News:

• April 27, 2024, 10:16:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: proper eights question  (Read 1053 times)

Offline John Castle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • The Bent Pin
proper eights question
« on: May 07, 2010, 11:47:00 AM »
In the beginners pattern when flying eights; do you exit the eights by flying over the top of the second outside loop or do you do you go around another inside and then exit up and out over the middle. I want to make sure I am learning corectly.

Thanks,
John
John Castle
McMinnville, Oregon 
AMA# 589650

Offline Scott Hartford

• Commander
Re: proper eights question
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 12:02:06 PM »

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 12:47:27 PM »
Exit after the second outside leg otherwise you are doing two and a half horizontal eights (not that I can fly them very well!! LOL).
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline Larry Fulwider

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 08:10:21 AM »
In the beginners pattern when flying eights; do you exit the eights by flying . . . ?
Thanks,

John

John --

You have likely watched this video of Paul Walker (Brett Buck posted it as an add-on to your post in the “I think I see my problem” post last month.). Although the video doesn't even show the airplane, the entry / exits are both clearly seen

(all notes below assume CCW flight)
Point 1: Entry and exit are just like a wingover. Think of the overhead eights as an “interrupted wingover”, and you will automatically enter and exit correctly after doing exactly two eights with the intersection overhead – if you do the first loop of the first eight as an inside loop.

Point 2: Note that Paul continues to face the judges (faces into the wind) through the eights – doing the insides off his right shoulder and the outsides off his left shoulder. He then turns to his left to complete the “wingover” to exit.

Point 2a: Many flyers do a half turn to the left after completing the first half of the wingover and before starting the eights. In that case, the insides are off your left shoulder, the outsides are off your right shoulder, and your back is to the wind during the eights. Note that the airplane follows exactly the same flight path with either technique -- only your body position varies.

Among top flyers, I don’t know what percentage do the eights facing the judges or with their backs to the judges; or the advantages / disadvantages of each.  :-\ I only know if I turn prior to starting the eights, I am totally disoriented.
   You should probably try it both ways. One of our best local flyers (with whom I fly a lot) turns his back to the wind for the eights, and I’ve never seen him do a bad overhead eight; whereas I have only done one good overhead eight in my flying career, with no witnesses even to that one.

You need to solicit honest input on your overhead eights. For some reason, bad overheads are the pattern equivalent of bad breath or a big red zit on your nose – more likely to be mentioned behind your back than to your face.   ;)

Larry Fulwider

Offline Larrys4227

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 03:38:49 PM »
I'm shocked how fast Paul has that plane going ...... 4.25 give or take. And I work so hard to keep my planes at 5.2 .... !!!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 08:01:45 AM »
I still wonder why everyone is so stuck on the 5.2 lap time.  Each plane has a speed that it likes to fly at.  I myself don't worry about lap times as I fly where I am comfortable with the plane.  Yes a slower plane gives more time to do a maneuver but, also gives more time for mistakes.  Average for me to do a complete pattern I am comfortable with is 5 and 1/2 minutes from launch until I level off from the clover.  H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 06:05:49 PM »
I still wonder why everyone is so stuck on the 5.2 lap time.  Each plane has a speed that it likes to fly at.  I myself don't worry about lap times as I fly where I am comfortable with the plane.  Yes a slower plane gives more time to do a maneuver but, also gives more time for mistakes.  Average for me to do a complete pattern I am comfortable with is 5 and 1/2 minutes from launch until I level off from the clover.  H^^

Doc, I think the speed most people find most comfortable is around 52 mph(75 fps)  5.0 sec/ 60 ft lines, 5.2 sec/62.5 ft lines, 5.4 sec/65 ft lines, 5.65 sec/67.5 ft lines.  As long as the plane is heavy enough to get sufficient line tension it works great.  Adjusting the line length is a great trimming tool.  Getting much over 55mph makes a big difference in flying, especially on the RWO and square maneuvers.
phil Cartier

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here