News:

• June 10, 2024, 08:46:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Newbie question  (Read 1114 times)

Offline RDJeff

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Newbie question
« on: February 03, 2012, 05:11:06 PM »
What's the difference between a Thunderebird and a Smoothie?  They seem to be the same, but I may be missing something...
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 05:48:25 PM by RDJeff »

Offline Bob Whitely

• AMA Member
  • Commander
Re: Newbie question
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 07:03:11 PM »
Good Question. The differences are orders of magnitude. Both models are good flyers
in their own right, however the t-Bird is arguably the better of the two.
The Smoothie has a straight leading edge and a thinner airfoil. The overall size
is smaller. Built very,very light will do a decent corner. The T-Bird is a more
competitive model in every way. The Smoothie is good as a Classic model. The T-Bird
is great for Classic and very good in the Expert or Open class competition. The  Smoothie
needs a strong .35 whereas the T-Bird needs a strong .46-.51.  That's it, that's all there
is.  RJ

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 07:25:30 PM »
52" span (Smoothie) vs 56" span (T-Bird).  As noted by RJ, thicker airfoil on the 'Bird, and a much better flyer.  With proper power, turns on a dime.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 07:26:05 PM »

(Clip)

The Smoothie is good as a Classic model.

(Clip)

RJ

Actually, the Smoothie is OTS legal as well.  But it will be penalized because of its flaps.

Keith

Offline RDJeff

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 09:51:10 AM »
Will an FP40 be adequate for a Brodak T-Bird?

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 10:20:31 AM »
Will an FP40 be adequate for a Brodak T-Bird?

HI Jeff,

I believe the OS .40FP would be fine for all but the windiest of conditions.  Plus it will be cheaper for you not to have to buy another engine.  If you decide to get another engine, drop a .46LA in it.

The Brodak T-Bird is the T-Bird I, upright engine and ever so slightly smaller than the Veco T-Bird II.  Both fly very good.

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Hoss Cain

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 11:32:31 AM »
What's the difference between a Thunderebird and a Smoothie?  They seem to be the same, but I may be missing something...

The differences are very much. Back in the late '50s I flew a Veco Smoothie, Fox 35, a lot. It was not comparable to a Nobler on the contest scene. I built the first Thunderbird, Fox .35, which brought me my first Competition Trophy, a 3rd place in an Orangeburg SC event. That Thunderbird was smooth and capable but maybe a tad nose heavy because the corners were not really sharp. Back then I did not know much about the effects of CG and or prop selection on a CL model.
In the mid '60s I modified the then current Thunderbird II by slimming the fuselage, extending the tail moment 1.3 inches, and used a Johnson Stunt Supreme .35 with an OS needle valve and a plugged venturi by about 25%. Using a Tornado wood (plast-cote they called it) 10-4 prop, that combo was the STUNT SUPREME machine. I had to buy up every Tornado 10-4 that I could find. WITH ANY OTHER PROP it had a wing wobble on outside squares at the top of the maneuvers. WHY? I could never figure that one out.
It won 3 contests with George Aldrich judging when there were Noblers on the scene. It won several others around the circuits of those days including a Lake Jackson TX contest where a fellow of "Stuka" fame came in second. It also won at a couple events in the Chicago area in the late '60s. By that time I was flying the early designs of my own "Migs" then RC took over my activities. I sold out my CL inventory.
The Mig shall return!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 11:53:33 PM by Hoss Cain »
Horrace Cain
AMA L-93 CD and Leader
New Caney, TX  (NE Houston area)

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 11:45:57 AM »
I believe that the Smoothie, as offered in kit, ARF, or ARC from Brodak has the thicker airfoil......and the plans were signed by Bob Palmer......
As Bob says, a 46 or 51 work real well on the TBird....
I am working on a Smoothie right now that I plan to power with a Brodak 40.

Have fun!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here