is the most available. Best deal right now is here:https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M6B8YRC?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details $60/Gal shipped to you. You can also get Castor or Synthetic from Ritch's or FHS (Red Max)but shipping makes them more expensive.
Regards,
       Don
       AMA # 3882

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2023, 12:25:54 PM »
I haven’t shopped price recently but I have been ok with price and availability with these:
Red Technoplate...Amazon
Castor...an online apothecary.. Make Your Own Buzz
Clear synthetic...FHS Red Max

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Online Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2023, 06:39:29 PM »
"I've had good luck with this firm:  https://s-whobby.com/"    This is the person I order from.  For those who are going to the Lebanon Swap Meet, S&W can have fuel for you there.  You need to call him ahead of time to order CL fuel.  It's not listed on the web site.

Offline Joe Ed Pederson

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2023, 06:52:19 AM »
I sent FHS Supply (Red Max Fuel in South Carolina) an email late last night asking for a quote on a custom order and got the response this morning (Feb 28th)before 10:00 am Eastern Standard Time. 

Joe Ed Pederson
Cuba, MO

Update:  I confirmed and paid for my order about noon Eastern Standard Time on February 28th and my small custom blend order arrived yesterday, March 2.  That's what I call excellent service!

Joe Ed

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2023, 09:21:29 AM »

Dave

Dave, thanks for the heads up on FHS Supply (RedMax fuel). I gave up on Ritch's as they never responded to my order request after multiple attempts. So, I did order from FHS. My fuel order showed up at my door in Calif in 5 days. They were great to work with. I ordered a 20 qt case of different fuel blends (some 5 nitro, 15 nitro and some all-castor fuel). Was no problem. The 20 qt case with delivery was $173 which works out to be an average of $8.65/qt or $34.60/gal delivered. I did a lot of price research, and FHS was the best price I could find for purchased fuel.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here