News:

• June 16, 2024, 02:49:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: SCRAMBLE!!! MODEL AVIATION IMINENT!!  (Read 1754 times)

Offline Sean McEntee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
SCRAMBLE!!! MODEL AVIATION IMINENT!!
« on: July 08, 2016, 02:57:59 PM »
SWO is forecasting favorable winds for test flight: consistent 10kts.  That's about as good as it's going to get here for this time of year.  I tried reinforcing the LE/fuse joint--not much meat to join to the fuselage with that battery notch cut into the LE.  Perhaps it doesn't need as much being electrics but it's as strong as it's going to get with the supplies and equipment I have here.  An interesting note: 15 minute epoxy sets up in minutes out here between the heat and the lack of humidity so one has to work fast.  If anybody comes out here after me, bring 1-hour slow cure with you!

Gonna run home, throw some batteries on the charge, and head out with the sun to try to get this thing flying.  Stay tuned.

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re:
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 03:41:43 PM »
Good luck!!!
Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline David_Stack

• 2016 supporter
  • Lieutenant
Re: SCRAMBLE!!! MODEL AVIATION IMINENT!!
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 06:42:53 AM »
A true enthusiast will ALWAYS find a way to pursue their passion.

Thank you for your service Sean...

r/
Dave

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 07:37:39 AM »
 HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~>  HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~>

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 07:43:15 AM »
   So I didn't know that BOTH connectors had to be plugged into the charger.  Thanks to James Mills and Crist Rigotti for quickly diagnosing my rookie mistake  ;D  I have the proper adapter already on order.  

It would normally cause a fit of rage, but I was laughing about it last night...still a pleasant distraction from the "Groundhog Day" existence out here lol.

Well try again in about a week or so.  

EDIT: James I'm going to let that "officer" remark slide  LL~

Offline Rich Perry

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2016, 10:28:26 AM »
Be sure to watch those batteries closely when charging, and it is best to have them in a fireproof container.  They can and will ignite!!!   A fellow club member burned his garage down a few months back.  Lost almost all of his models.  It is best to balance charge every time.

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2016, 12:16:28 PM »
Be sure to watch those batteries closely when charging, and it is best to have them in a fireproof container.  They can and will ignite!!!   A fellow club member burned his garage down a few months back.  Lost almost all of his models.  It is best to balance charge every time.

Sage advise Rich. I have bags for each battery and they don't leave them until it's time to fly. I also keep them in a "tactically acquired" .556 ammo can that is lined with foam to prevent shorting. Would have allot of people mad at me if I burned the barracks down!

Offline Paul Wescott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2016, 01:30:49 PM »
How long before the adapter arrives Sean?

Paul W.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 12:52:48 AM by Paul W. »

Offline James Mills

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2016, 04:13:31 PM »
  So I didn't know that BOTH connectors had to be plugged into the charger.  Thanks to James Mills and Crist Rigotti for quickly diagnosing my rookie mistake  ;D  I have the proper adapter already on order.  

It would normally cause a fit of rage, but I was laughing about it last night...still a pleasant distraction from the "Groundhog Day" existence out here lol.

Well try again in about a week or so.  

EDIT: James I'm going to let that "officer" remark slide  LL~
Made me laugh #^

James
AMA 491167

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2016, 04:13:06 PM »
You probably already know this, but if you mix your epoxy in a cup, then spread it out on a paper plate (or the last issue of Model Aviation, AKA "Drone Monthly", it will cure slower since it won't exotherm.
Of course, if you need it grouped up for application, it's not helpful having it spread out on a plate.
But if you are brushing it on an area, this works pretty well.

Your connector picture and post gave me a belly laugh, thanks for that AND your service!

V/r,
Chris
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here