News:

• May 22, 2024, 04:46:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Out of the Clear Blue Western Sky Comes...  (Read 4017 times)

Offline Steve Scott

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • Terrorizing earthworms since '65
Out of the Clear Blue Western Sky Comes...
« on: June 19, 2007, 06:54:01 PM »
I'm told this Cessna 310-B is the actual Songbird flown by Kirby Grant in the old TV series "Sky King".  Currently residing at the American Wings Museum, Jane's Field (Anoka County Airport) in Blaine, MN.

We took 11 boy scouts over to the museum last Saturday to complete their aviation merit badges.  One of the moms told me her son is very interested in our CL club.  In fact, we will host an Intro event at our club field later this summer for troop members (whether they participated in the MB or not) and teach them how to preflight, rig up and safely fly a control line model.  I'll also organize a similar event for my RC club.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 07:40:24 AM by Steve Scott »

Offline James Mills

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: Out of the Clear Blue Western Sky Comes...
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 07:28:08 PM »
Nice looking plane.  When was this show on television, I've not heard of it?

Thanks,

James
AMA 491167

Offline Chuck Feldman

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 07:40:28 PM »
1950's  Nabisco was the sponsor

Chuck Feldman
AMA 15850

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 08:44:23 PM »
Steve,
When I was an A&P mechanic in the early seventies, I got to do an annual on the Cessna 310 that Sky King flew in the TV series.  From what I remember it sure looked like that.  The paint scheme was different though.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 08:59:05 PM »
I think that show inspired as many people to learn to fly as "CHiPs" inspired people to join the CHP.  On a different note , that would be the second Songbird.  The first one was a UC-87 Cessna Bobcat, aka "Bamboo Bomber".  For extra credit what was the name of Sky King's ranch?   y1
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Steve Scott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 09:06:39 PM »
Steve,
When I was an A&P mechanic in the early seventies, I got to do an annual on the Cessna 310 that Sky King flew in the TV series.  From what I remember it sure looked like that.  The paint scheme was different though.
Both Songbirds were shades of grey on our TV set.  So was Nellibelle (the Jeep).

A few years ago someone on the other forum posted a web link which had all the episodes streamed - including commercials.  Must have taken it down since they're being sold on a DVD sets via EAA.

Here is a short (audio only) opening with "the" sponsor.
http://members.cox.net/skykingtv/pp_ski.wav

Offline Steve Scott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 09:17:31 PM »
I think that show inspired as many people to learn to fly as "CHiPs" inspired people to join the CHP.  On a different note , that would be the second Songbird.  The first one was a UC-87 Cessna Bobcat, aka "Bamboo Bomber".  For extra credit what was the name of Sky King's ranch?   y1
The Flying Crown Ranch.  #^ Edit:  I cheated.  First said "Flying Cloud" which was incorrect.  Of course, the crown was the icon on the fuselage of Sky's plane.

For extra extra credit where was the ranch?

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 10:00:39 PM »
Steve,
When I was an A&P, I got to work on N880EP. That was Elvis's Convair 880.

Offline Bruce Perry

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 10:53:25 PM »
Check out this link:

Should have all the episodes.

http://www.americanflyers.net/entertainment/skyking.asp

Bruce H^^

Offline Louis Rankin

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007, 11:09:12 PM »
The "Flying Crown" ranch was supposed to be in Arizona; however, the episodes were of course filmed in California.  Here is a picture of the Songbird III.  Never was used in the series, but was used for promotional tours.
Louis Rankin
Somerville Tennessee
AMA 10859

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 09:01:18 AM »
I wondered about SB#3 - It was offered for sale in either Pacific Flyer or Trade-a-plane (don't remember which) about 6 months ago.  Advertised as one of the TV planes but I wondered about the claim as I only remembered 1&2.  Don't remember what Sky drove but Nelliebell was the jeep used in the Roy Rogers  TV show, usually driven by his side-kick.  It resided until recently at the Roy Rogers Museum in Victorville CA.  Sky did have a neice and nephew though, Penney and Clipper.  Did the Sheriff have any other name than "Sheriff"?   And Congrats to Steve,   H^^ the "Flying Crown Ranch" is correct.   
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2007, 10:09:14 AM »
I can still remember listening to "Sky King" on the radio.  Only time I seen it on TV was when I got to stay with the grand parents.  Have fun,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Steve Scott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2007, 11:09:56 AM »
but Nelliebell was the jeep used in the Roy Rogers  TV show, usually driven by his side-kick.
I stand corrected.  I confused my flying cowboy with the singing cowboy.  No, wait... That was Gene Autry.   n~

Did the Sheriff have any other name than "Sheriff"?
Well Roy Coffee was the sheriff on Bonanza.  Perhaps the Sky King Sheriff's name was just "Sheriff", just as Dudley Doright's (of RCMP fame) horse was simply named, "horse".

Offline Steve Scott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2007, 09:55:38 PM »
Did the Sheriff have any other name than "Sheriff"?
Woohoo!  I found it!  Started watching episode #49.  Sky refers to the sheriff as Mitch.

Dang.  Now I'm gonna be up all night watching these shows...

Offline Norm Faith Jr.

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • The physics of flight releases the soul.
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2007, 11:26:40 PM »
Here is a T-50/UC78 That I restored in 1989. Champion Antique, Oshkosh. It's based out of Boyton Beach FL. and is flown about 100 hrs a year. Pics/2003-2006
Circlepilot   AMA9376

Offline Kim Mortimore

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2007, 11:10:36 AM »
I wondered about SB#3 - It was offered for sale in either Pacific Flyer or Trade-a-plane (don't remember which) about 6 months ago.  Advertised as one of the TV planes but I wondered about the claim as I only remembered 1&2.  Don't remember what Sky drove but Nelliebell was the jeep used in the Roy Rogers  TV show, usually driven by his side-kick.  It resided until recently at the Roy Rogers Museum in Victorville CA.  Sky did have a neice and nephew though, Penney and Clipper.  Did the Sheriff have any other name than "Sheriff"?   And Congrats to Steve,   H^^ the "Flying Crown Ranch" is correct.  

I was completely and hopelessly in love with Penney/Penny(?), even tho my age at that time meant she would be an "older woman."   LL~   Alas, she never answered any of my love letters.  Sigh.   :##
Kim Mortimore
Santa Clara, CA

Offline Steve Scott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2007, 01:43:23 PM »
Quote from: Kim Mortimore
I was completely and hopelessly in love with Penney/Penny(?), even tho my age at that time meant she would be an "older woman."   LL~   Alas, she never answered any of my love letters.  Sigh.   :##
For me, it was... Shari Lewis.  I coud do without Lambchop tho...

Offline Kim Mortimore

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2007, 01:56:21 PM »
For me, it was... Shari Lewis.  I coud do without Lambchop tho...

Oh yes, Steve.  Most excellent choice!  I remember seeing a clip from the TV show "Playboy After Dark" from the early 60's.  Shari was one of Hefner's guests, and she was doing a bit where lambchop had bunny ears.  Very attractive indeed.  And Shari wasn't bad either!   LL~  I wonder if we're anywhere near getting busted by the message board police at this point?   S?P VD~
Kim Mortimore
Santa Clara, CA

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2007, 09:17:49 PM »
No question about it, Sky King started my love affair with flying. Led me to my pilots license and all my planes. I always wanted a 310.... just thought it was the sharpest looking plane ever, especially the middle to end models of the series with the short nose. It just killed me when I finally moved up to a twin not to get a 310. I was deciding between a Piper Sennaca and a 310Q. Both equally equipped and condition. But safety won out and I chose the piper. The fuel system on the 310 was a nightmare to manage and alot of folks went down due to the complexities. When I added the fuel system and the arcaine emergency gear extension system of the 310 it was a no brainer decision, even if the eye candy of the 310 was superior.

I have the series on DVD. I believe he drove a station wagon, a woodie I think. It seems like it was a chevy but I would have to go look to be sure.

Bob Branch

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here