News:

• May 12, 2024, 02:45:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: OK, Go ahead and take your best shot  (Read 3043 times)

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
OK, Go ahead and take your best shot
« on: July 06, 2016, 06:55:59 PM »
OK Go ahead and take your best shot....Doc, Bill, Rusty...et al.....

Eric Rule, you will need to come to my defense I am sure.

After numerous emails and private messages and a long conversation with my friend Eric Rule today,  I will be making the Otto the Giro kits available again.   I really have tried to back off producing kits so I could enjoy some time to do a few other things, like build about 8 of my own planes I have not had time to finish and my wife gives me hell about, or do a little Bass fishing which I really enjoy but much to my surprise, this weird thing that flies better than it should has become my most requested kit.  I made a phone call to Allan Perret today who is my machinist and developed the jig that cuts the proper angle in the rotor hub for the 3/8" rotor blades to fit into and he has agreed cut 20 more rotor hubs which means I can produce 20 more kits.  Allan has some other issues he is dealing with right now so he told me it might be a couple of weeks until he can dig the jig out and buy the Material we use to make these hubs.  The rotor hubs are a critical piece of the Giro and without them and Allan , I could not produce these kits.

Anyway, I know I am going to take some guff over this so go ahead and pile on as I have announced several times I was going to retire and I cant seem to get it done. 

I will post something in my Vendors Corner spot shortly about pricing etc...

I do want to say that I am flattered that you all are still asking for my kits and especially the Giro kits because Eric Rule, owner of RSM Distribution, who does all my laser cutting by the way, and I both thought I might sell two or three of these things but demand is still strong and has become my most requested kit.  I do appreciate you all.

Sincerely,

Mike Griffin

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
Re: OK, Go ahead and take your best shot
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 07:14:52 PM »
Mike
  All of us on here like you and your fine kits. BUT it get old hearing some one say "they are done,they are leaving, they have had it and they are not coming back, I no longer can stand the way some people talk,you are picking on me, I am going to do some thing else". Some people tell us this over and over.
 They are just looking for sympathy or are pissed of for a few days. If a person really feels this way he will leave and not tell us he is leaving. It's like a kid say I am not going to play with you any more. We don't need to know every thing about there life and why modeling is such a problem for them.
 Mike stop explaining your every move and just enjoy what you decide to do.  We will allow you to come and go as you wish and still think you are a pretty nice guy.
Ed     PS This was not a shot just a friend's advice.
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Don Chandler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 07:21:22 PM »
Mike- I retired three years ago. I am busier than I ever was while working so I get it. Some guys I worked with took their watch off, thew out the alarm clock and don't have the foggiest idea what day of the week it is.  I can't do that, so again, I get it.

Do what puts a smile on your face and enjoy.

Don

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 07:57:49 PM »
OK Go ahead and take your best shot....Doc, Bill, Rusty...et al.....

Eric Rule, you will need to come to my defense I am sure.
Okay Mike, lemme polish up my shootn' iron... uh, no wait, taking shots ain't in my nature.
Or possibly you refer to the other Rusty, the esteemed Mr. Pieper. I'm always disappointed to see someone leave, but if it's not fun anymore, then I certainly understand. If you later feel differently, that's fine too and I'm glad for you. Life is complicated that way.

I think our only communication was via email regarding the newsletter. I did as you wished and removed your address, but I can't promise someone else from MCLS may not still have it in their list.

Take care, and try not to aggravate the wife.
Fellow fisherman,
Rusty Knowlton
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 10:07:47 PM »
Mike, I'm very glad to see you doing a re-release. I'll let all the club members know also.

Thank you for what you have done for this small tightly knit community.

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 10:57:42 PM »
Mike,
Talented caring people tend to change their minds often.  That's not a fault!  In fact it simply means that you are an active "normal" person.  UHHHH well at least as normal as any modeler can be!

Never apologize for doing what you want to do, my friend!  We only get to go around once on this Merry Go Round!  y1  #^ #^

Make it be what you want it to be!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2016, 04:39:41 AM »
Thank you all for the nice comments.  The spirit of which this post was made was certainly meant to be in good humor and light heartedness and if it were not obvious it was to more or less to poke fun at myself.  Again without all of you, I would not be doing any of this.

Mike

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2016, 05:42:11 AM »
I have posted the pricing of the Otto kit in my Vendors Corner section.

Thank you

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2016, 08:03:01 AM »
For about 20 years, I operated my own little business, Aero Ply Research Co.  I built spark ignition units for modelers and people who built their own IC engines.

I quit because I finally got tired of phone calls at all hours, although I gave advice whenever asked.

Operating a small business just takes too much time.  You can continue if you have the time, and don't expect to make any money.

Floyd
90 years, but still going (mostly)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2016, 08:10:37 AM »
For about 20 years, I operated my own little business, Aero Ply Research Co.  I built spark ignition units for modelers and people who built their own IC engines.

I quit because I finally got tired of phone calls at all hours, although I gave advice whenever asked.

Operating a small business just takes too much time.  You can continue if you have the time, and don't expect to make any money.

Floyd

This is so true Floyd.  It was never about the money but for the love of the hobby.  Remember the old joke, if you want to make a million dollars making model airplane kits, start with two million.

Mike

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2016, 09:16:09 AM »
...Remember the old joke, if you want to make a million dollars making model airplane kits, start with two million.
Haha, that's a keeper. Someday I'll drop that into a conversation.
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2016, 10:28:14 AM »
Mike, we never really retire as much as we say we would.   I'm glad you are doing what you like to do.  As Grandma Sigmond always told me you have to stay busy to live a long life.  She was 93 when she left us.  I figure I will retire when they put this carcus in the incinorater and what's left is put in a small box.   
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2016, 08:16:56 PM »
Hey Rusty.I will be glad to buy you that Root Beer.  As far as the Sneeker goes, I do not make that kit but I think, Walter Umland does if I am not mistaken.  You might message him and ask. 

Mike

Offline eric rule

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2016, 12:27:55 PM »
Don't get me involved here. I'm the innocent party.

Like Sgt Schultz "I know nothing - nothing!!!" and I will keep saying that to Linda no matter how hard you try to throw me under the bus.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here