News:

• May 14, 2024, 04:02:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ringmaster Flyathon  (Read 5423 times)

Online Motorman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Ringmaster Flyathon
« on: June 30, 2016, 12:40:13 PM »
Just got word Ringmaster flyathon to include most laps in a single flight. Thoughts.

MM

Offline Mark Knoepfle

• 2016 supporter
  • Lieutenant
Re: Ringmaster Flyathon
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 12:56:52 PM »
Start designing that in air refueling system!

Mark

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 02:25:22 PM »
Never mind the laps. Who'll be the first to fly a quadcopter that has appendages added to resemble a Ringmaster and show up on Flyathon Day and (mistakenly) expect to get a round of applause?   LL~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 03:13:33 PM »
What about an honorable mention for the hottest/coldest temperature?

Offline CircuitFlyer

• Commander
    • www.circuitflyer.com
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 03:22:47 PM »
Earlier this year, Doug Blackmore of the Balsa beavers had his Ringmaster Jr. airborne for 65 minutes.  I can't remember off hand how many laps that was.  Kinda hard to top that one.

Paul
Paul Emmerson
Spinning electrons in circles in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada DIY Control Line Timers - www.circuitflyer.com

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 03:47:42 PM »
Never mind the laps. Who'll be the first to fly a quadcopter that has appendages added to resemble a Ringmaster and show up on Flyathon Day and (mistakenly) expect to get a round of applause?   LL~ Steve

What if the wings pivot like an X-22?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 04:25:54 PM »
Back in the fifties A Ringmaster, Fox 35 running Testers 39 fuel set the world endurance record.  Don't remember how long it lasted but they were pumping fuel down a tube attached to the lines.   Flight ended when the line came loose at the airplane.   Testers 39 ran a big full page add about the event.  Seems like the flight lasted all day and part of the night.  Anybody remember this event and have details?
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2016, 06:45:02 PM »
Was the Fox 35 broken in after that?

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2016, 07:03:11 PM »
Was the Fox 35 broken in after that?

It must have had a Randy Aero "Zoot" crankshaft in it. I'd think they'd have added some castor to the Testor's 39..."Bug Killer" of the 1950's. LL~  Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Online Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2016, 10:21:44 PM »
The zoot cranks are softer than OEM.

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2016, 11:50:45 PM »
Was making a funny...most Fox cranks don't last all that long. Not that I've ever broken one, but Pete Peterson used up a lot of them, running his 11,000+ launch rpm on a 10.5 x 4.5 APC. He even broke a Zoot crank. I'm not sure if the snout falls off or the crank snaps across the port or just what. 

I believe Randy used 4340 on the Zoot cranks...pretty tough stuff, even in fairly soft condition. Didn't Duke case-harden his cranks? May have been 1018, I don't know. But that could explain the "hard/soft" difference. Did you Rockwell them, or test them with a file?   ??? Steve

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2016, 06:38:09 AM »
Fascinating what you Stunt Hanger guys can come up with! I would not be surprised if someone does a repeat of the Testers endurance flight during this year's Fly-A-Thon.
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2016, 06:51:00 AM »
Fascinating what you Stunt Hanger guys can come up with! I would not be surprised if someone does a repeat of the Testers endurance flight during this year's Fly-A-Thon.

Not me!! Endurance flight is a young man's sport.  Even with a lrge size team you have to be on your feet for hours.  However it would be fun to watch - from a lawn char!

LL~   LL~   LL~
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2016, 09:08:08 AM »
I was thinking 1/2a on a 3' G line set up.

The zoot crank you can cut with carbide tools, the oem crank you need grinding stones.
MM

Offline Terrence Durrill

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2016, 09:30:08 AM »
Back in the fifties A Ringmaster, Fox 35 running Testers 39 fuel set the world endurance record.  Don't remember how long it lasted but they were pumping fuel down a tube attached to the lines.   Flight ended when the line came loose at the airplane.   Testers 39 ran a big full page add about the event.  Seems like the flight lasted all day and part of the night.  Anybody remember this event and have details?

Seems to me I saw something about that back in the 1950's and these two guys were using an R/C trainer converted to Control Line, a Veco ..35 and were pumping the fuel through the long fuel line from center circle to the aircraft.  I have that ad somewhere in my magazine collection (I think it was a Veco advertisment) somewhere.  I will have to look it up when I get a chance.    D>K    H^^

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2016, 02:20:02 PM »

It wasn't a Ringmaster! See the scan of the ad that Tyrone posted above! NO reason to do something like this during a Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon.
 D>K Steve

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2016, 02:24:59 PM »
I was thinking 1/2a on a 3' G line set up.

The zoot crank you can cut with carbide tools, the oem crank you need grinding stones.
MM

"Case hardening" would explain that. Is that the same thing as "nitriding"? Duke's ads said they did that to early Eagle .60 cylinders.   D>K Steve

Online Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2016, 02:30:37 PM »
It wasn't a Ringmaster! See the scan of the ad that Tyrone posted above! NO reason to do something like this during a Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon.
 D>K Steve

Read the OP. They are going to keep record of most laps per flight which means you could be the world champion of Ringmaster laps in a single flight.

This year we are requiring a minimum of 5 laps to count as an official flight! This will level the playing field for those that want to compare their numbers with those of others. This rule does not apply for new pilots who have never soloed before the Fly-A-Thon. On the other hand, I don't remember the record number of laps reported for a single flight but you may wish to try for a large lap number this year. Long flight or short we are all celebrating the wonderful hobby of Control Line Modeling by flying some form of Ringmaster in the 9th Fly-A-Thon!!

MM

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2016, 02:40:37 PM »
The reply was about duplicating the Testor's 39 Record Flight, which was NOT done with a Ringmaster. As previously suggested, until Ty posted the scan of the advertisement. If somebody wants to fly a Ringmaster for an hour, that's not the same thing, is it?

How do you manage the pilot switching, with the safety thong? Don't you use one? I don't think we've ever had a flying site where we weren't required to use a safety thong, so my perspective may be skewed on that point.  I'm good for about 7 or 8 level laps, but I stagger around all the time anyway, what with the peripheral neuropathy.   D>K Steve

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2016, 04:13:56 PM »
Hey, safety thongs on handles weren't required until a few years ago.   Melvin's Ringmaster with a newer Fox .35 Stunt was doing about 28 - 30 laps a tank.  Tank was 1 ounce.  It is a good way to break in a Fox if done right. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2016, 08:46:04 PM »
There are no rules except ringmaster type plane. I was needing to build a new endurance plane, might as well make it a Ringmaster with a lifting airfoil. The only problem is I need an asphalt circle to fly it.

MM

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2016, 07:30:38 AM »
You know where the circle is. We timed your Dad years ago.

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2016, 09:45:05 AM »
OK, An endurance flight is just an idea that I threw out there because I thought that some of you might like to do something different. If you want to give it a try I believe that there should be some simple rules so that you can compare your flight to what others might report.

Here are the rules:

1) The plane must be an S-1 Ringmaster with standard configuration

2) The engine can be any engine you can hang on the front of a standard S-1.
Engine modifications are permitted.

3) The tank and fuel are of your choice

4) You report not only laps but also engine tank configuration

I hope some of you have a great deal of fun with this!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 10:13:17 AM by John Cralley »
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline Fredvon4

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2016, 10:41:59 AM »
Not much caring about the endurance flights as this thread morphed into discussing

I am a CL flier of one in Lampasas Texas and flew the RM fly a thon first time last year with my son. We only had a RM 1/2a BiPlane and we had a blast

I Have since got a Mike Griffen ARF RM fox 35 that flies well
I also have a Core House RST with RM flavor and LA 25 that flies better
I am just now finishing a Pat Johnston RM S-1 with BBTU OS FP 20 power
and I have  a Pat Johnston 526 Ring Master but will not be done for this year's Fly A Thon
Seriously considering a trip to Houston for the RM round up

WHY?
at 4 +/- years old I helped my Daddy build a McCoy 35 ignition powered Sterling Ring Master and this loved and hated plane is my original nostalgic beginning into this very fulfilling hobby I am sharing with my children and grand children
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Online Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2016, 05:54:28 PM »
Here are the rules:

1) The plane must be an S-1 Ringmaster with standard configuration

2) The engine can be any engine you can hang on the front of a standard S-1.
Engine modifications are permitted.

3) The tank and fuel are of your choice

4) You report not only laps but also engine tank configuration

I hope some of you have a great deal of fun with this!

Well, that takes it out of the realm of a competitive AMA CL endurance plane. I'll still fly in the flyathon and keep notes for my club but no longer interested in most laps per flight.

MM

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here