News:

• May 05, 2024, 09:07:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Oriental +  (Read 1316 times)

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Oriental +
« on: May 22, 2009, 04:00:05 AM »
Does anyone recall offhand just which mag (and issue) Dee's Oriental Plus was in? I have one started, but never built a piped ship before, and I can use all the help I can get!

EDIT: I haven't yet located the Nov/Dec '03 issue of Stunt News. Could I beg someone to scan the build article for the ORiental Plus and email it to me?
         Thanks in advance . . .

« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 09:39:43 PM by Ralph Wenzel »
(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline James C. Johnson

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Oriental +
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 11:27:52 AM »

Stunt News Nov/Dec 2003.. 

I have the same plane all cut out but have elected to not use a pipe.. I moved the wing position a little to compensate. I forgot how much .. could go measure it.

Jim

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 04:36:28 PM »
I just built an OPlus from an RSM kit, so can perhaps give some construction pointers. Are you scratch building from plans? Not sure if the plans would be the same as Dee's plans supplied with the kit. Kit is very good, by the way; perfect fit of all the laser cut parts, which is everything but the blocks. Mine has a PA40 Ultralight with a Werwage pipe. The model is designed for a pipe, with a deep fuselage, so no problem installing it.

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
Re: Oriental + WRONG!
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 04:54:50 PM »
Thanks, guys. I appreciate the quick response. Got the mag in hand now.

EDIT:  Well, when you get to be a certain age, sometimes you can mistake a "2" for a "3". I haven't located the Nov/Dec'03 issue of Stunt News yet.

Would someone please scan the build article for the Oriental Plus and email it to me?  Thanks in advance . . .

« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 09:37:52 PM by Ralph Wenzel »
(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 07:00:33 PM »
I just built an OPlus from an RSM kit, so can perhaps give some construction pointers. Are you scratch building from plans? Not sure if the plans would be the same as Dee's plans supplied with the kit. Kit is very good, by the way; perfect fit of all the laser cut parts, which is everything but the blocks. Mine has a PA40 Ultralight with a Werwage pipe. The model is designed for a pipe, with a deep fuselage, so no problem installing it.

The plans are the same whether it be the kit or scratch building.  I'm going to get a PA 40UL for mine, but don't have the money yet.  My Birthday is coming.  I also have to say the kit was vveeeerrrrryyyyyyy good.  It might've been flying if I lined up the leading edge right on the first wing, and had to toss it because of that.  So Bob Hunt cut me a foam wing for it.

PS, how does the plane fly with the 40UL in it?  Do you have a 1 inch header in it too Mike?

Matt Colan

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 09:54:49 PM »
Hi Matt:

Mine is not flying yet; construction is finished and I am about to start the REAL work: the paint. The plan is to use Klass Kote epoxy paints rather than dope.

While mine is not flying yet, there are several in the area that fly very well. This is a modern design with a wing thickness of 20%, in line with the latest thinking from the West Coast stunt experts.

Not being able to leave well enough alone, I enlarged the stab and elevators to give a 23% tail volume ratio and moved the elevator hinge line back .75". We will see how it flys pretty soon.

On engines, if the PA is too pricey this model would fly fine on an LA46 for one quarter the cost. APC 12.25 x 3.75 for $4 instead of a $50 carbon prop. I have three of them and love that engine. One pulls a 631" Imitation very well, and the OPlus is only 603".

Offline James C. Johnson

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 10:04:18 AM »

Found Pat Johnston's email to me... here is what he said if you want to run a conventional engine set up...

"Make sure the center of gravity is @20%... One the OP, if you want to lower the wing down to 1" below the engine thrust center line, there would be nothing wrong with that. In other words, lower the wing another 3/8" inch if so desired. An ST 46 would be as ideal in this plane as could be."

He also recommended that it is paramount to use #4-6 lb balsa to the get the weight to come it at 50 oz or under...

I emailed back and said I was going to use a Big Art TT 46.. and he thought the engine was fine but a bit heavy.. and also advocated using the "baseball bat" forming method for the top block.. I use a kids bat that I picked up at a garage sale..

So if you don't want to go the pipe route... you can go convention too.. this design is sure to be a classic one for years to come..

Pat will answer emails too..

Jim

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here