News:

• May 13, 2024, 12:02:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Off Topic - Stunt Kites  (Read 2459 times)

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Off Topic - Stunt Kites
« on: July 01, 2016, 09:51:53 AM »
I would like to talk with anyone on the forum who is currently flying kites and could give me some advice about what to buy to get started with stunt kites.  It is something I want to try and have never done before.  So we don't clutter up the forum with off topic posts, please send me a private message and we can go from there.

Thank you
Mike

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Off Topic - Stunt Kites
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 11:55:23 AM »
Thank you Ty.  I don't have a clue as to where to start and what to buy.  We have so many windy days here when we cannot fly our models, we are thinking about flying the kites on these days.  Thank you again.

Mike

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 03:54:46 PM »
Mike, I am convinced that if you break out any type kite and a CL flying site, there will be NO wind. Charlie Brown's Law, a form of modified Murphy's Law.  LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

You are probably right....we cant win

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 04:18:12 PM »
That is why I kept a kite, the old fashioned one.  See how high I could get it.  No wind the little 1/2A's were flown.   Our house was upon top of a hill and we had big back yard.  May throw the kite back in the car for when I go flying again.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Warren Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 04:27:06 PM »
Hi Mike, look up into the wind on the old web, they have every kind of kite you could ever want.
I have about six from them, they also rate them on skill level, and MPH to fly.
W.W. 

Offline Sean Boggs

• New Pilot
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 06:54:37 PM »
I agree with Warren, intothewind.com is probably the best source for all your kit flying needs.  I would recommend either the Beatle or Prism's Jazz. 

Online Dan Berry

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 07:01:18 PM »

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2016, 07:34:38 PM »
Those things are great fun but they will run you ragged.  As long as the wind blows they don't run out of fuel so you learn to land them gently. 
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline paw080

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2016, 11:45:21 PM »
I would like to talk with anyone on the forum who is currently flying kites and could give me some advice about what to buy to get started with stunt kites.  It is something I want to try and have never done before.  So we don't clutter up the forum with off topic posts, please send me a private message and we can go from there.

Thank you
Mike

Hi Mike, I left a private message for you...

Tony

Offline paw080

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2016, 11:59:08 PM »
Welp,  Into the Wind is not the best source for kites and accessories any more, it's a good source,

but it's really fallen down on inventory and helpful information.  There are now many other

sources for stunt kites and lines, both bulk and line sets. They carry very few HQ kites and

not all of Prism's offerings. ITW does have a very trustworthy tech/help desk and they still have

a good supply of spars, spreaders,  t's, plugs and repair spares.  If you know what you're

looking for, Ebay has many excellent stunt kite stores and reputable dealers stationed

across this country that sell quality brand kites and lines at good discounts.

Tony

Offline Warren Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2016, 06:06:07 PM »
Welp,  Into the Wind is not the best source for kites and accessories any more, it's a good source,

but it's really fallen down on inventory and helpful information.  There are now many other

sources for stunt kites and lines, both bulk and line sets. They carry very few HQ kites and

not all of Prism's offerings. ITW does have a very trustworthy tech/help desk and they still have

a good supply of spars, spreaders,  t's, plugs and repair spares.  If you know what you're

looking for, Ebay has many excellent stunt kite stores and reputable dealers stationed

across this country that sell quality brand kites and lines at good discounts.

Tony

Good to know Tony, the last kite I purchased was a jam session millennium in 2002.

W.W.

Offline Guy B Jr

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2016, 03:46:48 PM »
Mike, Stunt kites aren't "off topic". They are a fantastic way for fliers to get over "figure 9's" and for retreads to get their coordination back. Search "stunt kites" on this forum and you will find quite a bit of info. I was helped a lot by info from Tony G., Howard Rush and others.

The essentials are:
1-  Wind source within the wind envelope of the kite you buy.
2-  Have a flying site at least 500' downwind of a tree line or other obstruction.
3-  Fashion a flying handle from a 14"+/- broom handle with holes drilled from 7 to 10" wide to attach the kite's flying lines. Remove the single hand handles and attach the lines directly to the broom handle.

When I returned to flying after 35 years off, I was having trouble regaining my coordination and the ability to fly inverted and outsides. The stunt kite cured that the first time I flew it. The kite has the ability to perform inside and outside loops, horizontal vertical and overhead eights. The overhead will be about 75-80 degrees instead of completely overhead. You can even do the entrance and exit of a wingover.

I live on the north shore of the Barnett Reservoir and a boat ramp 1/2 mile from my house has three miles of unobstructed wind blowing off the lake. Whenever I cross the causeway across the lake and there is a "chop" in the water, I get home and get out the kite and go fly. Lake P. might be a good place for you to fly.

I got my kites from Midwest Kites. http://www.midwestkites.com/dual-line-kites/ It is a husband and wife business and they have also flown c/l. You can call them and they will take time to answer your questions. I first bought a "Ticket" kite (french) with a wind envelope of 5 to 20 mph. Then I bought a Prism 4-D ultra light for the days when there is not much wind. You can also buy a 100' tail to slow down the kite in winds over 15 mph.

Good luck!

Guy Blankinship

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2016, 04:51:55 PM »
Thank you all for this help.  I appreciate it very much.

Mike

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2016, 09:01:52 PM »
Hey TY

How did you guess.....I have been wanting to try these kites for a while now and the more I investigate and talk to people, the more fired up I get about it.  We get a LOT of windy days here when flying a stunt ship becomes marginal but we can practice maneuvers with these kites and when they take a dive into the grass you don't have to replace props, engines, coverings and things like that.  I am told they are a great way to train people to fly stunt ships.

Anyway, I have been hanging out at some kite forums and am learning a lot about these things

Mike

Offline paw080

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2016, 10:49:31 AM »

Hi Guy B. I'm glad  :) to see you're still flying stunt kites and taking advantage of your excellent kite

flying site.   I think you gave excellent advise about getting into stunt kite flying.  Your advise

will help many forum readers to become familiar with stunt kite c/l training. You are even playing

with the low wind kite regime; this ultra low wind flying will provide an insidious slip into the

meditative zone of kite flying.   Back in the "Way Back Machine" days; I used to fly Indian Fighter

kites, having been introduced through some friends from India. These are single line kites that are

steered with intermittent line tension.  Occasionally the paper fighter kite would drift into a thermal

and would spiral up until I steered out of the lift. Like Control line flying, kite flying is an incredible

sensual experience. D>K 

Tony

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2016, 11:40:41 AM »
OK, just ordered my first stunt kite,  a HQ Bebop with Spectra lines....hope to have some fun with it.

Mike

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2016, 06:15:00 PM »
Be sure to post a video of the flight and construction. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here