News:

• April 26, 2024, 05:23:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Handle  (Read 3396 times)

Online Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
New Handle
« on: December 27, 2018, 04:51:56 PM »
The neutral trim can be changed by rotating the black knob.  ~>

Works real well.   y1

Bob Z.

Online Larry Fernandez

• Admiral
Re: New Handle
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 04:56:50 PM »
The neutral trim can be changed by rotating the black knob.  ~>

Works real well.   y1

Bob Z.

Great, but how do adjust the line spacing?

Online Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 05:13:32 PM »
No adjustment on line spacing.

Offline Don Jenkins

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 07:18:59 AM »
In the few short years that I have been building and flying (so I am by no means an authority on the subject, nor do I pretend to be) I have found if I build all of my planes with the same adjustable ball link control system, so the sensitivity and throw of the controls is always the same, and I ensure everything is zeroed with incidence meters during construction, I can use the same line spacing and never adjust my handle.  I also have a clip bender so line length is adjusted with the clips, and I have a set of lines and clips dedicated to each plane, so once again I don't adjust my handle.  Since I am simple minded this method takes one piece out of the equation when I'm at the field.  Also, I am not a contender to take on the world's best, so the tiny tweaking that might be done with handle adjustments don't make a difference at my skill level, therefore I use the same handle all the time because I really like it and it minimizes the issues with my tendonitis that flares up periodically. 

Don

Offline chris perkins

• New Pilot
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2018, 03:01:02 AM »
Hi Don , Any chance of a photo of your clip bender please ?
 Thanks in advance and 'Tight lines' for 2019

Chris

Online Dennis Nunes

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2018, 04:39:58 AM »
Here's the instructions and plan of the Clip Bender available through Lee Machine Shop.

www.leemachineshop.com

Enjoy,
Dennis

Offline chris perkins

• New Pilot
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2018, 07:28:33 AM »
Thank You Dennis , A very handy tool by the looks of it.

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2018, 04:37:40 PM »
In the few short years that I have been building and flying (so I am by no means an authority on the subject, nor do I pretend to be) I have found if I build all of my planes with the same adjustable ball link control system, so the sensitivity and throw of the controls is always the same, and I ensure everything is zeroed with incidence meters during construction, I can use the same line spacing and never adjust my handle.  I also have a clip bender so line length is adjusted with the clips, and I have a set of lines and clips dedicated to each plane, so once again I don't adjust my handle.  Since I am simple minded this method takes one piece out of the equation when I'm at the field.  Also, I am not a contender to take on the world's best, so the tiny tweaking that might be done with handle adjustments don't make a difference at my skill level, therefore I use the same handle all the time because I really like it and it minimizes the issues with my tendonitis that flares up periodically. 

Don

I strongly suspect that if you're serious about competing in Stunt, you will eventually want to get rid of the cables on the handle shown and use a handle that allows line spacing adjustment.  There have been several handles with the type of adjustment shown on this one...in fact I own two different ones.  They are very convenient if you want to change handles between airplanes.  However they become a real burden if you wish to compete at higher levels.  They are simply a good "sport handle" but do not have enough adjustments for serious competition and cables tend to be too heavy and insensitive for serious competition. 

I guess it just depends on where you want to go with stunt!  If you're serious use a handle that is light and has as many adjustments as possible!

If you're not serious...have fun!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Don Jenkins

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2018, 08:02:51 AM »
I strongly suspect that if you're serious about competing in Stunt, you will eventually want to get rid of the cables on the handle shown and use a handle that allows line spacing adjustment.  There have been several handles with the type of adjustment shown on this one...in fact I own two different ones.  They are very convenient if you want to change handles between airplanes.  However they become a real burden if you wish to compete at higher levels.  They are simply a good "sport handle" but do not have enough adjustments for serious competition and cables tend to be too heavy and insensitive for serious competition. 

I guess it just depends on where you want to go with stunt!  If you're serious use a handle that is light and has as many adjustments as possible!

If you're not serious...have fun!

Randy Cuberly

Hi Randy!

The handle photo that started this thread belongs to Bob Z, a great builder and flier.  I use a hard point Smith Brothers Stunt Carbon Fiber Handle surrounded by balsa, I don't think there is anything lighter out there!  It has line spacing adjustments, but I don't need to change them between planes because the last 8 planes I built all have the same exact adjustable ball link control systems with the same throw and sensitivity, and they all turn inside and outside the same.  My point was simply to share a system I use to build in consistency in my planes and routine, and once a plane is trimmed (without the need to adjust the handle) I use a dedicated set of lines and clips so I don't have to think too hard at the field with only one handle that works great with all of my planes!  This works well for me, but clearly isn't for everyone.  By the way, I always have fun, but seldom take anything too seriously!  Tight lines!

Don

« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 07:37:18 AM by Don Jenkins »

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2018, 05:06:08 PM »
I don't think there is anything lighter out there!

There’s one in a pawn shop somewhere in Dallas. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Online Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2019, 08:39:13 AM »
When I designed and built that handle, I meant it strictly for sport flying.
I will quite often switch lines and the handle is perfect for fine tuning the neutral.
I rarely tinker with line spacing although my next design may incorporate that.

Bob Z.

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2019, 08:20:15 PM »
There’s one in a pawn shop somewhere in Dallas.

Yuk, yuk, along with some prescription sunglasses!
Mike

Offline Phil Spillman

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2019, 08:34:01 PM »
Hi Bob, Really nice looking handle. However for me I have found the line spacing adjustment to be an indispensable attribute! Went out flying yesterday and had "fixed" a problem with one of my planes detected on Wednesday of this week. Prior to the fix the handle as set up that earlier day worked fine, but since the fix I really needed to readjust the entire set up especially the spacing! Once all the new trims were incorporated the thing was a fine flying plane! The performance was much better than ever! I'd be lost without the width fix! Just my two pesos worth!

Phil Spillman
Phil Spillman

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2019, 03:20:42 PM »
This is my favorite handle.  Plexiglass, drilled and tapped 10-32 for steel threaded rod.  Steel plates brazed to the ends for line clips.  A thumb- Jam-nut keeps the adjustment locked in place.  I don't think line spacing adjustment is that important.  I use 4" bellcrank, and tailor the airplane geometry for slow response.  It all evens out.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Mike Lindler

• New Pilot
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2019, 02:09:14 PM »
I have no smartass criticism or comment other than to congratulate Z on trying something new in a sport that's fading fast. Fine work Bob. Hope to try it someday.

Offline JoeJust

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2019, 02:41:21 PM »
Bob, your fine looking handle looks a lot like one of my factories from the past, the Aldricth handle. I have been using I since 1984. While hey were a good seller by the company in Spokane that took over most of George's name products, they dropped it. From what I heard recently these handles are still in boxes by the dozens but without lead outs or the screw that allows moving the lead outs for adjustment. Your handle is just what guys like me need, a piece of tooling that works up to and past our skill level.
Joe Just
I only enter contests so somebody else is not always in last place

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here