News:

• May 06, 2024, 08:35:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Results AND PHOTOS from the 2011 Golden State Stunt Championships  (Read 3969 times)

Offline Uncle Jimby

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Here are the results of the 33rd Annual Golden State Stunt Championships.

Thanks to CD Jerry Silver and the weatherman for a great contest.

I would like to express my gratitude to the following individuals and groups for their very generous financial support of this event:

Brian Massey, Lanny Shorts, Clint Ormosen, Pete Cunha, Bill Heyworth, Howard Rush, Kevin Ferrell, Truman Humphries, Joel Chesler, Kirk Mullinix, Doris Tichy, Jerry Silver, Brett Buck, Ted Fancher, Dennis Choate, The PC Flyers and Justin Sparr of Aerospace Composites. I hope I haven't forgotten to mention anyone.

WE NOW HAVE BILL KIPP's PHOTOS.  (there are also some at the bottom of this thread)

Jim Aron

« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 11:20:55 AM by Uncle Jimby »

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Results from the 2011 Golden State Stunt Championships
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 06:44:52 PM »
Thanks for all your efforts, Jimby. You made sure we all had a good time. Also, thanks for fixing the Classic results before posting them on the forums.  ;)
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 11:06:43 AM »
Yes, it was a Great Contest!! Between Jerry Silver (Knights of the Round Circle) and Jim Aron (Woodland Davis Aeromodelers) the contest was impeccably run. Kudos too to the pit bosses who really kept the flow going smoothly. Who ever ordered the weather was masterful for sure; sun, light wind (almost to light at times) and temps near the 80 mark; today (two days later) it is much cooler and windy!

I'm not sure how the judges were able to determine a Concours winner at the banquet; just too many beautiful airplanes! One of the most unique was Phil Granderson's "American Pi". And then there was of course, my plane . . . way back in the back row (I fully expected to see the judge moving it just keep rolling it out the exit.)

Here's a few photos before the officials hit the forums.

Brian
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 11:49:44 AM by Brian Massey »
While flying the pattern, my incompetence always exceeds my expectations.

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 11:10:18 AM »
Its great to see a picture of a restored Systrema in flight after the condition it was in this past summer.  I hope it works better than ever!
Steve

Offline Uncle Jimby

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 11:17:50 AM »
Its great to see a picture of a restored Systrema in flight after the condition it was in this past summer.  I hope it works better than ever!

Well, as a matter of fact, it is working better.  The full span flaps and the 1/2 oz. weight loss have improved the corner.  Who woulda thunk that doinking the airplane was the ultimate trim adjustment??

Jim

Offline Uncle Jimby

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 11:21:56 AM »
One of the most unique was Phil Granderson's "Lifestyle".

Brian

Sadly, Phil's airplane, "American Pi" (not Lifestyle), had an unfriendly confrontation with the planet when his motor up and stopped in the wingover.  It didn't look too bad from afar, but Phil mentioned that the wing spar broke.

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 11:48:42 AM »
Sadly, Phil's airplane, "American Pi" (not Lifestyle), had an unfriendly confrontation with the planet when his motor up and stopped in the wingover.  It didn't look too bad from afar, but Phil mentioned that the wing spar broke.
Yes that was too bad about the motor quiting; I was out helping Bob Swan in the practice area when it happened. I can't believe it when an electric motor just quits! That's the second "e-quit" I've seen in the past few weeks; the same thing happened to one of our club members. I thought that wasn't supposed to happen to electrics.

When I spoke with Phil afterwards he felt the damage was only the bottom of the fuse where the landing gear was ripped off; I'm sorry to hear it's more extensive.

Thanks for the name correction, when resizing the photo I read "lifestyle" on the fuse and it just stuck with me. I knew the name, I got a good chuckle reading the footlong pi formula on the wing at the banquet. Oh well, I'm old.

I'm glad your plane is flying better than before. Strange how that can happen.

Brian
While flying the pattern, my incompetence always exceeds my expectations.

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Online Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 12:01:47 PM »
Great contest! Beautiful weather.  I hope there is no fallout from that guy who came to complain about the noise!

Bummer about Phil's model!  It was magnificent.  I have a pile of "before" photos if anyone needs them.  Any word on why the motor quit?  As a newbie to electric, I would really like to know what to look out for!
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 12:26:03 PM »
Sadly, Phil's airplane, "American Pi" (not Lifestyle), had an unfriendly confrontation with the planet when his motor up and stopped in the wingover.

Well, I have been assured that low-level logic or embedded processors have no failure history so I am certain that at least that was not a problem.

Brett

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 12:40:21 PM »
My motto:  NEVER TRUST ANYTHING ELECTRONIC !

FLOYD
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2011, 04:53:28 PM »

Since when does electric motors not do something it's supposed to?
Matt Colan

Offline Uncle Jimby

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2011, 05:43:00 PM »
Since when does electric motors not do something it's supposed to?

..since when you pull up into something like a wingover I guess.  I personally have seen electric stoppage 3 times now and it makes me nervous since I am building an electric Systrema.

Jim

Offline schuang

• Ensign
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2011, 11:02:35 PM »
I was the one lunching Phil for that plactice flight.  The model came down in front of me.  The motor quit when climb vertically at the mid way entering the reverse wingover.  Phil stepped back and made a loop but still has not enough altitude to clear the ground.  We immediately thought a discharged battery was mistakenly used but we ruled it out later by a volt meter.

Phil did tweak up the rpm at hubin timer's setting right before the flight but I am not sure that was related to the accident.

It did some damage to the plane, but the wing and fuse are still in one piece.  Hope it is an easy fix!  I told Phil if uncle jimmy can do it, he can do it, too!

Phil said he will download the cc esc log when he gets home.

Regards,

Sean

Offline Uncle Jimby

• Commander
Re: Results AND PHOTOS from the 2011 Golden State Stunt Championships
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2011, 11:10:25 AM »
and a few more...

Offline PerttiMe

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2011, 01:25:15 PM »
It has been my understanding that when an electric quits, it is usually because the battery cannot handle the current. Faulty battery, inadequate battery, or a battery that hasn't been charged. If your car doesnt start, maybe the battery is dead. Cannot rule out other causes, though.

Picture 5 "Discover This" looks like a USSR design. Kolesnikov KA-10?
http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=23908.0;attach=91705
The name sounds like a play with the name of the Yatsenko brothers' business...
I built a Blue Pants as a kid. Wish I still had it. Might even learn to fly it.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2011, 05:46:30 AM »
Glad the weather cooperated.   Also thanks for the great pictures of some beautiful airplanes.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Gene O'Keefe

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2011, 07:57:35 AM »
Thanks for the pics...the Mustang really looks nice..."Red Tail"...reminds of the great movie to be released soon..can't wait to see it on the majestic super big screen.
Gene O'Keefe
AMA 28386

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here