News:

• April 27, 2024, 08:52:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Planting an Idea  (Read 2243 times)

Offline Bob Furr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Planting an Idea
« on: January 25, 2009, 06:02:48 PM »
I was surfing the patents on Google and came across the N. E. (Jim) Walker original patent for control line models.   The patent was filed in 1940 and issued in 1942.   If you go looking for it the patent number is 2,292,416.  Now I know there were others flying CL and that eventually Walker lost control of the patent but I would like to suggest that we start planning for 2010 being the 70th anniversary of CL flying.    Maybe even make this part of the NATs if the AMA can be encouraged to take this up.   Other than passing the idea on I do not know how to get this all started.   I do think that we can dedicate part of my clubs contest next year to Walker and the pioneers of control line.   Heck maybe even get the carrier guys to do a "Sabre Dance" and back down on a baloon!
Bob Furr

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Planting an Idea
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 09:21:18 PM »
I like the concept, except for one thing. Jim Walker didn't invent U-Control. Obe St. Clair did...another Oregonism. And by something like 6 years. He didn't patent it, not being the promoter that Jim Walker was. Not to say Jim W. was a bad person, far from it. He was still a great innovator, flier, businessman, and knew good stuff when he saw it. It's a good thing we had Jim W. when we did, actually. Too bad he left us before it was his time.  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Bob Furr

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 12:07:40 PM »
Steve (and anyone else reading this),
I honestly understand that Walker didnt "invent" control line flying... but we have an incredible opportunity for publicity... and a convenient date to tie it to...
Bob

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 09:56:31 AM »
How about the Omahawks having an all Jim Walker contest with only A J Aircraft designs.  I still have my Firecat even tho it is a little dusty.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Bob Furr

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 05:58:31 AM »
I am going to give it a little push... I have a Firecat kit I picked up from George Lieb and found out that Brodak has at least looked at producing the kit again.   Maybe an OTS event that includes a special award for AJ airplanes...
Bob

ChrisSarnowski

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 08:06:23 AM »
We could honor both gents in different ways.... have a special award for contributions to the sport and call it the "Obie"   n~

Advertise Here

Advertise Here