News:

• May 02, 2024, 08:09:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Odd, odd, odd question about the World Championship and FAI rules  (Read 669 times)

Offline Bill Schluckbier

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
Hi -

I have a friend of mine who lives abroad would like to participate in the WC; however, as it turns out, the country that he is living in allowed their "FAI affiliation to expire".  As a result, he cannot get a FAI license through their National Aeroclub.

However, he has a friend in Argentina who has offered to help him get a FAI license through their Aeroclub; however, he is not an Argentine national.  So the very odd question is, can he participate in the WC although not technically representing a country?  He keeps reminding me that some Russians participated in the Olympics under a white flag thus not representing Russia and thinks that the FAI might allow the same for the WC.   I have read through the rules and I believe that the answer is no.  My take based on what I have read is that he cannot participate unless representing a specific country.  He has participated in two prior WC so he is a pretty decent pilot and generally knows what is required.  He sat out the WC held in Poland and does not want to miss it again.

Anyone know?

Thank you,

Bill

Offline Lauri Malila

• Admiral
Re: Odd, odd, odd question about the World Championship and FAI rules
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2024, 12:21:33 PM »
If you live more than 1/2 of the year in another country, you can have the sporting licence. But when you change the country you represent, you must not participate in 1st category events (ECh, WCh) for 2 calendar years. L

Offline Bill Schluckbier

• Ensign
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2024, 12:30:28 PM »
Lauri,

Thank you for the answer, one of the things that he was considering was joining the Argentinian team (if they invite him) but he does not live there.  The last time he participated in a WC was more than 20 years ago so I think that the 2 year wait period would not apply but he still has the problem of not having lived in Argentina for at least 6 months so that he can have the sporting license issued while following the spirit of the rules.

Thank you

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2024, 02:49:47 PM »
FAI seems pretty loose about this. Americans have flown on Mexican and Israeli F2D teams. I doubt if some had ever been to the countries they represented.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2024, 03:25:00 PM »
Case in point: Howard is from Mars and he flew on our team...

Bob

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2024, 04:42:37 PM »
Case in point: Howard is from Mars and he flew on our team...

Bob
My wife thinks we all are!

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2024, 06:16:40 PM »
My wife thinks we all are!

Ken

She's probably right, but then again, she's from Venus...

Bob

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2024, 08:19:01 PM »
There are provisions in the FAI sporting code where a Sporting License can be issued to an individual directly by the FAI when that individual is not represented by a NAC. I am not sure of the exact procedures but I am sure they can be found in the FAI Sporting Code, General Section. This would allow your friend to participate in the upcoming World Champs.

I'll look a bit deeper tomorrow when I get on a real computer rather than this phone.

Regards,

Bill Lee
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline Bill Schluckbier

• Ensign
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2024, 06:21:29 AM »
Thank you Bill, if that is possible he will be thrilled.

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2024, 06:45:30 AM »
There are provisions in the FAI sporting code where a Sporting License can be issued to an individual directly by the FAI when that individual is not represented by a NAC. I am not sure of the exact procedures but I am sure they can be found in the FAI Sporting Code, General Section. This would allow your friend to participate in the upcoming World Champs.

I'll look a bit deeper tomorrow when I get on a real computer rather than this phone.

Regards,

Bill Lee

O.k., Here are some links:
FAI Sporting Code: General Section
https://www.fai.org/sites/default/files/fai_sporting_code_general_section_2024_v1_1.pdf

In that document: see section 3:
 FAI SPORTING LICENCES
 RIGHTS
The FAI Secretary General has the responsibility and obligation to issue Sporting Licences on behalf
of FAI to all eligible individuals or to suspend or cancel any that he/she has issued.

The administrative process (including cost and duration) to issue Sporting Licences or to suspend or
cancel any that have been issued is described in the NACs or FAI regulations.

Sporting Licences by the FAI
The Secretary General shall issue a FAI Sporting Licence to individuals, on their requests, if they cannot
obtain a Sporting Licence under the provisions of 3.5.1.

FAI Competitor
A citizen or a resident of a country who is issued a FAI Sporting Licence by FAI represents the FAI in
FAI sporting events and in record attempts.

I spent some time looking through various FAI documents and found words that say the FAI license is issued by the Secretary General of the FAI. Addresses and names are listed in this document:
https://www.fai.org/secretariat

I hope this helps!

Regards,

Bill

Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline Bill Schluckbier

• Ensign
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2024, 09:57:31 AM »
Thank you Bill, much appreciated.