News:

• May 02, 2024, 08:40:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Oldest active flier...if you dare to self-identity.  (Read 1982 times)

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Oldest active flier...if you dare to self-identity.
« on: August 14, 2021, 06:24:29 PM »
I'm curious, Gents. As I close in on 60 yo (a bit off, but not by much), and as a recent returnee to the hobby, I wonder how long will I be able to keep on spinning? I'm no pro pilot by any stretch (still roundie-roundie, upsies-downsies), but I have to wonder as I have no desire to saddle my offspring with the toys.

You can say " I know a guy..." But please tell me the truth. Is anyone active after 75 yo, 80 yo?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Larry Fruits

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Oldest active flier...if you dare to self-identity.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2021, 06:44:05 PM »
  Wesley Dick is 89 and still files a competitive pattern. He is a joy to be with and watch him fly. Hope I can still fly when I reach Wes' age, I'm 73 now, let alone be competitive like him. Amazing. So hang in there, you have many years left to enjoy the hobby...

Blessings;
   Larry

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2021, 06:44:42 PM »
I am one of the younger at my club, just turned 61. I guess this may be a, "I know a guy situation".

Our oldest pilot is 86 and he would fly 4 to 6 times per year.

We have two guys, still competing at advanced level, who are 72 and 76.

The president is 76 and puts up a number of sports flights twice a week. We are on 2 x grass circles and he cuts the grass nearly every week! A few others in their 70's+ still flying comfotably every week.

It is simple really. It comes down to your physical ability and desire. I could hardly take a step, without some aide 2 years ago. 2 new knee replacements and boom trying to learn the full pattern.

I agree with you not wanting to burden your family with your toys. When the time comes to slow down, sell it off or give away the excess. Keep something nice for yourself to remember it all by.

Keep at it plenty of years left yet.

Craig
Ps. We fly all year round here.
Pps. 2 weeks ago, on one of Roberts videos, I am sure a guy competed who was 89.
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2021, 07:15:38 PM »
I'm 81+ and I'm still fiying!

Cheer, Jerry

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2021, 10:24:58 PM »
  I'm pushing 66. How old was Lew Woolard when he passed away? He was in his 80's I do believe. I say there is no official stopping point. Fly until YOU think you can't do it any more. Like any other endeavor, you don't quit flying because you are getting older, you get older when you quit flying!!
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2021, 12:23:07 AM »
you don't quit flying because you are getting older, you get older when you quit flying!!

y1 y1 y1

We should clarify if we are talking physical or mental age. ???
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 07:17:28 AM by Ken Culbertson »
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2021, 05:00:14 AM »
  I'm pushing 66. How old was Lew Woolard when he passed away? He was in his 80's I do believe. I say there is no official stopping point. Fly until YOU think you can't do it any more. Like any other endeavor, you don't quit flying because you are getting older, you get older when you quit flying!!
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
Lew was (I believe) 93 when he flew his last contest flight in Tulsa about three or four years ago.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2021, 07:48:42 AM »
Gentlemen,

Thanks for sharing...I know it could have been somewhat gloomy thinking about this.

I'm feeling awfully mortal this weekend, and doing the King Solomon thing (what is life all about?).
My wife and I met late. We had kids even later. Yesterday we moved the oldest into his Freshman year college dorm, so I'm  quickly realizing I've been working too much, enjoying too little, and feeling like I've made some flimsy decisions over time...to the point that I feel like I'm in a rush to do things NOW before I croak.

While none of this is important in the grand scheme, you all give me hope that I may get to slow down, relax a bit, and enjoy my upcoming old age.

You all really helped this not so old, but getting there, fart. I appreciate your wisdom and experience!

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2021, 10:16:50 AM »
Wes certainly an inspiration.

Late John D'Ottavio at 89 and late Lou Woolard  at 90 plus were fun to watch.

John could clip on his lines at that age  without bending his knees !

Offline BillP

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2021, 11:00:41 AM »
I'm 72 and my body tells me when I can fly. It started talking to me about 5 yrs ago but hasn't said I have to quit yet. ;D
Bill P.

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2021, 12:58:49 PM »
Why not?   Age is 87.  Model builder since 1942.  Flying control line, free flight, R/C since 1945.

AMA member since 1949.  Still flying control line stunt whenever the weather is warm.  No longer interested in flying unless the sun is shining on warm days.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2021, 03:15:01 PM »
I was 78 last year and flew when I had a vehicle.  Flew my planes in the Ringmaster weekend also.  Since then it has been my back and knees keeping me down.  I do hope to get some flights in before the year is out, especially Ringmaster weekend if I have a vehicle. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Donald Main

• 21 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2021, 03:40:34 PM »
I was in Dayton OH last weekend and watched Wesley fly and if I only get that good! My hat is off to him H^^

Offline Shorts,David

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2021, 11:22:57 PM »
Lanny Shorts and Warren Tiart are both 86 I believe. Vic something, flies scale and should be 90 if he's still kicking. 

Online Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2021, 01:07:59 AM »
Lanny Shorts and Warren Tiart are both 86 I believe. Vic something, flies scale and should be 90 if he's still kicking.

For those who have not been to the VSC for the past several years, David Shorts started a nice program at the banquet where those who were already 80 or turned 80 the previous year, David presents caps with the PAMPA logo embroidered on them but the normal triangle in the center has "80+" over the triangle.  It is a nice tribute to those who are keeping the flame alive.  There are a growing number of those caps at the VSC banquets.

I personally know that those who receive these caps really appreciate the initiative that David has taken to do this.  So, thanks David.

Keith

Online Jim Hoffman

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2021, 08:29:01 AM »
David’s father Lanny Shorts deserves most of the credit for the over 80 awards at VSC. 
David has provided us some fabulous photos for VSC articles in the past. 
Hope both traditions can continue into the future.
Thank you’ to both of you.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 09:39:47 AM by Jim Hoffman »

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2021, 11:11:27 AM »
This is the PAMPA hat that Keith mentioned.  It was given to me at a recent NW Regionals.  It's unique, and I'm proud to wear it.

Offline Bill Schwagerman

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2021, 11:38:11 AM »
That's an awesome cap and well deserved for the 80+ old kids.

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2021, 12:22:38 PM »
In addition to my PAMPA hat, I'm very proud to wear this one.

Offline Shorts,David

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2021, 02:02:12 PM »
Yes, as Keith mentioned my dad, Lanny started the caps. If you're over 80 pm me and I'll pass it on to him. BUT, he just had a batch of 90+ made. Uh...

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2021, 06:41:32 PM »
BUT, he just had a batch of 90+ made.

Cool! I'm 35 (and change) years from getting one. Good for the Ole Boys!

Online frank williams

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2021, 06:53:03 PM »
I do plan on flying at the Nats again after this COvid mess is over.  2017 was the last Nats that I flew.  I was 73 that year and did make the "top twenty".  I wasn't the oldest qualifier though  .... Frank McMillan also qualified that year as did Bob McDonnald,  I think Bob and I are about the same age, but I know McMillan has us by a couple of years.  Also Manuana Hiki was there that year.  I'm not sure of his age, but I think he's been around the block a time or two..

Offline Phil Spillman

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2021, 02:44:05 PM »
I am now 83+. Been flying and building model airplanes since 1949 so that gives me a 72 year history in our sport. I have been given a new lease on life and flying by having had the pleasure of teaching and coaching a group of dear friends here in Williamsburg, VA for the past 4 years. This experience has been so much fun and stimulation to my enthusiasm and general Joy of Life you just wouldn't believe! This past weekend this group and others traveled up to the Jim Coll 12th Annual Memorial contest and competed in Profile, OTS, and PA. We all had fun and many of us if not all got some awards! But most gratifying was the promotion of one of our WAMS (Williamsburg Areo Modeling Society) from Advanced to Expert! Wow we must be doing something right! And boy has this been fun!

With the involvement in  our Sport, Many of us are ...tooo Young to be This OLD!

Phil Spillman
Phil Spillman

Offline Jim Rhoades

• Commander
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2021, 10:33:15 PM »
     I am 82 years old and a proud owner of one of those 80+ hats.  I am still flying most every weekend and was planning to attend the N W Regionals in a couple weeks but just saw the word that it was cancelled as the area we use at the Roseburg airport is in use by the aircraft used to fight the numerous forest fires in the N W.  I was planning to fly OTS, Classic and Expert PA, 1/2A Profile Proto Speed, and NASS and NW Sport Jet Speed.  Some Speed events are faster than this pilot now and flying overhead eights are harder do and keep my balance but I plan to keep at it as long as I am able.  Now if I can just remember all the maneuvers and their order in the OTS pattern.

Jim Rhoades

Offline Dan Berry

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2021, 04:16:59 PM »
Bud Romak is flying and retrieving (on a motorcycle) Free Flight planes at 93 yrs old.
Ed Konefes flew Free Flight at 100 yrs old but I do not know if he did his own retrieving.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2021, 08:20:25 PM »
  Back in my free flight days I was honored to share a podium finish with Ed Konefes in either P-30 or Coupe at a contest in Lawrenceville, IL. He and his brother Joe were true pioneers in free flight and legends! He was a neat guy to talk with also!
  Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here