News:

• April 26, 2024, 02:19:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Build - Frankenlaser CLPA  (Read 2947 times)

Offline Mark wood

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • I'm here purely for the fun of it.
New Build - Frankenlaser CLPA
« on: December 17, 2021, 11:41:04 AM »
In the ice age previous to the current one we are in which is closing, I said I was going to build Frankenlaser CLPA. As all things happen being an ubergeek such things tend to dive far too deep into science and engineering. Some may have seen many different avenues in R&D I have embarked upon in this journey. I've worked on propellers, airfoils and flight dynamics in order to gain an understanding of what it takes to build a good CL PA airplane. The normal technique is to build upon previous technologies by taking a particular design and make small modifications, see how it works, wash, rinse and repeat.  While I do that to a degree, it isn't my way. I prefer to understand what the dependencies are and attempt to find paths to optimization.

In some regards, the mission will define the ultimate path and all designs will converge on a particularly narrow range of configurations. We can see that in how transport jets have evolved. When we look at these jets we will find that for a particular range and payload specification the jets made by all of the different companies pretty much look the same. Same is true with the modern CLPA airplane. Of course there is a number of really super cool semi scale airplanes. Those airplanes will always be a thing of my admiration for both the model and the modeler who built them. My personal ability to have that much patience is non existent. I have the craft skills just not the patience.

My thing is the science and engineering. My models don't have to be the prettiest. I finish fast and light. In the highest level of PA competition that is a massive handicap which results in the likelihood of my participation in such events to be near zero. That is not my focus. My focus is on improving the performance as best I can. And making a change. If I find myself in a place where I don't think I am reaching that goal, I change directions and focus elsewhere. Today, I think I have an aircraft potential which I think may do that. The road has been significant. And documented in the forum.

In this thread my effort is going to be twofold. One is to try and bring together my thought process and how I came to make the decisions on the configuration. And two is to show the implementation of those decisions. Today, I am nearing completion the third significant iteration of my wing design. I am one or two work days away from sending parts to the laser cutter and 3D printer. That will be a little while as I have some full size work I need to get done first.

Most of the parts on this design will require no to minimal machining. I intend on relying heavily on the 3D printed parts which will use Nylon, ABS, PETG  and carbon fiber impregnated version of those specific to the strength required and ability to operate with low friction. The added benefit to this approach is that, should the interest be present, I can provide parts to others. For a price of course. I intend on using spruce in a few places and that spruce will be recycled from wing spars out of a full size Citabria. I'll make attempts at making my shop more presentable in the process as well. It's  freaking mess but it's orders of magnitude better than it was 6 months ago.

I'm attaching an image of the current solid model. There are some linkages left to install but the basic planform is present.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 12:11:51 PM by Mark wood »
Life is good AMA 1488
Why do we fly? We are practicing, you might say, what it means to be alive...  -Richard Bach
“Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.” – Richard P. Feynman

Offline Mark wood

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
Re: New Build - Frankenlaser CLPA
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2021, 07:47:46 AM »
I received a couple very good questions via PM. I think that route is good as it provides opportunity to consider and deliberate without posting garbage. So, please PM questions if you think they are not "prime time" ready. How I arrived here has been a much longer road than I would have ever expected.

My intent in this thread to to elaborate my decision making process and how I came to the conclusions I did. Oftentimes, I hold an opinion which is contrary to the common sense. Sometimes, I'm even correct. To an outsider, someone not wandering around inside my head, my actions seem crazy. Sometimes, they're correct.

Keith Trostle sent me the follow note. I am aware of much of the past history of stunt design. I'm an engineering scientist guy, I watch even though I'm not participating because cool ideas happen in many places.

I cannot attach two of the NACA reports L-355 and L-380 which form a large part of the technical information used in the development of the offset hinge flap idea because they are too large. It's actually not new in any way. It simply hasn't been applied to a CLPA airplane before to my knowledge. Or if it has been it was discounted. PM me with your email address and I'll send you the reports.

------
Mark,

I am looking forward to your progress reports as you work on your new project.

I viewed with interest your illustration of your wing/flap arrangement in your 11:41 post just now.  It appears that the hinge line on that flap is well behind the LE of that flap.  This results in a significant "bump" on the airfoil at the flap LE when it deflects from neutral.  I have experience with only a slight "bump" with flap deflection and for me, it causes significant reduction in turn performance.  I allluded to this in a previous communication with you.

This is related to the physical airfoil tests Al Rabe did with a number of airfoils on the hood of his car years ago where he took my airfoil and intentionally positioned the hinge so that the LE of the flap would rise above the TE of the wing at the flap hinge line.  He measured that the airfoil with the deflected flap did not have the lift performance of a more "normal" stunt airfoil/flap arrangement.  He did this so that the deflected flap would tend to "seal" the gap at the flap hinge line.  In my humble opinion, the thought of sealing the gap is good.  However that "bump" further disrupts the airflow which is probably already turbulent at that position of the airfoil and cause it to separate before the airflow passes over the rest of the flap, causing a significant reduction in the effectiveness of the deflected flap.  In my experience, I have demonstrated proof that such a bump causes a significant reduction in the performance of the deflected flaps.

If you want me to go into detail on this, I will be happy to explain.

Keith Trostle

-------

Thanks Keith

There is an answer to that and it lies within the expected operating range and the curvature of the parent airfoil. The picture posted has the flap in close to the maximum deflection. However that isn't where the expected operating range will be. The bump is an issue but can be mitigated to a degree by contour. There are several NACA reports dealing with different nose profiles of the flap design which project in to the airstream. Actually it is on control surfaces but that pretty much what the flap is. In some recent modern aerobatic airplanes "the bump" is a feature that is tuned to help create suction on the forward portion of the offset hinge flap. The flap (aileron) is actually made thicker than the wing and "the bump" is present even when the flap is in trailing neutral. This helps reduce the hinge moment. Look up the Extreme Decathlon which is actually very noticeable.

When we consider the aircraft operating conditions the design parameters can be determined. For the CLPA airplane making tight 6-10 G maneuvers, the design operating point is between Cl =1.3-1.5 which is less than the Cl max even on the current NACA 0020 sections. To the individual in Cl, it seems, all are focused upon Cl Max which really infrequently occurs in operation.  That's one of the reasons I did the AOA testing to figure out where that airfoil is actually operating. Turns out that in the squares to be somewhere around AOA of 7 degrees and Cl of 1.3 ish. I think I posted a NACA just like that condition. It’s the OH8’s which reach the highest AOA angles.

So the design point definition has to be understood. I'll talk about that some in my next post. It begins with an analysis of the aircraft trajectory. If you watch a combat plane or non flapped airplane do the pattern, which many are capable of including my profile non flapped prototype of this airplane, they don't present well especially in the exits of the squares. This is due to the need to achieve the 1.3 Cl point which a non flapped airplane has to pitch inward of the path tangent by 15-17 degrees.  A flapped model using a 20% flap deflected 25 degrees needs 4-7 degrees AOA. Math model and flight test substantiated. This means a flapped model has a much smaller pitch movement to hit the flight path trajectory on the exit, therefore presenting better.

I find that I, as the meat servo feedback, tend to oscillate a slight bit with that. Pilot Induced Oscillation, PIO. More experienced meat servos find it much more rapidly. I'll likely never be that guy. I'll get close and then a squirrel will wander by and I'm off. Like I said, I like the technical challenge. So from this I derive a design requirement. In order to make an improvement to the maneuvering presentation of the PA model, the combination of flaps and pitch rate need to be able to generate the required Cl of 1.3-1.5 with zero AOA in order to maintain fuselage attitude to the flight path tangent.

The 20% flap on the NACA 0020 and relatives simply won’t do that. A 25% flap might marginally do it and the 40% flap will do it readily. The reason why these airfoil flap combinations won’t do it is because the flap has to be deflected in excess of 25 degrees which promotes separation and must be pitched beyond 0 AOA up to around 7 AOA. Around 30 % flap ratio the angle of deflection reduces and a 35% flap will achieve the 0 AOA Cl of 1.3 with about 16 degrees flap deflection. Reset the flap to this position and the bump isn’t as pronounced.

Now if I were to take the standard approach to this maneuvering requirement and look simply at the flapped airfoil, do the standard AOA sweep analysis, I would find that the Cl Max is lower somewhat. My question to you is why is Cl Max important when it isn’t an operating condition? Yes we could get there but not under normal operating parameters.

Interestingly for some of these sections doing the AOA sweep I would find that the Cl curve is non linear and at times the Cl decreases with reduced AOA as a result of separation occurring on the underside of the airfoil. From that I pose a similar question, does that mean we shouldn’t use that airfoil – flap combination on our airplanes? The answer better be no because some of the sections are in use and do in fact behave that way but, due to the operating zone in use, that range is never used. 

We tend to be focused upon Cl to the point of obsession and disregard the drag portion which steals our precious energy. If I go back to the operating point of Cl 1.3 and I compare the larger lower angle deflected flap to the smaller higher angle flap the drag is significantly less with the larger flap. Granted there is some unknown as a result of the “bump” which likely reduces some of that benefit but the bump has other benefits.

There is significant drawback to using a large flap which is the resulting hinge moment. There’s lots of ways of evaluating this but typically we use a pressure distribution which is rectangular then tapering from the hinge to the TE and then integrate the moments about the hinge line. The short hand way of doing this is assume all of the flap lift acts through the 25% MAC of the flap. Not perfect but this 10 man aerodynamic engineering team either. Moving the hinge line from the extreme LE to the 25% would nearly remove all of the hinge moment. This is what my spade testing was about as spades do the same thing pretty much and they cause some interesting commentary.

There is a trend in some modern aerobatic airplanes using the offset hinge to actually increase the thickness of the flap behind the wing cutout resulting in the flap being thicker than the wing in this region. The idea of this is that the airflow velocity increase will reduce the pressure on the projecting portion and help lift the surface. This in turn helps reduce the hinge moment. In the NACA reports, they wind tunnel tested lots of different nose contours and many help quite a bit. The elliptical curve I have drawn is a place holder kinda. This wing and airplane are being built to be readily modified and different flap configurations can be readily substituted including moving the hinge point.

If we look to the NACA reports, L-301, L-355 and L-380 an interesting thing pops out when they evaluated the shape of the flap nose overhang. This result from L-355; “The lift effectiveness of the aerodynamically balanced flap was increased slightly over that of a plain flap when a blunt or medium flap nose was used on the balanced flap”, the medium nose referring to a contour similar to a symmetrical airfoil section. This is partially why I chose the elliptical profile of the flap. The report further concludes; “The medium nose on the flap gave the highest values of lift at positive angles of attack and flap deflection with the larger gap tested”.

So, there’s set of compromises taking place in all of this and it is true that sometimes the “bump” will cause a reduction in Cl max. This, I hope, has been mitigated by limiting the deflection to a region where it isn’t an issue. The Log crank will functionally end up limiting the flap deflection to around 20 degrees. The luffing bar bellcrank should help dampen the PIO.

Along my road, I ran various sections through my airfoil modeling software’s. I primarily use two, Visual foil which works well for mass crunching and Java foil which can handle sharp curvature variations. The airfoil tools use a polynomial curve fit and visual foil tends to crash when I model a thin flap airfoil.

I evaluated the thick parent sections like what Al’s airfoils are, albeit without the super thin flap. And they work fairly well but not as well as my NACE or the Eppler section I plan on using. The reason they don’t perform as well is likely why the “bump” was seen to problematic. These sections tend to have a long thick zone stretching back quite far in to the profile. The result of this is that here becomes a rather steep adverse pressure gradient in the last portion of the airfoil. The boundary layer encounters a steep rise in pressure. If a perturbation occurs in this zone, separation is likely to occur resulting in a lowering of Cl max.  Both the NACE and Eppler have shallower pressure gradients in this zone and consequently should be able to weather the perturbation there.   

Keep in mind that model based analysis is just that and requires verification. My experience with these models is fairly positive. If I had to place a confidence level on the tools I would use 80%-85%. I’ve had results which plain didn’t work especially in the lower Rn ranges, lower than where we operate.
Life is good AMA 1488
Why do we fly? We are practicing, you might say, what it means to be alive...  -Richard Bach
“Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.” – Richard P. Feynman

Offline Mark wood

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2021, 10:34:16 AM »
So, I am struggling with focus today. So I took this photo of a poster I have on my wall. It has been following me around since 1986 when I talked with Sunstrand about working for them.
Life is good AMA 1488

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2021, 02:05:24 PM »
Mark: Not hijacking the thread.  Just could not post these pix on a PM.  If anybody sees anything wrong with this airfoil let me know.

ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2021, 03:12:02 PM »
Mark: Not hijacking the thread.  Just could not post these pix on a PM.  If anybody sees anything wrong with this airfoil let me know.

ken
Ken I’m not sure what kind of answer you are looking for.  Within known boundaries,  there isn’t so much a right or wrong.  We are dealing with subjective opinion more than  empirical data.  From how I am seeing your drawings it appears you have a swept forward flap hinge line-  unless the spar breaks in the center and sweeps back considerably.  In small amounts that works OK but too much might get you some trim issues.  Otherwise the high point of the tip airfoil looks quite forward.  My experience with these ‘aggressive tip’ airfoils is they generate very high lift for tight corners and lifting weight.  The downfall is they tend to stall abruptly.  It might have your nice gliding landing approach suddenly drop out of the air at 22 mph.... I’d push the high point back a little to soften the stall characteristics.  Perfect design is totally in the eye of the beholder.  There are few ways to adequately measure “improvement “.  That’s most usually a function of what score the judge writes down.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2021, 05:45:10 PM »
We tend to be focused upon Cl to the point of obsession and disregard the drag portion which steals our precious energy.

You live near Wichita.  I've flown in Wichita. It's windy.  If you look in the Classifieds section, you'll find an engine that will preserve that precious energy a lot better than some sissy electric motor. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Mark wood

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2021, 06:27:05 PM »
You live near Wichita.  I've flown in Wichita. It's windy.  If you look in the Classifieds section, you'll find an engine that will preserve that precious energy a lot better than some sissy electric motor.

Thanks for the giggle. It's not often we get less than 10. We have guys here that feel the same way about holding on to their stone hammer IC's. Sometimes I bring out a dynajet.
Life is good AMA 1488

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2021, 10:49:26 PM »
Holy flap chord length Batman!
That's enough to make Windy blush!   

Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Mark wood

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2021, 12:51:49 AM »
Holy flap chord length Batman!
That's enough to make Windy blush!   

And it's less than what I am considering. Stay tuned, I'm gonna talk about that and some other interesting stuff too. I think the right number is 40% via analysis and have a NACA report discussing 35% with an offset hinge. The conservative side of me stopped me from going there. Okay it is truly the fear of the unknown.
Life is good AMA 1488

Offline Mark wood

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2021, 08:49:53 PM »
"  Okay it is truly the fear of the unknown. "

A/. the swept hinge = ' power steering  affect ' to quote the Hunt / Werwage  comentary . Reducing control loads in wind .

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB ///////////////////...........................

A quick junk disposable foam fit 7 trow away set / s of ' TEST ' airfoil / Flaps , with maybe say a Sq. / rectangular intregal ( glued on )) saddle to

swap out / change - on a ' standard ' box or profile fuse , would get some quick answers . Easiest with ' over ' bellcrank & leadouts . might hinge but hinge would be Std. and a good comparison .
Imagine if they didnt all hinge ( throw the tip ) the same !

Some would have you believe the longitudeinal bellcrank position is irrelevant , Theyre view is the leadout exit is paramount . So this'd apply vertically too ! .  VD~

Id think a four foot span would be minimum for direct comparison to a .60 or Ro Jett ETC ship .

Poms cover P S S with brown butchers paper & thined P V A ( white Glue ) as theyre generally skinflints . Or seldom decadent . Or you used a electro wotsit nuthin id be necesary .
Ive seen a twin glow R C thing like that . BARE FOAM . disposable . hot wire cut .

Tho Two Pot , like Estapol 7008 & maybe tissue on the flaps'd ridgiditise em .

So you could try way out things & generate data dead easy . For  more grandiose builds later .

I pretty much don't follow any of what this is trying to communicate. I'm working on a project that I'm sharing my decisions on.

"Some would have you believe the longitudeinal bellcrank position is irrelevant , Theyre view is the leadout exit is paramount . So this'd apply vertically too ! .  VD~"

This is provable mathematically. It's not opinion at that point. It's fact.
Life is good AMA 1488

Offline Mark wood

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2021, 09:13:01 PM »
Just saying you could get some cheap & nasty flight test wing assemlies up & at it , dead easy . If youve a FOAM CUTTER .

These " P S S " things are aerobatic in a gale ( Radio slope soarers ) plenty of info about to purloin .
A V Light bare foam uncored test wing , to get say a dozen flights / a weekends tests on ,

or ' changeing out ' wings if youre trying varying aspects of airfoil  ( bluntness , % Chord thicness etc )

Without getting overly elaborate / expensive at the preliminary test stage .
A few of em might throw a few strips of spruce in ( spars ) or a balsa T E to take the hinges ( 1/2 Sq. or whatever )

I think you've missed the intent of this build. It's basically an engineering exercise to expand the knowledge base of control line aerobatics. It's not an effort to build a schoolyard play toy.  I have a whole pallet rack full of those. These suggestions belong someplace else.
Life is good AMA 1488

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2021, 10:16:48 PM »
And it's less than what I am considering. Stay tuned, I'm gonna talk about that and some other interesting stuff too. I think the right number is 40% via analysis and have a NACA report discussing 35% with an offset hinge. The conservative side of me stopped me from going there. Okay it is truly the fear of the unknown.

I know I have just seen a published design, [possibly while cruising Outerzone plans site,) that had at least a 50% of wing chord flap. Some time in the 60's I think. If I find the name and plan I'll post a link.  And you could probably build a Nobler with the wood used in some of the flaps on some designs that came from the Big Jim/Windy camp. They were really big also!
   HAPPY HOLIDAYS,
   Dan McEntee

AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2021, 01:02:09 PM »
Might be the Jolly Flapper from Scarinzi.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2021, 02:17:43 PM »
I think you've missed the intent of this build. It's basically an engineering exercise to expand the knowledge base of control line aerobatics. It's not an effort to build a schoolyard play toy.  I have a whole pallet rack full of those. These suggestions belong someplace else.

I can't remember what he calls them, but Bob Hunt has a construction technique that's basically CF applied to a foam core.  It's light, rigid, aerodynamically correct, quick, and as attractive as a battered old shoe.  He uses it for prototyping airframes.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Mark wood

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2021, 05:32:23 PM »
I can't remember what he calls them, but Bob Hunt has a construction technique that's basically CF applied to a foam core.  It's light, rigid, aerodynamically correct, quick, and as attractive as a battered old shoe.  He uses it for prototyping airframes.

I've chatted with him some about making a wing for me. The trouble is my divergent attention span and testing. I have restarted this thing three times. I build my F1C models in foam forms like Bob makes for PA. However this wing is going be built up. When I get the control portion and fittings done, it's short work in the CAD to slice up the wing and create the rib patterns. These will go to the laser. When done correctly it only takes a few hours to make a solid model wing, slice it in to ribs, put the rib patterns in a file, send the file to the laser, feed the laser material and glue parts together. It takes millennia to get the engineer to stop changing sit and to stop thinking up other ideas to change the sit after ya got the sit going. And that only occurs under the most perfect of conditions.
Life is good AMA 1488

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2021, 09:37:44 AM »
Might be the Jolly Flapper from Scarinzi.

Finally found it!!! You were pretty close Bob! It's the Super Plapper.  Larry was always thinking wasn't he!!??

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=13296

MERRY CHRISTMJAS!!
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Mark wood

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2021, 10:14:50 AM »
   Finally found it!!! You were pretty close Bob! It's the Super Plapper.  Larry was always thinking wasn't he!!??

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=13296

MERRY CHRISTMJAS!!
   Dan McEntee

Oh yeah, that is interesting. Thanks for sharing. I haven't time to make much of a comment but the 50% flap is likely on the other side of optimum. In a perfect world we would have a  morphing airfoil with which we could change the overall chamber. There are very great benefits of changing the chamber forward of the 25% line. For our symmetrical sections we find that moving the max thickness forward the maximum lift increases. Moving the max thickness forward is an analog of increasing the chamber forward of the 25% point. If you watch the F16 in flight you will notice it uses flaps on both the leading edge and trailing edge. Fast forward to 1:58. I have a vision of eventually trying this.

Thanks for sharing the Super Plapper. The construction method is good and when I do a next version with an even larger flap size, that spar configuration is likely going to be the result.

I have work to get done this week and haven't had time to put together a good discussion yet but I will soon.

Life is good AMA 1488

Offline Mark wood

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2021, 08:17:59 AM »
Bumps and gaps.. Done properly actually increase the lift contrary to experience. Here is he beginning of the discussion of why.

I’ve had a number of feedbacks about hinge gaps and the bumps associated with the flap nose causing troubles with the lift. This is an interesting dilemma because, if you manage them correctly, the bump in combination with a properly designed gap can actually improve the max lift of a section. Seriously, it can. As an example consider a Fowler split flap. The Fowler flap moves aft before it moves downward creating a gap. The gap then channels the higher pressure air underneath in a way such that it blows the upper surface of the flap thereby reducing the tendency of the flap surface to separate improve the Lift Effectiveness of the flap.

If you have been following some of what I have been posting, then you’ll know I have been discussing the impact of using offset hinges on surfaces to reduce hinge moments. The reason I have been discussing this is because I like discussing such things and someone was talking about how heavy the control forces are on the flapped model airplanes. As Howard often points out, the hinge moment is a function of the square of the flap chord. This is true for a flap that is hinged at the leading edge or really close for a hinge in the center of a circular LE, known as a plain flap. Moving the hinge aft of this point reduces the moment generated for two reasons. First moving the hinge aft reduces the arm the lift is working with and second the lift generated in front of the hinge creates a balancing moment. I have been using the term “Offset Hinge” to describe this as that is the typical colloquialism used with my 4/4 aerobatic friends. NACA uses the term overhanging balance.

This is nothing new and is used in all kinds of different aircraft. There are two reasons NACA began exploring the overbalance hinge because airplanes were getting bigger and faster. Think about it, the pilot of the B17 was flying the airplane directly connected to the ailerons the size of a Piper Cub wing and if that wasn’t balanced properly that C^2 thing would make it such the pilot could not physically move the surface and fly the airplane. Further the airplanes were becoming faster meaning the forces increase significantly. Since the airplanes were getting faster drag was also becoming an even more important factor.

The NACA reports are too large to post in one piece so, I am including a few select pages of a couple reports where they explored the performance of various amount of overhang and shapes of the LE nose shape. Later, I will review the elements of these reports which have lead me on this path. The lift increase of the medium nose profile, the one in my CAD model, actually increases the Cl max of the section. Keep in mind that the report is using a NACA 009 and we’re using sections more resembling the NACA 0020. However we would not expect the behavior of the flap on the parent section to really be much different. I’ll also post some photos of a Cessna Jet which uses these ideas in its aileron controls.  I have highlighted some portions of the NACA report L-355 which I consider significant.

Life is good AMA 1488

Offline Mark wood

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2021, 02:00:49 PM »
Christmas and distractions have kept me a bit away from the project. The attached photos are of a Cessna Citation CJ1 jet aileron. They area good example of the aerodynamic balance of the flaps. I'm not real certain what the balance vs flap chord percentage is but eyeball says about 25%. In the NACA documents, it is demonstrated by test that sometimes a a gap can be beneficial between the surface and the pocket. This particular application is a very good example of that in use. The basic principal is that by correctly profiling the LE of the flap and the pocket, the air "leaking" from below can be ducted in a manor that blows the surface thereby invigorating the boundary layer. As was stated in the conclusion of L-355 the ClMax also increased. There can be a penalty for this as well in an increase in drag at lower AOA of the section.

The first photo shows the aileron in the neutral position. The gap is fairly large looking and the LE of the aileron is well in to the cove. The interesting thing about the LE of the aileron is that it is not a contiguous curve but only curved in the region exposed to the wind and there's a fairly large space in front of it. Quite contrary to intuition and what we'd accept normally without understanding why it is like this and having seen the data. I will post some links to the NACA reports as they are much too large to post here, even small excerpts. For the interested they can look through the reports and see the benefits. Not all configurations work. 

The next photo shows the aileron in the downward position. Of note is how the contour of the flap has reduced the gap between the skin and the flange. This likely acts to create a jet of air which in turn invigorates the boundary layer. The flap has a maximum deflection of 20 degrees. There is a minimal bump in this configuration as result of the smaller overhang. I didn't include the longer balance horn in this photo. The bump tend tends to lower the pressure on the forward portion of the flap which helps "lift" the nose up countering the negative moment at the hinge, which aids in reducing the hinge moment.

The third photo shows the balance horn which is projecting out of the wing. In previous discussions I have mentioned "un-porting", this is an example of what I mean by that. This horn is un-ported. The nose rises above the wing surface which causes the airflow to bend down under the LE raising the lower surface pressure and the upper surface of the horn see an even greater pressure reduction. The result of this can be a positive hinge moment which causes a divergent moment and what I have referred to as snatching.

Within the test data there are plots of hinge moment and any time that moment is non zero or positive the surface is subject to snatching. For a meat servo we want the control moment to have some basic characteristics which are not always fully achievable simultaneously. We want the control forces to be as light as possible. Heavy control forces limit the speed at which we can apply full deflection and cause stretch in the control cables but reducing the precision of the input. We want the control force to have a positive gradient from neutral to maximum, always increasing, for feedback. I don't know if that gradient has to be linear but definitely always positive. It is a little unnerving to be deflecting the control and then at a point it wants to pull from your hand. For a CL airplane that is probably unrecoverable. And we want the control to have good centering for both the feedback of center and for stick free stability of the airplane.

Life is good AMA 1488

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2021, 02:58:41 PM »
  Just gonna ask this while it's fresh in my mind before I forget again. Have you read anything on the model designed by Wesley Dick, called the Velvet? Wes designed a double slat Fowler type flap for it that while I have not seen it in flight, I understand that it works quite well.  Search on the model name and there is some stuff here on the list but Wes wrote some articles on the flap design for the PAMPA publication Stunt News. I think it has some bearing on what you are working on here, maybe??
   HAPPY NEW YEAR!
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2021, 03:18:26 PM »
... In the NACA documents, it is demonstrated by test that sometimes a a gap can be beneficial between the surface and the pocket. This particular application is a very good example of that in use. The basic principal is that by correctly profiling the LE of the flap and the pocket, the air "leaking" from below can be ducted in a manor that blows the surface thereby invigorating the boundary layer. ...

So, yes, but.  I haven't seen a picture of a slotted flap that wasn't wildly asymmetrical from top to bottom.  Granted, I also haven't seen any where the LE of the flap rises above the surface, but if you need that asymmetry to get the "blown" effect then you lose any utility for control line stunt.

I'm not sure if a mere mortal could choke useful answers out of a computational fluid dynamics program to know if a symmetrical blown flap would work, but it may be hard to find a solution without that, and possibly some wind-tunnel testing.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Mark wood

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2021, 03:26:34 PM »
So, yes, but.  I haven't seen a picture of a slotted flap that wasn't wildly asymmetrical from top to bottom.  Granted, I also haven't seen any where the LE of the flap rises above the surface, but if you need that asymmetry to get the "blown" effect then you lose any utility for control line stunt.

I'm not sure if a mere mortal could choke useful answers out of a computational fluid dynamics program to know if a symmetrical blown flap would work, but it may be hard to find a solution without that, and possibly some wind-tunnel testing.

It would take having read the previous post, opened the attachment and looked at the test articles to understand what I am discussing here. They are all very pertinent to the configuration of the wing I have modeled. I have the correct CFD software but it isn't necessary. This is all based on wind tunnel testing completed in 1939-1944.

The NACA reports pertinent to this particular effort are L-301 Small Aerodynamic Balance, L-355 Medium Aerodynamic Balance and L-380 Large Aerodynamic Balance. In all three of these test series the flap tested was 30% of the overall chord, they varied the distance of the hinge from the LE of the flap section and varied the gap between the flap LE and wing.

L-301
https://ntrs.nasa.gov/api/citations/19930092878/downloads/19930092878.pdf

L-355
https://ntrs.nasa.gov/api/citations/19930092880/downloads/19930092880.pdf

L-380
https://ntrs.nasa.gov/api/citations/19930092876/downloads/19930092876.pdf

Look at the diagram of the test model. Notice the filler block along the LE. This is how they changed the gap. Then look at the filler block on my CAD model. It performs exactly the same way. 
« Last Edit: December 27, 2021, 04:47:12 PM by Mark wood »
Life is good AMA 1488

Offline Mark wood

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2021, 04:41:41 PM »
  Just gonna ask this while it's fresh in my mind before I forget again. Have you read anything on the model designed by Wesley Dick, called the Velvet? Wes designed a double slat Fowler type flap for it that while I have not seen it in flight, I understand that it works quite well.  Search on the model name and there is some stuff here on the list but Wes wrote some articles on the flap design for the PAMPA publication Stunt News. I think it has some bearing on what you are working on here, maybe??
   HAPPY NEW YEAR!
   Dan McEntee

Thanks Dan

Yes I have seen that airplane and I find it interesting for sure. The thing is though is that they are also very draggy not to mention complicated. As I said that I look at my monstrosity on linkages and think to myself, yeah right.... I plan to talk to those decisions along the way as well. The luffing bar bellcrank is there to help with centering which, if the flaps hinge moments get low enough will be necessary.

I'm not saying there isn't a drag penalty using the lower deflection larger flaps with the overhang balance, there is. The drag penalty of the balancing offset I calculated to be less than the drag improvement using larger flaps. One thing I know people don't realize is that past certain point landing flaps don't really improve the landing distance of approach speed but increase the steepness of the glide slope. Obstacle clearance. That deflection angle is 15-20 degrees. Beyond that the lift effectiveness reduces with angle and drag increases more greatly. This is the current state of the art in CLPA with some exceptions. In some discussions, I have presented analysis' showing the reduction in drag potential using the larger flap.

The penalty of large flaps manifests itself in hinge moment. Control forces. Greater line tension required to operate. Bigger impact of stretchiness on the wires. These are all of the reasons you may have seen the spade videos and the discussion of offset hinges and the implementation here. Having large control forces is not an asset and takes away from the benefit of reduced drag.  So, this effort is to put it to the test and see.

The spade video is a relative test which is basically the equivalent of moving the hinge back 8% in the flap chord. This wing has the hinge line at about 23% of the flap MAC. I did this for ease of construction such that the hinges can all be the same part. The Cessna jet is the same way. The result of this is that he flap hinge moment should be very low but always negative. Moving the hinge line further aft will reduce that and in accordance with the reports some place past 30% back some sign reversals may occur.

This wing is provisioned to be able to make new flaps with larger overhang. This is the primary reason the log crank has the intermediary lever and links. Moving the hinge line forward and aft would required major alteration otherwise.
Life is good AMA 1488

Offline Mark wood

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2021, 11:37:02 PM »
In another thread some flight data was presented which turns out to be yet another substantiation of what I suggested early in this thread. In that dialog I brought up a couple of points about the pitch angle of the fuselage with respect to the flight pass trajectory and my observed experience. The design  I am working on is intended to correct the difference in flight path and fuselage angle which is essentially the AOA of the wing since the wing is set in at 0 incidence.  I have previously discussed how much flap is required to reach the levels lift required to fly the airplane around the corner with the fuselage tangent to flight path. In the ideal world these two are the same throughout the maneuver envelope.

There is this begging question about why I am so focused on this seemingly minor attribute. It has to do with how we interact with the aircraft. In the full size world we look outside of the airplane and feed references on the ground or horizon which we can drive the nose to. Also some airplanes present better than others due to their configuration. With the CLPA or RC pattern model everything is done visually with reference to the fuselage and wings externally. The trouble is that the trajectory can be different significantly from the fuselage attitude some times with the average flapped model as much as 10-15 degrees. For maneuvers like the squares and triangles I calculated that Angle Of Attack to be around 5 degrees. This means the fuselage is pointed 5 degrees away from the trajectory.

The result of this difference is that once the exit of the corner is reached that AOA has to be relieved. The nose must be returned to the trajectory. This means that the pilot must learn to anticipate the exit. For instance, when a square loop is flown if the pilot flies the airplane around the corner and neutralizes the controls when the fuselage is through 90 degrees the trajectory will be 4-5 degrees off. The airplane turned 90 degrees but the resulting trajectory only changed 85-86 degrees. So, the pilot must consistently fly through the 90 degree attitude change by 5 degrees and then at the right time reverse the pitch rate and slew the nose back 5 degrees to the trajectory. For a non flapped airplane the angle is greater.

Howard posted some flight data which I traced the pitch rate. He is obviously a very good pilot and my intent here is of no criticism but entirely of showing that the data is yet another confirmation of my previous discussion. The maneuver is the triangle loops. The pitch rate is a direct function of the elevator position so above the zero line is up elevator and below is down. The blues line is the pitch rate as flown. I added a green line to show the "ideal" pitch rate. In both maneuvers you can see that on second half of the corner the pitch rate is decreasing meaning the elevator is moving towards neutral which can be considered the zero line. The pitch rate continues through zero to a smallish negative value and then returns a near zero position. This is AOA relief thing I am talking about. In data. Consistently. Additionally there are couple bouts with oscillation. Those are likely the result of missing the trajectory and correcting best a can be done.  I can't fly that well.

See my previous discussion on flaps and flap sizes. Ultimately this AOA relief problem can only be accomplished by having enough lift generated by the curvature of the airfoil such that the fuselage tracks tangently. There may be other option to correct this such as leading edge flaps. Yeah, those are in my mind too but not until a dozen other ideas are finished.

I am currently working on getting a flight data system working. That will take me a little while as I'm not the best code guy.

Life is good AMA 1488

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2021, 06:51:23 AM »
The result of this difference is that once the exit of the corner is reached that AOA has to be relieved. The nose must be returned to the trajectory. This means that the pilot must learn to anticipate the exit. For instance, when a square loop is flown if the pilot flies the airplane around the corner and neutralizes the controls when the fuselage is through 90 degrees the trajectory will be 4-5 degrees off. The airplane turned 90 degrees but the resulting trajectory only changed 85-86 degrees. So, the pilot must consistently fly through the 90 degree attitude change by 5 degrees and then at the right time reverse the pitch rate and slew the nose back 5 degrees to the trajectory. For a non flapped airplane the angle is greater.
You are moving into the one area of this discussion that I have the most interest in.  "Locking" as we call it is something that I have never had explained before.  As I was moving up many moons ago, I was told that I needed to lock out of corners, never how do you do it but always that I needed to do it.  Eventually my subconscious figured it out, but it won't tell me how.
I have never liked a plane, especially as a judge, that did not appear (focus on appear) to fly corners tangent to the radius.  It has always been a trim must with me to get my planes to do it.  Some just don't want to.  If there is something in the design that can help insure this, I am all ears.  I hope you find it and pass on how to implement it.

One hint that you may be on to something comes from my own transition from standard flaps to logarithmic.   The way the plane behaves in a corner is very different.    I am going to have to retrain my subconscious, but it has yet to tell me how it learned to lock out of corners at 5' in the first place, it just does it.  Now it wants to do it at about 8'.  This, by the way is a good thing.  Corners are tighter, smoother and more consistent inside/out, it is just that the bottoms are in the ozone.  Funny thing the subconscious.  It figured out the angles in three flights.  First one the squares looked like the motor mount that comes with electrics.  By the third pattern the "turn and lock" reflex was back.  I may not be the one to explain the "why", but I will understand it when presented.  I would be very interested in the experiences of others that have made the transition to logarithmic, but not here, in fact most of this post really belongs elsewhere. 

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Mark wood

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2021, 07:36:39 AM »
You are moving into the one area of this discussion that I have the most interest in.  "Locking" as we call it is something that I have never had explained before.  As I was moving up many moons ago, I was told that I needed to lock out of corners, never how do you do it but always that I needed to do it.  Eventually my subconscious figured it out, but it won't tell me how.
I have never liked a plane, especially as a judge, that did not appear (focus on appear) to fly corners tangent to the radius.  It has always been a trim must with me to get my planes to do it.  Some just don't want to.  If there is something in the design that can help insure this, I am all ears.  I hope you find it and pass on how to implement it.

One hint that you may be on to something comes from my own transition from standard flaps to logarithmic.   The way the plane behaves in a corner is very different.    I am going to have to retrain my subconscious, but it has yet to tell me how it learned to lock out of corners at 5' in the first place, it just does it.  Now it wants to do it at about 8'.  This, by the way is a good thing.  Corners are tighter, smoother and more consistent inside/out, it is just that the bottoms are in the ozone.  Funny thing the subconscious.  It figured out the angles in three flights.  First one the squares looked like the motor mount that comes with electrics.  By the third pattern the "turn and lock" reflex was back.  I may not be the one to explain the "why", but I will understand it when presented.  I would be very interested in the experiences of others that have made the transition to logarithmic, but not here, in fact most of this post really belongs elsewhere. 

Ken

It's interesting that you say this; "If there is something in the design that can help insure this, I am all ears." as that is the fundamental element of the design I working here. I appreciate that feedback as it tells me, I haven't communicated clearly what my intent is. Bottom line is that an airplane with less than about 35% flaps isn't going to make that tangential corner without making lots of drag and decelerating significantly. A little less than 30% flaps and it won't do it at all. I am implementing logarithmic flap control specifically to limit the flap travel to the near optimum position. I've actually been saying this for the better part of my attendance here on SH. It isn't received very well as I'm not a known quantity within the "ranks" of CLPA pilots. My credentials as a aero modeler for 59 years including flying loads of RC pattern and 40 something years of flying 4/4  aerobatics bring nothing to CLPA. Not, at least, without demonstrating those skills, understandably. That takes time and exposure. 

The reality is that the significant amount of exposure to other disciplines provide many insights to dynamics that would not be gained otherwise and those whom haven't that background wouldn't have the basis of understanding. This is the fundamental tenant of what I started this dialog for. While this airplane is, in fact, intended as a CLPA airplane, my lead in premise is that is is not a CLPA aircraft but merely an exploration in to some development ideas. I get told all the time, we have done that before, you should just take an existing model from a well known champion and copy it with some modifications to make it your own... With that I'd probably just build Gid Adkissons Laser. My pilot skills are not such that I'll ever be able to compete on a high level. Age is catching me in a hurry, I'll be happy to be able to fly anything in a couple years.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 07:57:58 AM by Mark wood »
Life is good AMA 1488

Offline Mark wood

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2022, 07:54:24 AM »
I have spent a few days working on several related efforts one of which is a flight data recording package. I'm still trying to sort out the file writing on that but there's progress. I also spent some time working on my variation on a rudder kicker. Having looked at what Al Rabe and Keith Trostle have done and watching my fuse cam videos, I came up with a variation. I like things to be trimmable or adjustable readily. From my fuse cam, I noticed that in outside maneuvers the nose turned quite a bit inside and a bit but not as much with inside maneuvers. I want something easier to adjust. Al's solution is good but it does the wrong thing with up elevator. Keith's is really nice too but it requires making a new cam although it has a super advantage of being hidden.

My approach is not necessarily an easy integration. Read not for the faint of heart. The system is based upon a cable pull, pull operation. Someplace in the control linkage a bellcrank is required to connect a couple small cables to. Like a piece of  lines from a kinked set as a donor. A bellcrank connected in to the elevator pushrod or elsewhere will provide a place to drive the cables. With an up or down input one cable will be pulling and the other will be allowed to become slack. Both cables will be connected to an independent kicker. Each kickers travel will be limited by a stop screw. A small spring will be in each cable to allow the over travel of the bellcrank to be absorbed. The spring will likely be a simple Z bend in a .021 piece of music wire. I've used this in many applications and it works well. The rudder itself will have a torsion bar spring to hold it in place when the kicker bars are not pull it to the stop screw. The neutral position is also configured with a set screw for trim purposes.

For my airplane project, the addition of a bellcrank within the control system is natural as there are two places I can effect this. First the flap drive already has a convenient two sided lever on which the cables can be attached. However, one side of the flap drive lever is intended to drive a position sensor for operation of my timer motor control. The sensor can easily double duty as the driver of the cables. A gutted servo is the most likely initial sensor for flight testing because I can retrofit my current airplane. In this project, I plan on making a ball bearing supported rotary hall effect position sensor. I haven't yet modeled the sensor installation and I'm not sure how much I will model as it takes a bucket load of time. It took me a bunch of hours to design the tail mechanism.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 08:26:31 AM by Mark wood »
Life is good AMA 1488

Online Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2022, 10:20:59 AM »

Al's solution is good but it does the wrong thing with up elevator.

Actually, there is a way with Al's approach to get additional right rudder for both up and down elevator.  It is awkward and has limited ability to move the rudder right on up elevator and and allows for little adjustment.  The pivot point for the pushrod to the elevator horn is inside the elevator airfoil.  Make up a mock up or drawing with the elevator cross section, rotate the elevator on its hinges and there are positions that will give the desired rudder travel.  Very difficult, if not impossible to change or adjust for different rudder travel.  I have seen this several times where the pilot found the geometry to give the desired rudder deflections, but the installation of the pushrod in the elevator section was essentially permanent.

Mark, my only comment on what you have done here is WOW!!.

Keith

Offline Mark wood

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2022, 10:54:28 AM »
Actually, there is a way with Al's approach to get additional right rudder for both up and down elevator.  It is awkward and has limited ability to move the rudder right on up elevator and and allows for little adjustment.  The pivot point for the pushrod to the elevator horn is inside the elevator airfoil.  Make up a mock up or drawing with the elevator cross section, rotate the elevator on its hinges and there are positions that will give the desired rudder travel.  Very difficult, if not impossible to change or adjust for different rudder travel.  I have seen this several times where the pilot found the geometry to give the desired rudder deflections, but the installation of the pushrod in the elevator section was essentially permanent.

Mark, my only comment on what you have done here is WOW!!.

Keith

Thank you Keith

I stand corrected. You had previously told me about Al's rudder variations and it slipped my mind. The difficulty in making trim changes in the current set of systems was what caused me to create this thing. This thing is a variation of the rudder activator I design for circle tow gliders back in the 70's. It took me a long time of thinking about it to make the modification to make it work for the CL model.

The attached photo is of my circle tow system some here may recognize. One of the original hand cut from aluminum version was in the box, it's the one on the right.
Life is good AMA 1488

Offline Mark wood

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2022, 11:40:54 AM »
Your gadget-idea reminds me more of old mechanical wing wigglers than a towhook, Mark😂.
I like the idea of Keiths follower/cam, but I’m not a big fan of a sliding cam. I kept simplifying and reducing my first idea, untill it occured to me that why not install the cam directly at the bellcrank rotation axis? Then a separate T-crank with long arm following the groove in cam, and pull-pull cables to rudder. And by altering the distance of them cables in front T-crank, I can adjust the magnitude of rudder movement, without touching the trend.
There is not much forces in the system, so cams can be easily printed, or machined from Delrin or POM.
The only complication in cam design, compared to Keith’s that I must translate polar cordinates into rudder movement, but that’s not a big deal. L

You must remember the vintage, early 70's when circle tow was in it's infancy. The spring plunger device was not yet invented. The plate pivots to pull on the line to the rudder bar. Another line goes to the middle bar which is retained by a pin. Some of the later devices used my ruder tiller.  I'm not certain how it looks to be a wing wiggler but the tail piece kicker in the CL design is very similar to one I used in F1C models. Same idea.
Life is good AMA 1488

Offline Mark wood

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2022, 12:10:51 PM »
Thank god I wasn’t born in early 70’s🦤. I did start with mechanic stuff but it was about to end soon. L

I ended flying TL gliders about 10 years ago maybe a bit more just as the electronic version were coming to be. I have a couple of the electronic F1C timer systems but never made the operational transition. About the same time I was building a geared engine. A life event caused me to have to drop those efforts.
Life is good AMA 1488

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here