News:

• May 02, 2024, 12:19:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Of Special Interest  (Read 1037 times)

Offline Bill Gruby

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Of Special Interest
« on: December 04, 2006, 05:40:45 AM »
To All;

Yesterday the wife and I were on a drive to get away for a while. We were passing a local school when I heard a familiar sound. Sure enough, behind the school they were flying a control line airplane.

Not that unique you say,it happens once in a while. What made it different was that it was a young lady flying from a wheelchair being paralized from the waist down since she was two. She was flying in half the circle, she would go half way around, invert and fly back, flip it upright again and fly back. She was flying a Ringmaster with a "FOX .35", outstanding.

Sorry,I didn't have a camera with me but she has my phone number and said she would call when she got out again. I will surely be there to take a few pictures to post.

I gave her the Forum link so keep your eyes open for Barbara Wright.

Windy is 100% right, "There is room in this sport for everyone".

Bill Gruby   AP^
Bill Gruby
AMA 94433
MECA 5393-10

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Of Special Interest
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 06:11:17 AM »
Did she have a pit crew?
Frank Carlisle

Offline Ron King

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 06:32:33 AM »
Bill,

That is remarable. Please get a picture and post it.

She sounds like a person who deserves our support.

Ron
Ron King
AMA AVP District 4
Wannabe Stunt Pilot since 1963
 Amateurs practice until they get it right; Pros practice until they cannot get it wrong.

Offline Bill Gruby

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 06:53:09 AM »
Frank;

She had her Father and a friend plus about ten spectators. Truely an inspiring sight.

Bill Gruby   y1 y1 y1
Bill Gruby
AMA 94433
MECA 5393-10

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 06:21:46 PM »
Along these lines, back in the stone age, when I was a teenage stunt wannabe, as oposed to an OF wannabe, a pair of guys showed up at the school yard while several of my buds and I were flying. Billy, the one in the wheel chair, suffered from a disease that made his growth stunted, and his bones very brittle, and easily broken.

His buddy, who's name I've forgotten over the years, wasn't a flier, but was a great friend to Billy. Though he didn't fly, he would turn Billy's chair while he flew. Billy learned the stunt pattern, and his bud learned where to turn, stop, or backup, so Billy could fly. Billy actually got pretty good at stunt, considering what he was overcoming. We even flew combat, at times. I'll always remember the time we all got tangled up, falling all over the place, laughing like fools. Fortunatly, Billy wasn't injured in this pile up.

I don't know what happened to Billy, I last remember seeing him driving a car that was 'specially setup for him. I like to think that cars and girls seduced him away from the flying field, rather than the eventual progress of the disease he fought so gallantly agianst.

I've always looked for someone in a wheel chair watching the stunt circle whenever I'm close to the area I grew up in. #^
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 07:15:43 PM »
Bill I got your message and sent you a replay.
I want to do this.......so follow up on it ok?

OH and also...........when I hear stories like this it always makes me realize how lucky most of us are to be able to stand and walk and do all the things we do with such ease. And it humbles me to see folks like this one so gallantly pursuing happiness in the face of such huge challenges.
Frank Carlisle

Offline Keith Spriggs

• Captain
    • khspriggs
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 10:10:34 PM »
when I hear stories like this it always makes me realize how lucky most of us are to be able to stand and walk and do all the things we do with such ease. And it humbles me to see folks like this one so gallantly pursuing happiness in the face of such huge challenges.

Well said, my feelings exactly.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here