News:

• April 26, 2024, 03:42:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: painting films  (Read 827 times)

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
painting films
« on: August 14, 2006, 07:17:27 PM »
I have read on occasion that some people cover their planes with films (eg monocoat/ultracoat) and then paint them. What kind of paints work? Will dope work? What happens when you have to reshrink out a wrinkle later after its all done?

bob branch

Offline Tom Perry

• Captain
Re: painting films
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 07:44:49 PM »
Bob,

Top Flite LusterKote is supposed to work over most surfaces.  They have a few pages on how to use it here:

http://www.monokote.com/lustrekote/painting-tips/topr7200tip1.html

I used to use a clear film called Seal-Lamin.  It is a frosted looking clear 'til you apply heat.  I used Pactra AeroGloss thirty years ago and it is still on the Seal Lamin.

In answer to your last question, it would probably look like a painted wrinkle.   ;D

Seriously though, get the wrinkles out first.  You knew that though dincha?  **)

Tight lines,

Tom Perry
 Norfolk, Virginia

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 08:29:38 PM »
Tom

Getting the wrinkles out first isn't a problem. However, every covering job no mater how good develops wrinkles over time, especially if out in the sun or on a warm day. I've been in RC for 3 years now and have had experience with virtually every film there is. They all do it. Its why I would not use the system in CL stunt. The question is actually for an RC application. Interesting though your sucess with a dope years later. Cudos!

bob branch

Offline Tom Perry

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 08:41:34 PM »
Bob,

I thought you were speaking about some wrinkles along some of the more dificult areas on the wing tips or other problem areas when covering.  I have no experience with the slack wrinkles from the sun.  I would hope that the paint would be ok after re shrinking, but dont know.  I used the Seal-Lamin #^on my combat planes because it didn't wrinkle from being in the sun.  The dope sticking after all those years in the attic suprised me.  I just covered the wing tips and elevator for some reference while manuvering.   :D

Tight lines,

Tom Perry
 Norfolk, Virginia

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here