News:

• April 26, 2024, 02:14:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: old plastic model  (Read 1012 times)

Offline Gary Dowler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
old plastic model
« on: December 24, 2018, 10:31:18 AM »
Does anyone remember a series of plastic airplane models  in the 70's that had electric motors to spin the prop (for display only) and you had to actually assemble the electric motor? Had to assemble the armature, wrap the field coil, etc.  Remember these? I built 2-3 of them but for he life of me I cannot recall what they were called or who put them out.

Gary
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: old plastic model
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2018, 10:36:49 AM »
  Lindbergh Models put those out. They have recently reproduced just about everything they ever made, but not with the electric motor kits. I think it was Pyron Models that did the Gee Bee and Meteor Thompson Trophy Racers with the electric motor kits, and then they were sold off to some one else to be reproduced with out the motor. Monogram did the transparent Phantom P-51 with an electric motor also, but I think it was already assembled. That's what I can think of right now.
  MERRY CHRISTMAS and HAPPY NEW YEAR!
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Larry Fernandez

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2018, 11:53:45 AM »
Does anyone remember a series of plastic airplane models  in the 70's that had electric motors to spin the prop (for display only) and you had to actually assemble the electric motor? Had to assemble the armature, wrap the field coil, etc.  Remember these? I built 2-3 of them but for he life of me I cannot recall what they were called or who put them out.

Gary

Yes, the Lindbergh Line!
I almost forgot about these. As Dan said, you had to actually build the electric motors.
I built the Stuka when I was in the fourth grade.
Crap, now I’ve gotta check out flea-Bay for a Lindbergh Line Stuka

Larry, Buttafucco Stunt Team

Offline curtis mattikow

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2018, 11:58:23 AM »
I built lots of those.  A few years back, I built the stearman, and built the motor for it, and got it to work.  It was a nice kit, and it turns out that the stearman was probably the very first plastic model ever sold...and it's still being made.
Lindberg made a lot of interesting motorized models, I have built a lot of the boats, too.

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2018, 01:58:03 AM »
I believe both Faller and Frog released plastic kits with electric motors, and I see a Faller box in Curtis' photos …

Dennis

Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2018, 02:09:14 AM »
I've become familiar with plastic models in the course of selling (for an estate) about 2,500 of them on eBay - any plastic model I build would probably look worse than a combat model that was totaled.  But there's some great history available online - turns out many common models sold over the years under different brand names were made from the same molds, either shared or transferred through sales. etc.

Scalemates: https://www.scalemates.com

Dennis
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline Greg McCoy

• Commander
  • flying tiger B24 gunnery school patch Laredo
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2018, 07:47:35 AM »
I remember. It was a Lindberg ship model, probably a destroyer or such. Had to wind the motor and assemble. Since it was a boat it would work in the bathtub.
AMA 77370

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2018, 07:59:35 AM »
I built lots of those.  A few years back, I built the stearman, and built the motor for it, and got it to work.

The motors went together really well. There were at least two types, one that worked more-or-less conventionally with  decent power, and a second type that was intentionally only able to start if you flipped it, and was pretty wimpy.

Brett

Offline curtis mattikow

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2018, 10:28:09 AM »
I remember. It was a Lindberg ship model, probably a destroyer or such. Had to wind the motor and assemble. Since it was a boat it would work in the bathtub.

Lindberg made(and still make, minus the motors) a rather large range of motorized boat models, from eight inches to three feet long, and some of them are excellent, some pretty awful, and some with really neat features like cam operated programmed steering patterns.  I've built most, if not all, over the years.
Also  many motorized plane models, some of which have props that spin, others that make a jet engine noise.
Oh, and cars, too.
Lindberg is neat stuff.

Offline curtis mattikow

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2018, 10:31:51 AM »
I believe both Faller and Frog released plastic kits with electric motors, and I see a Faller box in Curtis' photos …

Dennis
Yup.  Frog Spin-A-Prop.  Faller, I think you are right.  Actually, MANY companies made motorized plastic models.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here