News:

• April 26, 2024, 03:29:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ok, I give up  (Read 1024 times)

Offline Gary Dowler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Ok, I give up
« on: September 20, 2018, 05:46:03 PM »
I totally stink at my ability to use search functions.  I am looking for a proper way to wrap leadouts.  I typed in "leadouts", "leadout", etc.  Kept coming up with zero search results.

written descriptions are sometimes helpful, but are often limited by different use of terminology.    Can anyone post a series of pictures of how they assemble their leadouts, or perhaps provide a link to such pictures or video?  My traditional method has never failed me, but it involves solder, which apparently most now frown upon.    Sorry to bug folks, but sometimes I need to employ different ways to learn things, which often requires more teacher involvement.

Gary
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Online Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Ok, I give up
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 06:11:40 PM »
Gary,
You could start by looking in the AMA rulebook. Right near the front of the control line section there is a Figure 3, which illustrates the four steps in wire wrapping for two-line equipment. At the bottom of the figure, it notes that this is then soldered or epoxy coated. If you use epoxy, there is no reason to soak the whole thing--just overcoat the wrapping to keep it in place. No reason to let it wick into the lines themselves. If you cannot serve the wire with adjacent wraps touching, then you will get some stiffening of the line under the wrap. Just keep it away from where the line comes out of the termination. If you elect to use electrical heat shrink tubing overtop instead of the epoxy, then the burden of equivalency would appear to be on you.

I disagree with a statement made on a recent thread which appeared to say that you want the connection to "give" when it is put under stress. This is exactly what causes the lines to fail. The constant flexing of the line at a small radius.

Sorry I am not currently able to post photos of stranded line wrapping. I believe I have shown solid line terminations in a prior post.

Dave

PS--you should try a search on "wrap."  There are several promising threads and a video.

Offline builditright

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • So happy to be alive!
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 06:15:00 PM »
I totally stink at my ability to use search functions.  I am looking for a proper way to wrap leadouts.  I typed in "leadouts", "leadout", etc.  Kept coming up with zero search results.

written descriptions are sometimes helpful, but are often limited by different use of terminology.    Can anyone post a series of pictures of how they assemble their leadouts, or perhaps provide a link to such pictures or video?  My traditional method has never failed me, but it involves solder, which apparently most now frown upon.    Sorry to bug folks, but sometimes I need to employ different ways to learn things, which often requires more teacher involvement.

Gary

Hi Gary; it's not you, Try this link...
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+wrap+leadouts+on+a+control+line+model+airplane&rlz=1C1AOHY_enUS708US709&oq=how+to+wrap+leadouts+on+a+control+line+model+airplane&aqs=chrome..69i57.23429j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
Thank you and God Bless
Walter
aka/ builditright

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 06:29:51 PM »
AMA 12366

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 11:44:38 PM »
Thanks, that was exactly what I was looking for.

Gary
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2018, 06:20:05 AM »
This is good stuff.  It takes me so long to build planes I always forget how I did it last time!!! n~
Steve

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2018, 12:03:32 PM »
I disagree with a statement made on a recent thread which appeared to say that you want the connection to "give" when it is put under stress. This is exactly what causes the lines to fail. The constant flexing of the line at a small radius.
Dave
I believe that this was my post and I have to respectfully disagree.  The reason for the eyelet in the first place if to provide a sufficient radius so that the line does not bend sufficiently to weaken it when pulled.  For that small diameter wire, that radius is big enough to not cause much molecular separation when the lines roll around it - that is what causes lines to break.  It also gives you a convenient place to connect the lines and a surface to rub against that is not part of the line. If it cannot slip then the entire force of the flexing is always focused on the same point in the lines.  If you don't want them to slip some then you might as well solder them.
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here