News:

• May 01, 2024, 01:33:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Off Topic but very cool  (Read 1135 times)

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Off Topic but very cool
« on: December 20, 2023, 05:44:20 AM »
Here we go, another option for this seasons winter build.

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
Re: Off Topic but very cool
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2023, 08:29:11 AM »
Very nice. Biggest model rocket i ever say was at the king orange back in the 70’s at white house. It was just under  six ft long and it went out of sight very fast. They found it 5 mies away as it had a tracker on it.
EddyR
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Ty Marcucci

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2023, 10:45:58 AM »
My former neighbor and his two sons did this and would go to Kansas once a year to a big meet.  He told me some of those rockets would reach 30,000 feet....
Ty Marcucci

Online Tony Drago

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2023, 01:03:23 PM »
That was cool.

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2023, 02:03:28 PM »
A few years back during my flying days I'm traveling through the south edge of Rochester, NY Class Charlie airspace. The controller tells me to watch for rockets to the south. So right then and there I get this weird feeling of what Senator John McCain must have felt in his Phantom F4. I got the hell out of there fast. Apparently model rocket clubs must communicate with the FAA before blasting away, crazy. 

Steve

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2023, 06:18:21 PM »
            My son and I were present to see this Saturn rocket launch. A member on here who rarely posts is a longtime member of this rocket association. The entire day was just jaw dropping. We were both asked to help assemble similar rockets when they arrived on a flat bed. The owners had dozens of saw horses set up in a line. We would assist on lifting them onto the horses and joining the sections. The rockets were loaded horizontally onto a large flat trailer and hauled out to the center of the sod field. They had dozens of different styles of rockets. Some were classified as sugar motors, some called skidmarks, others were actual liquid fuel propellants. One thing that was made very clear to me,  one of two things happen when these launch, they either go up or explode. I witnessed both that day.

Offline Ara Dedekian

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Ara Dedekian
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2023, 08:36:05 PM »
I get this weird feeling of what Senator John McCain must have felt in his Phantom F4.

Steve
  Nitpicking for sure, but McCain was flying a Douglas A4 Skyhawk when he was shot down.

Ara

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2023, 07:13:29 AM »
I never have been a great study of the many varieties of jets out there. A good friend, a retired commercial pilot flew sorties in the Gulf War is always
trying to educate me on jet aircraft and the many he flew. Once they took away propellors I lost interest. I stand corrected on the McCain aircraft. Thanks.

Offline AMV

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2023, 11:07:35 AM »
Propellers are just an air conditioning accessory to keep the pilot cool during flight.
When the propeller stops spinning, you will watch the pilot sweat.

H^^
-Andrey
Spice is the variety of life.

Online Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2023, 09:40:58 PM »
And I thought my $60 H motors were expensive.  Hate to know what that launch cost...

Offline Ara Dedekian

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Ara Dedekian
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2023, 12:04:10 PM »
Once they took away propellors I lost interest.

Steve,

Well said.

Those are my sentiments also. My #1 and #2 favorites are the (prop)Douglas A1 Skyraider and the (prop)Noorduyn Norseman (#3 on down keep changing). Both, in my opinion, are way cool flying dump trucks. Coincidentally, McCain's Skyhawk and the Skyraider were both designed by Ed Heinemann at Douglas Aircraft Co. There is, or was, a display at the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum honoring his work.

Ara

Offline Norm Faith Jr.

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • The physics of flight releases the soul.
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2023, 08:56:46 PM »

Steve,

Well said.

Those are my sentiments also. My #1 and #2 favorites are the (prop)Douglas A1 Skyraider and the (prop)Noorduyn Norseman (#3 on down keep changing). Both, in my opinion, are way cool flying dump trucks. Coincidentally, McCain's Skyhawk and the Skyraider were both designed by Ed Heinemann at Douglas Aircraft Co. There is, or was, a display at the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum honoring his work.

Ara

A-4 Skyhawk..."Heinemann's Hot Rod." Though not very successful, his A4D "Skyray" was (IMHO) an awesome looking airplane.
Circlepilot   AMA9376

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here