News:

• April 28, 2024, 09:18:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New kits? of KYO, Eureka or Aristo-Craft  (Read 5287 times)

Offline Steve Hand

• Exemplary Stunt Planes
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
  • Ain't it fun?
New kits? of KYO, Eureka or Aristo-Craft
« on: October 29, 2007, 10:08:22 AM »
I made the following post on Stuka and I would like your opinions also.

Would any of you be interested if I had one or some of these old kits manufactured. There is so much nostalgia here to try and keep. I could do at least one and I promise you this. It would be laser cut and all of the parts would fit. It would also include CAD drawings. There has been so much interest in the original thread, including mine. Kyle would do the work, I would make the investment and you fight over which one you think it ought to be. Cost? Who knows? They would also include spun cowlings. Hash it out and see which one rises to the top. In two weeks I travel to China (I'm teaching not ARFing) and will be gone for two weeks. This will probably be decided upon when I return as to yeas and nays. I do not care about the profit margins. Go to E-Bay for that.
Steve

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
Re: New kits? of KYO, Eureka or Aristo-Craft
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 10:37:07 AM »
Steve
For those of us not familiar with these planes could you provide some pictures?
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Offline Steve Hand

• Exemplary Stunt Planes
  • Lieutenant
  • Ain't it fun?
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 10:47:17 AM »
Andy,

Sorry, I don't have any. Go to the original thread over there and read  about 52 respondant"s discussions concerning these planes. Some on both sites have built some of these original kits, some still have the kits as collectors items and many have the plans. I have the B-36 plans.
Steve

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 11:05:51 AM »
Hi Steve,

I replied at SSW, but only as to what I have and had.

Man, the costs of producing those kits now would seem to be almost prohibitive! A LOT of wood, and a ton of parts in each one, as you know.  I would LOVE to have one, but I am pretty sure that I probably couldn't afford one.....  :'(

I bought a set of six Veco spinners and Tornado pusher props a couple years ago that had been used on a Kyosho B-36!  It had used either six 15s or 19s.

My favorite would be hard to pick.  The B-29, B-36, Super Connie, there were so many neat subjects.  Unfortunately they never kitted my favorite...... the B-17!

Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Steve Hand

• Exemplary Stunt Planes
  • Lieutenant
  • Ain't it fun?
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 11:14:41 AM »
Bill,

The B-17. Wow, my father comes to mind every time I think of it. It is a fairly popular item in RC, especially the Ziroli version.
Steve

Offline Louis Rankin

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 11:35:55 AM »
Put me down for the Connie!!!!!!
Louis Rankin
Somerville Tennessee
AMA 10859

Offline Michael Boucher

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 11:48:53 AM »
Connie , DC-3 OR DC-7 ;)
AMA 59633

Offline Ken Deboy

• Commander
    • Silk and Dope
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 02:07:33 PM »

Man, the costs of producing those kits now would seem to be almost prohibitive! A LOT of wood, and a ton of parts in each one, as you know. 

Even if expensive I would want one. My other hobby is also expensive. A little SP 2-6-0 with factory paint is almost $1000 in HO scale brass. A brass SP 2-8-2 in S Scale is a little over $2000 if you can find one. I think quality is worth it though, so even though it would really be a stretch for me, I'd buy a Connie or (especially) a B-36 if a kit was produced.

cheers,
Ken
There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2007, 04:47:13 PM »
I would opt for the Lockheed Constellation,  Haven't heard how there doing on the flying one here in KC, as the last I heard one of the jugs departed on one of the engine.  The engines were in need of a complete going over also.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2007, 04:55:51 PM »
  Depending om my monetary being at the time they become available, I would go for the B-36 and/or Connie.  Although it would be nice to compare my Eureka  B-29 kit to one that has been laser cut.
  Wonder how they are going to make the spars??   HMMM

Bigiron
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Offline Darrell Mims

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2007, 06:59:21 AM »
Connie , DC-3 OR DC-7 ;)
8)   I have a DC-7 and a C-119 ,B-25 and a DC-3  I know where there is a B-50 and I think this guy still has a Connie !   It would be nice to see these kits back on the market !

Offline Steve Hand

• Exemplary Stunt Planes
  • Lieutenant
  • Ain't it fun?
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2007, 09:08:28 AM »
Guys,

I am overwhelmed and humbled by your responses on both boards. Let's try to educate each other at the same time by attempting to list what planes were made by each kit maker. If you have a definitive contribution just type in the maker and list underneath what they produced. Kyle and I spent the better part of an hour last night talking about this project.
Steve

Offline Michael Boucher

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2007, 11:03:47 AM »
I have a question.  ??? I know someone  of the Japanese companies  made a 30 "somewhat" inch Stuka model.  Does anyone have any information on this?  Polk's in New York might have carried it at one time.  It was .09 powered.   Thanks for looking.
AMA 59633

Offline Steve Hand

• Exemplary Stunt Planes
  • Lieutenant
  • Ain't it fun?
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2007, 11:14:32 AM »
One more question. How does "Royal" fit into all of this?
Steve

Offline George Waters

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2007, 04:30:59 PM »
I have a few pictures of a b 36 powered by six fox 19's flown off the grass at Kirby park in Wilkes Barre in 1958&59. Also at that meet was a b 29 with k&b engines on it. The B 36 was really neat  to watch and hear. I was 10 &11 when I saw these flights. I have one of the B50 kits and aC47 kit to build, soon I hope. While in RVN we flew a c47 with two os 15iii rc engines on it. I wasn't overpowered but flew ok as I recall. I also have aRegal p38 that a local modeler started in the late fifties. It is covered with fiberglas resin,set up for McCoy 35 engines, it weighs 6 or 7 pounds now so it probably won't fly without a majopr weight loss program.   George

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2007, 07:28:49 PM »
These kits combined the worst of two worlds....they were horribly out of scale, and didn't fly well.

Imagine what someone could create today with CAD and the same concept of modern aerodynamics that Paul Walker, Al Rabe or Windy have applied to their semi-scale critters....

A CAD designed, laser cut kit would even fit together.....something those Aristo-Craft, etc kits didn't do so well.

Offline Steve Hand

• Exemplary Stunt Planes
  • Lieutenant
  • Ain't it fun?
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2007, 05:23:07 AM »
Take a stroll over to Larry Richard's site at Richard's Kits and check out the "Connie" he built back in 1977. Once you get to the site hit the photos section. There are three superb shots of this beautiful bird. Get in touch with Larry and he can tell you all about his history of the build (fits, time, engines, weight, finish, etc.). Correct me if I'm wrong, Larry, but didn't you say that is still on display somewhere in California? If you are just coming back into CL or need a great profile kit, check his site out anyway. He has a quite an array of selections.
Steve

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2007, 07:31:20 AM »
A B-50 or B-36 would totally rock!  I think today I would engineer something like that with electric power in mind right from the beginning.

Laser cutting and good CAD design work could make assembly straightforward, regardless of the structural complexity.  I think the hardest part of creating a kit would not be the structure, but rather figuring out the sequencing for assembly to put in the instructions, so the builder of the kit gets it together in the right order.

Steve
Steve

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2007, 09:28:22 AM »
These kits combined the worst of two worlds....they were horribly out of scale, and didn't fly well.

I disagree  with part of your statement Rich.  Both  my B-29 AND my AD-4 flew quite well.  Out of scale  yes, but poor flying  ---  not so.  All of them I have seen,not just mine, flew very well.

Bigiron
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Offline PatRobinson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2007, 10:31:45 AM »
To Steve Hand:
Steve,
I have been following this thread with some interest and it seems to me that the primary appeal of these kit had ,back then,  is that they were the only kits available for certain planes people wanted to model. I have read about them not being accurately scale and not fitting very well. I haven't heard comments about wood quality bad or good, but the good news is that Marvin Denny say they actually fly quite nicely.

So Steve, I would think the best course is to use cad design to fix the scale deficencies and bad fits and when you add the accuracy of laser cutting you would end up with a superior product. I am not hearing any fond memories for these brands of kits but I am hearing the same desire for a kit of a "hard to find" modeling subject just like that which existed years ago.

If these designs could be adapted to work as scale RC then your kit market would expand expotentially if that was your desire. 

You mentioned spun aluminum cowlings but I wondered if it might be cheaper and lighter to have someone like "Fiberglass Masters Co." to fabricate your cowls or maybe even a whole engine nacelle with the cowl.  Just an idea.

You mentioned Royal kits but I can't  remember all their plane selections.
Actually , I think a complete master list of the kits that were available from all these manufacturers would help your customers figure out what they want which would help you with your planning.  Again , just an idea.

This is very interesting.
                                                           Pat Robinson

Offline builditright

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • So happy to be alive!
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2007, 01:59:27 AM »
posting these pictures for Steve

Thank you and God Bless
Walter
aka/ builditright

Offline Steve Hand

• Exemplary Stunt Planes
  • Lieutenant
  • Ain't it fun?
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2007, 04:29:39 AM »
OK. It only took about 18 hours to get these on here because I couldn't do it. They came from a gentleman who e-mailed them to me. His name is Ken Wilson. Ken describes himself as "largely a little known aviation historian" who flew C-124's from 1954-59 during his Air Force career. We all owe Ken a "thank you" for his contribution to model aviation history for letting us see these ads.

Thanks goes to Walter Umland for posting these on this web-site. EVERYBODY knows Walter and what his contribution to CL has been over the years. He did this late, late last night as a favor to me, but actually for YOU. Keep Walter in your prayers as his son returns from war.  P.S.  Check out his kit web at buildrightflyright or just type in his name and it will take you there.
Steve

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2007, 07:26:40 AM »
Hey!, look!  Banjock's MiG is in that add!
Steve

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2007, 08:06:58 AM »
re. reply 3 and 4
I believe there was a B-17 model in Walt Umland's past.
Past - as in "many,many years ago!"  ;)
roger v.
Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2007, 09:04:20 AM »
IIRC,  Walter told me his B-17 came from a Royal kit for Stand Off Scale, or whatever that event is called in C/L.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here