News:

• May 03, 2024, 12:02:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Vector (done)(and tested)  (Read 3278 times)

Offline Phil Coopy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • SHADE TREE MECHANIC, NO ENGINEER
New Vector (done)(and tested)
« on: January 01, 2010, 11:48:03 AM »
I've been trying to finish a new Vector 40 for my Stalker 46, but now that I am ready to shoot clear, it decides to rain for a few days......sh happens.  Now I doubt that I'll have it ready and trimmed for KOI. Bummer.  Guess I'm happy that the old one still works pretty well. Of course the way I've been flying lately a brick with an engine would do fine.  Sorry, just venting......

Phil
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 08:25:22 PM by Phil Coopy »

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
Re: New Vector
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 11:51:48 AM »
Phil,

Don't be so hard on yourself. You are vastly improved from what we saw last year... #^

Ward-O
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 07:14:05 AM by Ward Van Duzer »
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 12:30:35 PM »
Yea, we have the same thing here right now. There's as much water in the air is there in, well, the water. Just asking for blushing. One of my goals is to develop and honest to gosh paint booth. one with exhaust fans, a concrete floor with water flow and a dehumidifier. One of these days.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Phil Coopy

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 06:13:04 AM »
According to USAIRNET the humidity is supposed to drop to 36% about 4PM today so I can get some clear done today. #^

Phil

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 09:11:41 AM »
Phil,  you don't want to take an untried plalne to the KOI.  You want something that you know.  Take the new one for display and trimming.  Hope you guys have great weather with mild breezes.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Phil Coopy

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 06:55:48 PM »
New Vector is almost ready.....just need lettering done...get my vinyl cutter out and do that tomorrow.....maybe fly later this week and decide how much trimming it needs....maybe I can use it for KOI.  Sure anxious to see how it flies on a the Stalker 46.  Any prop suggestions?

Phil

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: New Vector (update)
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 07:35:59 PM »
 Phil, That looks real nice. What does it weigh, and is that finish all dope? Keep us up to date with the trimming, and how well you like the Stalker engine..
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 07:42:36 PM »
Man that looks HOT!!!!
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Online Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 08:10:59 PM »
Phil,
Looks outstanding!
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Larrys4227

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 04:09:23 AM »
Once again, looks great Phil! Cant wait to see it being pulled by that Stalker!

Larry

Offline Phil Coopy

• Captain
Re: New Vector (done)
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 11:12:01 AM »
Finally got 'er finished...coat of Pledge and she'll be ready to fly if the weather ever warms up a bit and the wind drops below 10mph.  I used $kote on the wing & Stab, and dope on the fuselage. It came out 46.5 oz.  We'll se how she likes the Stalker 46SE in comparison to my other one with the LA46.  Maybe I can have it trimmed by the time KOI is here. LL~

Phil

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 02:42:49 PM »
Phil, that looks great!!!  I really like the color choices and the way it was layed out  y1 y1
Matt Colan

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 03:11:35 PM »
Very nice Phil!!  Plan to start on my first Vector build in a few weeks, gotta finish the Firecat on the board first. Any building tips or things you would do differently? I have a 46la to put in it but not sure about a tank size, i see you used an adjustable rudder, i will be using this to move up to intermediate, not sure if i would know the difference with it. Did one roll of monocote work? Do you mind questions when i start building?  Thanks , and again your Vector looks great. Ray
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2010, 08:35:15 AM »
I like lthat color scheme also.  It really stands out.  May have to borrow it.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Bram Anker

• New Pilot
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2010, 01:24:35 AM »
Phil,

I have been flying the same combo (Vector, Stalker .46SE) for more than a year now and it proved a great combination. Regarding the prop. I either use a Zinger 12x5 or an APC 12x5. Both preform well. Launch rpm with the Zinger is 7800-8000 rpm. I use a standard uniflow setup and do not use exhaust pressure. I tried it but the engine was speeding up to much towards the end of the flight. The only real issue I had with the engine was a hard 4-2 break coming out of the third loop going into inverted, same in some places of the square 8. This was cured using longreach plugs  (OS-F in stead of Enya 3). Hope you will enjoy it as much as I do.

Rgds, Bram Anker

Offline Bill Hodges

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2010, 01:54:46 PM »
Phil:

I love that paint scheme.  Don't be surprised if you see one of my planes that looks a lot like it.

Bill
Bill Hodges
AMA 12450

Offline Phil Coopy

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2010, 07:49:32 PM »
Took my new Vector 40 out today and flew it.  It turns a lot better than the old one did...not a surprise since it weighs about 6 1/2 ounces less that the old one.  I did some very tight clovers with it and it didn't seem to want to stall so that's good for me. The Stalker 46SE runs good but I think it still needs a lot more runs before it is completely broken in.  Not sure what the best plug is yet.  So far I only tested with a Zinger 11X5 prop and using FIA fuel.  Launch at about 8400RPMs. It runs 8:06 minutes on 4 ounces.  Happy camper so far..... ;D  More later.

Phil  

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: New Vector (done)(and tested)
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2010, 12:24:53 PM »
What kind of line length were you running, and what kind of lap speeds were you seeing?
Steve

Offline Phil Coopy

• Captain
Re: New Vector (done)(and tested)
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2010, 01:47:33 PM »
Steve,

I was flying on 60ft lines...was all alone at the field so I had my hands full.....didn't get lap times....next time.

Phil

Offline Bram Anker

• New Pilot
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2010, 01:54:06 AM »
Took my new Vector 40 out today and flew it.  It turns a lot better than the old one did...not a surprise since it weighs about 6 1/2 ounces less that the old one.  I did some very tight clovers with it and it didn't seem to want to stall so that's good for me. The Stalker 46SE runs good but I think it still needs a lot more runs before it is completely broken in.  Not sure what the best plug is yet.  So far I only tested with a Zinger 11X5 prop and using FIA fuel.  Launch at about 8400RPMs. It runs 8:06 minutes on 4 ounces.  Happy camper so far..... ;D  More later.

Phil  

Phil,
Stalkers typically need a long time to reach full potential. In my experience even after they are well broken in you will see a gradual increase in preformance. I had a .40SE which seemed to improve evan after more than 250 flights, not spectacular but every couple of weeks I thought, yes better again. As I said earlier, I think you can get away with a bigger prop, 12x5 works fine for me. It won't change airspeed but there is more thrust available, the margins are larger. Again, I use a longreach plug which improves the shape of the combustion chamber and gave me more reliable 4-2 breaks. I run 5% nitro fuel which may help turning the bigger prop and fly on 66ft lines doing 5,2sec laptimes. The aircraft preformes well anywhere between 4,8-5,4 sec. Any slower may present problems with my version of the Vector which is not super light (49oz)

Rgds, Bram

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here