News:

• May 06, 2024, 05:47:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: NoblARF Trim  (Read 2033 times)

Offline Garf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
NoblARF Trim
« on: October 20, 2009, 11:43:17 AM »
The more I fly my NoblARF, the more I realise it needs some work. It doesn't turn to the outside as well as it does to the inside. I had to tweak the flaps substantially to level the wings. I'm afraid if I adjust the elevator pushrod to try to correct the turn, it will throw the wing trim off. Am I right?

Offline David Shad

• Commander
Re: NoblARF Trim
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 12:28:03 PM »
Phil...
    Mine had some similar problems.....I found that even with the very light box stock Fox .35  and tongue
muffler mine ended up a little nose heavy but .5oz on the tail took care of that...I also had to do some
flap tweeking but not too much to get the wings level. The controls were replaced with a set from Tom
Morris and the tank with a sullivan 4oz round clunk on uniflow... 3/4 oz of tip weight so all up weight at
the Clanton meet came in at 41oz on their scale.   Flying on 60' lines it flies great now and only needs
me to practice and get better...I am an intermediate pilot.  I managed a 399 at Clanton so for me this
plane is just right until I finish the Cardinal thats on the bench now.

After all that dissertation I realized I didn't really answer your question.  Mine was doing great outsides
in the beginning but I was really having to work to get the insides respectable (just took more control) so
that's when I went to the .5oz on the tail and it made the difference.  I had tried the elevator adjustment
but the tailweight was what finally worked.  Changing the elevator did not change the wings level situation
at all...hope this helps some.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 12:44:45 PM by David Shad »
Big Dave AMA 80235

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 10:05:01 PM »
Any experience helps. I'll try tail weight first. It will take surgery to access the controls now.

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 02:57:20 AM »
Garf: What engine do you have in it ?? I had a Mag 36 and an Evo 36 in mine and was great.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 09:29:26 AM »
It has an OS S35 with an aftermarket ABC P&C in it. Runs Great. Easiest starting inverted engine i've ever had.

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 09:30:25 AM »
Garf: What engine do you have in it ?? I had a Mag 36 and an Evo 36 in mine and was great.
Have you ever had a motor mount break loose?

Offline David Shad

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 11:39:31 AM »
Nope...not a problem at all...I did epoxy the big parts like vertical and horizontal
to the fuse plus the wing to fuse joint.  I was a little concerned about the vibration of the fox so I added a 1/8 ply plate on top to join the two mount beams but that was the only real addition to the planes structure...It's got a tad over 100 flights on it no signs of fatigue anywhere. Even the cowl has held up reasonably well despite
to landing nose overs in grass.   I also brushed in some thinned epoxy in the tank compartment for a little extra strength and fuel proofing.
Big Dave AMA 80235

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 05:28:58 PM »
Phil, have you checked the alignment with incidence meters? The wing might have negative incidence, which would then give upthrust. That would make the model turn insides easily, and outsides difficult. Once the flaps are installed, it's about impossible to use the incidence meter, unless they're removeable (which I'm in favor of). If you decide to experiment with down elevator trim, you can do that just like a flap tweek...bend the elevator horn. Takes at least two sets of hands and two sets of flap tweekers. Be sure the elevators are even when done. One elevator with more down than the other will make it fly poorly.  :o  Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 07:14:17 PM »
Garf, funny you should mention that. Yes, after I "Lawn Darted" it both motor mounts broke.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 09:45:57 PM »
Garf, funny you should mention that. Yes, after I "Lawn Darted" it both motor mounts broke.
That's not quite what I meant. Did a mount ever break loose from the fuselage in normal service?

Offline David Shad

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 07:15:25 AM »
Mine has not...and believe me I check...It flies quite a bit and I am always
concerned because of the extra vibration from the Fox.
Big Dave AMA 80235

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2009, 07:53:53 AM »
No Garf, as a matter of fact they were still attached to the fuse after the crash.
Leester
ama 830538

Alan Hahn

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2009, 08:09:53 AM »
I had my mounts come loose a few years back --I use a Brodak 40 on mine. This was one of the first ones that TF delivered.

I don't recall if loosening was crash related, or simply the glue letting loose. Anyway I glued them back on and also tied the two sides together by drilling two 1/8" holes through the entire fuse, just near the front firewall and the back former (in front of the wing). Then I glued two 1/8 inch bamboo skewers across the width of the fuse, and at the same time gluing the skewers to the firewall and former to add some extra support there. I needed the main gap to remain between the two mounts in the tank compartment, because I am using a round clunk tank there, and wanted the top of the tank to nestle between the two mounts (for tank height issues).

Seems to still be working.

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2009, 08:10:37 AM »
Phil, have you checked the alignment with incidence meters? The wing might have negative incidence, which would then give upthrust.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I don't own an incidence meter.
################################################################################################
 If you decide to experiment with down elevator trim, you can do that just like a flap tweek...bend the elevator horn.
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
It would be my luck something would break.

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2009, 08:13:50 AM »
It would seen these things are stronger than they seem. Time will tell.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here