News:

• May 05, 2024, 12:39:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Designs in CL  (Read 5327 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: New Designs in CL
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2019, 10:00:36 PM »
Dennis, that's cool.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline IdRatherBeBuilding

• Lieutenant
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2019, 10:40:19 PM »
Dennis, How was the speed at level flight vs vertical?
What year was this? Are you planning to go back to it? Maybe even build another bird?

David Miller
David Miller

A society grows great when old men plant trees the shade they know they will never sit in

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2019, 10:38:12 AM »
I have two canards that I have been flying off and on.  I have done the complete pattern with the one designed by Dick Sarpolous(spelling).  The other is designed for the Ringmaster variant.    I have also found that the canard elevator is no good for control until the plane gets moving.   The gear has to be quite forward to keep the nose up unless you have a movable surface on the main wing.  I would think that the ducted fan would be the same.   I remember the young man from St Louis that ha the RC Mig on control line.  Our circle was not big enough for 70 lines that he flew on.  Took over a lap to get air borne.   No loops or maneuvers.   I think the pics of my canards are in the forum some where. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2019, 10:41:10 AM »
The E Jet is based on a Jr. Nobler wing (rib set from Brodak). The moments and tail area are more of a "Fancherized Twister" sizing. With the extra weight of the 4000 4S1P battery, the flaps are Al Rabe ish. Flaps are 2 1/2" full length. The twin boom design was chosen to get the jet on centerline, all the surfaces are on centerline too. The jet is mounted 3/16" off the trailing edge in the profile center fuse. The battery is as far forward as needed to get the CG at the 20% cord line.

As I said in the prior post the ship comes off the ground just like it was a prop ship in about 15'. It doesn't lose speed in the maneuvers and does a very good wing over. I have only done 2 consecutive loops and eights but is was because of flight time and battery. I haven't done the vertical 8 cause as I was working up the nerve to try it I got side tracked for contests and work. The ship got put on the rake and I didn't get back to it last year. Hope to pull it out and start working with it soon.

The electric side has a E-flite in-runner BL 15 - 3600 KV motor. It pulls 42amps static at 38,500 rpm. I use a Castle Creations Edge 50ESP and a 3750 to 4000 4S1P battery pack. I have not found the longest flight time it would go and still have 20% headroom, was working up to that (would like to get to 5 mins but that might be a a bit to long).

If one were going to build one of these EDF stunters here is what I learned and would do different:

1) The max static thrust rating of the unit should have at least 20% reserve above the weight of the ship. Don't make the ship to small, 69 - 70mm fan is about like a full 2 cycle on a Fox 35. Base the design on what you would use for a low pitch/high rpm set up.

2) All inline arrangement works well.

3) Mount the EDF unit up close to the CG to reduce the need for a long nose moment to get the correct CG.

4) Make the battery box with extra 1" front and back to shift battery for balance.

Best,    DennisT

« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 11:38:36 AM by Dennis Toth »

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2019, 06:43:41 PM »
A canard triplane!  Why didn't I think of that?

Well, except that I hate building wings...

There was a guy that showed up at Brodak several times with seriously out of the box planes.  I think he did a biplane, a triplane, and the last plane I saw from him I think was a quad wing.  The first ones flew pretty well, I thought.  He didn't get near the score he should have gotten, whatever class he was flying.  Probably why he quit coming.
phil Cartier

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2019, 06:25:53 AM »
There was a guy that showed up at Brodak several times with seriously out of the box planes.  I think he did a biplane, a triplane, and the last plane I saw from him I think was a quad wing.  The first ones flew pretty well, I thought.  He didn't get near the score he should have gotten, whatever class he was flying.  Probably why he quit coming.

That had to be Jim Sumner. Yeah, he's an "out of the box" kind of designer, but his planes flew amazingly well, and he's a pretty darn good flier too. I think the reason we don't see him more is that it's a long commute in from Mars... (only kidding; I like Jim and respect the fact that he thinks real far outside the container.)

Bob Hunt

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2019, 10:35:40 AM »
Bob,
What ever happened to the swept forward canard you were working on? Did you ever build the next size up ship? That might work well with an EDF. Hey if your going to think outside the box of normal stunt design might as well go all in.

Best,   DennisT

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here