News:

• May 02, 2024, 05:41:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Pics from Joe Thompson - Stunters at Buder Park in Early 60s - need help to ID  (Read 1496 times)

Offline the original Steve Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • Fly Stunt!
Joe took these in the early 60s at Buder Park in St. Louis Missouri.  We need help identifying the planes and the builders.  They all have AMA numbers, I'm hoping that helps.

The first is a Skylark with AMA # 19183 and we think a Detroiter in the background.
Second is a Nobler with AMA # 15748 - Joe thinks it is either Art Schaeffer's or Ron O'Toole's Dad's.
Third is an Ares with AMA # 18125
Fourth may be a modified Nobler or is it something else?  AMA # 18847
Last is an Aegis with AMA # 6828.

Thanks,
the original Steve Smith
AMA 2112

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
The last picture, the Aegis has Gary Zeller's AMA number on it.

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
That Ares looks more like an Argus or an Apollo, than it does an Ares.  But still, that plane is named Ares so I guess it is one.

Matt Colan

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
Looks to me like that plane says Aves, not Ares...possibly because it's modified?

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Looks to me like that plane says Aves, not Ares...possibly because it's modified?

George

By George, you're right! Good catch!  LL~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral

George

George, it does say Aves, nice catch.

Matt Colan

Offline John Sunderland

• Captain
I may be way off base here, but that Aves kinda looks like a Jerry Phelps plane possibly. Was this a contest pic maybe?

Offline the original Steve Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • Fly Stunt!
I may be way off base here, but that Aves kinda looks like a Jerry Phelps plane possibly. Was this a contest pic maybe?

John - Yes, I think Joe Thompson took these at a contest in Buder Park here in St. Louis in the early 60's.

Thanks,
the original Steve Smith
AMA 2112

Offline John Sunderland

• Captain
Jerrys early birds were Neptune inspired but began to look more Ares-ish as the 60s progressed. I will ask him or simply compare recent AMA numbers from pics, but if I remember right he couldnt get his old number back or something so maybe that wouldnt work. I will snoop around.

Offline Zuriel Armstrong

• Captain
The Skylark in the first picture is Ed Southwick's AMA number.
Zuriel Armstrong
AMA 20932

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here