News:

• April 26, 2024, 10:35:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Omega engine??  (Read 1385 times)

Offline Lyle Spiegel

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Omega engine??
« on: January 12, 2022, 02:51:53 PM »
https://thekneeslider.com/omega-1-internal-combustion-engine-is-light-powerful-efficient-and-clean/

Next generation stunt engine has been developed. The Omega engine.
Lyle Spiegel AMA 19775

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
Re: Omega engine??
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2022, 07:42:18 PM »
Cool!
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2022, 09:11:54 PM »
Time to roll out the Sweeper plans.

Offline Elwyn Aud

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Inferalandings Photo Page
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2022, 10:20:30 PM »
Not being an engineer, a lot of the info in the fancy animation goes right over my head. I want to see a video of a running engine performing a useful task. I did a video search and just found more fancy animations.  Kudos to them if it works as claimed.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2022, 06:52:21 PM »
Not being an engineer, a lot of the info in the fancy animation goes right over my head. I want to see a video of a running engine performing a useful task. I did a video search and just found more fancy animations.  Kudos to them if it works as claimed.

Me too! I know gears and ball/roller bearings are unhappy at 25k rpm when they're large in diameter, and the animation indicates that they would appear to be a problem. Having previously run into unemployed ex-Boeing engineers that did a crackpot project to make $$$ off "Government Grants", I'm suspicious.  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2022, 07:29:50 PM »
And it'll work so much better than the Wankel Rotary because it doesn't have ...

Oh, wait, it does have tip seals.  Never mind.

... Having previously run into unemployed ex-Boeing engineers that did a crackpot project to make $$$ off "Government Grants", I'm suspicious.  ...

I think there must be something like that.  Or a lot of potential investors who aren't terribly savvy about infernal combustion engines.  Because you see innovative new engine concepts all the time, yet the only actual engines you see going into production are tweaks on the good old Otto cycle piston engine.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2022, 07:32:14 PM »
Me too! I know gears and ball/roller bearings are unhappy at 25k rpm when they're large in diameter, and the animation indicates that they would appear to be a problem. Having previously run into unemployed ex-Boeing engineers that did a crackpot project to make $$$ off "Government Grants", I'm suspicious.  y1 Steve

Looks like a good propulsion system for the fancily animated "air taxis" that are fishing for investors lately.  Venture capital $$$ looks easier to get than gummint grants now.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2022, 07:34:30 PM »
Or a lot of potential investors who aren't terribly savvy about infernal combustion engines.

If the torque, RPM, and HP don't agree, that should tip them off.  It may not tip them off, though.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2022, 12:08:46 AM »
And where does the hydrogen fuel come from  and at what cost?

Keith

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2022, 09:11:20 AM »
And where does the hydrogen fuel come from  and at what cost?

Keith

Hah!  I'm pretty sure that the people actually developing hydrogen infrastructure understand that it's just a storage medium and not a primary fuel.  Lots of less-technical folks still hear "hydrogen power" and immediately get stars in their eyes.  Because it comes from water and so it must be practically free.

Note for bystanders:

Hydrogen is incredibly hard to store, and while you can get it from water, it's a bit less than 70% percent efficient (depending on who you ask) so doing so takes about 140% or 150% of the energy to make it than you get back.  By contrast, lithium-polymer batteries are something like 80%-90% efficient (so it takes 110 to 120% more power in than you get out), they're lighter and smaller than an equivalent energy-worth of hydrogen in its container, and, well, they actually work.

So it's this really tempting-looking technology that just continually doesn't pan out.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Elwyn Aud

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Inferalandings Photo Page
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2022, 12:16:16 AM »
They claim 160 hp from the basic engine. i'll  believe that when i see it successfully powering a Cessna 150

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here