News:

• April 27, 2024, 09:30:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Post Mortem on Tucson crash...  (Read 802 times)

Offline REX1945

• AMA 19945
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Post Mortem on Tucson crash...
« on: April 15, 2012, 01:30:18 AM »
I posted the pix on SSW : http://www.clstunt.com/htdocs/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=103&topic_id=374400&mesg_id=374400&listing_type=read_new

The failure was the rear epoxy joint between the arrowshaft ID and a wooden dowel ID that
is the joint spacer. In my experience of drilling the plugs out, I developed great confidence
in this part of the joint; imanining that the ID of the dowel would fail long before the OD
of the dowel to shaft. Therefore, I always solder a ring of 14 ga copper wire around the pushrod
member at both ends of the dowel; that part of the joint is still in fine shape.

I guess that I cut a bunch of grooves in the dowel od, coat it with epoxy, and shove the member back in.

Rex

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Post Mortem on Tucson crash...
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 04:32:32 PM »
I made an insert from aluminum, just like the ones that are used in arrows.  I drilled and tapped it 4-40 and screwed the metal part into it.  If you glue an aluminum insert in with ferrule cement that the archery shops use, it will be nearly impossible to remove.  I pull very hard on arrows to get them out of targets and the inserts never come out.
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here