News:

• May 06, 2024, 05:34:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Old Model Magazines  (Read 1192 times)

Online Bob Heywood

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Old Model Magazines
« on: October 19, 2009, 06:06:12 PM »
Does anyone know of a source for old model magazines?

eBay doesn't count.

Thanks
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: Old Model Magazines
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 11:18:15 PM »
What are you looking for, I have a garage full,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 12:08:24 AM »
   I've collected mine from all sorts of sources. Some are mine that I have purchased through the years. I have worked part time at a local hobby shop for the last 27 years and people have brought in boxes of them at a time, and we sell them off at 50 cents a copy. I usually got first crack at them, but don't need to any more. There was a time when people used to advertise collections from estates and such in the local newspaper and I have acquired large batches that way. Sometimes you have to take what you don't want or need to get what you do want or need. I usually sell off or give away the extras and I have done that several times over throuigh the years. I financed one of my early trips to VSC by selling off a large chunk of doubles and tripples. Over time, I have built up what some have tolld me is one of the largest and most complete collections in the country. I search eBay every now and then looking for deals of pre-WW Two magazines. Those are the rarest because of the smaller quantities printed and stacks and boxes of them being donated to paper drives. I keep mine in four drawer file cabinets in chronological by title and each mag is in a manila file folder for protection and I think this helps them breathe and avoid smelling musty. These days, I would put a wanted sign up at the local hobby shop and used book stores in you area, watch the weekend newspapers, and maybe put a wanted add in the nearest Craig's List site on line. The AMA occasionally gets an estate donated to them, and they usually sell them off at the Museum. You might try contacting them also.
    Good luck with your search and have fun. They are a tom of fun to look through and do research with. In fact, I'm headed to the basement right now to go through some and put some others away back in the file cabinets.
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 08:36:20 AM »
What are you looking for, I have a garage full,,

Generally, I am interested in Model Airplane News, American Modeler, and Flying Models from roughly 1950 through the 70's. I used to be in contact with a seller I met at Toledo but have lost his information.

The AMA Library has an excellent collection that is good for photocopies. I do my basic research there and then look for the actual issues. I do have a really decent index, based on the late Dick Gleason's archive, that covers from the "beginning" thru 2003.

American Modeler, July 1960 is of interest right now. It's the first model magazine I ever purchased.

Thanks for the help.

Bob
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Tom Weedon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 09:59:23 AM »
I've got a complete collection of M.A.N. from 1935 to 1970 and I got most of them through E-Bay. So what's the problem?    ???
Tom Weedon, AMA 2537

Online Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 11:48:52 AM »
I've got a complete collection of M.A.N. from 1935 to 1970 and I got most of them through E-Bay. So what's the problem?    ???

I guess I see eBay as "hit or miss". I was hoping to get a couple of names of people that have large stocks and actively sell. Also, eBay can be a little pricey. It is always a choice of last resort.

It's not the end of the world. As I said I can always go to the AMA library and run copies.

Bob
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Tom Weedon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 06:32:02 AM »
The secret for success on EBay is patience and persistence.  You need to wait for the right product, then you need to wait to place your bid in the last few seconds (if the price is within your range). There is always the possibility that the merchandise will not be up to your standards. When it arrives, if you don't want it, then re-list it on EBay. In all the years I've shopped on EBay, there have been a few occasions where I came out on the short side, but over all, I have made out very well. So I plan to keep shopping on EBay. You just need to be persistant and patient, and careful of possible scams. Spend some time learning the system. The overwhelming majority of EBay sellers are very honest. Once in a while you will find a 'jerk'.  I have a large collection of old time engines that I have bought on EBay. I never paid too much. Sometimes I got the engine for a steal (like a Brown Jr. 60 for under $50 in good running condition). I never got taken for any of the engines that I bought. So I guess that makes me ahead of the game.  Besides, shopping on EBay can be fun!   #^
Tom Weedon, AMA 2537

Online Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 06:40:40 AM »
I have no problem with eBay. Actually, I've done very well on both ends of the deal. Again, as for magazines I was hoping to surface a person in the hobby that had comprehensive stocks for sale. Such people did exist.

Thanks.

Bob
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 11:59:23 AM »
  Bob, Contact me via E-Mail   mdenny4@cox.net

Bigiron
marvin Denny  AMA  499