News:

• May 13, 2024, 09:04:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ride to the Western Canada Stunt Championships  (Read 2238 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Ride to the Western Canada Stunt Championships
« on: June 15, 2013, 05:45:46 PM »
I have a business trip to Toronto the week of the 22nd, and I'm toying with the notion of competing in the Western Canada Stunt Championships on Saturday, then flying to Toronto from there on Sunday.

Is there anyone from the Portland area who's going, who's not staying at a $$$$ hotel (or who's staying at a $$$$ hotel next to a TravelLodge, or who wants to split a room and listen to my quite melodious snoring), and who would give me a ride?  I'll share gas money.  I'd come up with you, fly on Saturday, get a taxi to the airport (I hope!!), get a flight back to PDX from Toronto, then pick my plane up the following weekend or the week of the 29th or whatever made sense.  You'd have to plan on budgeting an extra half hour or hour at the border while I convince Canadian Immigration that they want to give me a work permit, but since it's an engineering gig I'm supposed to be a shoo-in under NAFTA, and I've been able to get in every time so far without too much trouble.

(I was thinking of driving myself up and asking someone to store my car, or for information on parking costs at the Vancouver airport -- that's my #2 option, or maybe #3 behind just bagging the whole idea).

AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Ride to the Western Canada Stunt Championships
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 06:44:40 PM »
Typically, the only person that shows up from PDX is Don McClave, and he stays at the Hilton, I think.

How about driving to Renton on Thursday night, driving to BC Friday AM and flying back into Seattle? Might find you a free flop in Canada, too. Perhaps even a free ride to YVR, depending on the ETD. I guess that'd be Plan 2.4?  LL~ Steve

PS: You've got a Passport, right?
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline keith varley

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 07:25:39 PM »
Tim    It would be very nice if you made it up here to our contest.  However this year, Don  will not be here.Since the dates chosen for the U.S.Nats turn out to be the very same weekend as our contest.Don't let that discourage you from coming.
The motel that Don discovered is the Holiday Inn Express Riverport. In Richmond BC on number 6 road.It is certainly new and very close to our flying site.I went into the lobby last year to investigate and was  impressed as to it's suitability. Here is our web site , with a picture or two.
http://myvgmc.ca/      Keith

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 09:48:18 PM »
Steve: Yes, I have a passport.  I just spent a week in Calgary working with a new client, in fact.

Keith: I'm still not sure if I can get my ducks in a row, but my wife mentioned that she might be willing to drive me to the airport, even if it's a bit farther north than the usual airport.  We'll see if it happens.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Chris Cox

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 09:55:24 AM »
Hi Tim

Da Dirt has first dibs on the spare bed at our home, but I'm sure we can fit you in if you wish.  A ride to YVR would be no problem at all. It would be great you see you in the frozen north.

Offline keith varley

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 11:33:27 AM »
There you go Tim , an offer you can't refuse. Keith

Offline dirty dan

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 12:57:34 PM »
As long as you are leaving your wife at home I would like to note that on the other side of the highway from flying field there is a rather large fruit stand. Huge piles of fresh blueberries. Ditto for cherries.

Best of all, there are more hot Asian chicks per square meter of this establishment than you can imagine.

Dan

Dan Rutherford

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 04:57:33 PM »
Careful, Dan.  You never know quite what they're cookin' inside those silky sleeves.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 03:08:23 PM »
Dan, please provide more detailed instructions for finding this incredibly well stocked fruit & vegetable stand. I really don't like blueberries or cherries, but melons...hmmmmm, good!   DV^^ Steve
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 07:48:49 PM by Steve Helmick »
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline dirty dan

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 12:23:54 PM »
Dan, please provide more detailed instructions for finding this incredibly well stocked fruit & vegetable stand. I really don't like blueberries or cherries, but melons...hmmmmm, good!   DV^^ Steve

As you get off Hyw. 99 the usual route to flying field is to go to the light and turn left. In order to get to the fruitstand of which I speak, turn right.

Ah, but surely the locals can give better directions. And Keith Varley would be my first choice. He would no doubt enjoy going with you. Just for basic research, don't ya know. Nudge-nudge, wink-wink...

Dan
Dan Rutherford

Offline keith varley

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2013, 08:17:29 AM »
Moi?

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2013, 10:59:29 AM »
As you can see, Keith is old now and forgot his own name.  He knows his melons, though.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline dirty dan

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2013, 11:54:55 AM »
As you can see, Keith is old now and forgot his own name.  He knows his melons, though.

I'm not sure about the melons comment and not just because it's cheap and easy. Especially as two of your best traits are being both cheap and easy.

Back to Keith and when it comes to women, I believe he admires those with callipygian (look it up) characteristics most of all.

Dan

Dan Rutherford

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2013, 12:03:24 PM »
As you can see, Keith is old now and forgot his own name.  He knows his melons, though.

Ah, but Keith still remembers a smattering of French, from his days of living in eastern Canada, oui?   ;)

Offline dirty dan

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2013, 12:07:00 PM »
Ah, but Keith still remembers a smattering of French, from his days of living in eastern Canada, oui?   ;)

It is thought Keith's comment directly related to a decades-old fascination with Miss Piggy. Not his bipolar homeland.

Dan
Dan Rutherford

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2013, 05:41:03 PM »
It is thought Keith's comment directly related to a decades-old fascination with Miss Piggy. Not his bipolar homeland.

Dan

I think Keith is more of a Lady Gaga enthusiast... LL~

Offline Chris Cox

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2013, 07:52:52 PM »
Dan

I find it distressing when you make Keith the butt of your jokes!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2013, 08:34:53 AM »
Be glad it is Keith and not you. LL~ LL~ LL~
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline keith varley

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2013, 09:16:35 AM »
Don't worry Chris, it's all under control.I can slap these guys down , at any time ,with a clever "turn of phrase" that would make these cute little mindless devils go hide their butts in a corner in shame. Keith
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 12:12:45 PM by keith varley »

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2013, 01:32:56 PM »
We'll turn the other phrase.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2013, 04:07:03 PM »
Well, it looks like the schedule going to work out for me this year after all.

Dangit.

You folks have fun with it.
AMA 64232

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here