News:

• May 14, 2024, 11:49:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Need To Pick Some Brains  (Read 1470 times)

larry borden

• Trade Count: (0)
Need To Pick Some Brains
« on: January 03, 2012, 04:53:37 PM »
Back about a bazillion years ago, when I first flew control line, there was a stunter that came out in one of the magazines. It was loosely based on a full scale pylon racer, not a Shoestring. If I remember correctly and that's a stretch, it had a Nobler like wing. I can not remember what the name of this plane was or which magazine it was in.
Anyone remember this one?

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: Need To Pick Some Brains
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 05:01:30 PM »
Larry, wow really?
LOL
there have been a bazillion based on those thoughts
any more info? I think I remember a T tailed stunter based on an F-1 race plane,, maybe called the eagle,, maybe Norm Whittle? But then I am not all that up on really old stuff,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Terrence Durrill

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 05:07:12 PM »
Sounds like it might be the BONZO.    y1    D>K    H^^

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 05:16:41 PM »
Yep, there was a Bonzo (AAM?  Can't remember which issue) -- also Jack Sheeks' T-tail Rivets.  Ty Marcucci built one of the latter.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 05:28:56 PM »
Hi Brother Larry,

I think the Bonzo is what you are recalling.  I have the magazine and IIRC it had a very much Nobler type airfoil.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Joseph Lijoi

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 07:22:31 PM »
That Bonzo was almost scale and had a straight wing, not very "loose".  Designed by Paul Plecan and was in American Modeler 11/64.  Maybe a Tucker Special?  Not a pylon racer but a racer.

Online afml

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 07:25:51 PM »
Almost sounds like the Midget Mustang from long ago.....

"Tight Lines!"  H^^

Wes
Wes Eakin

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 08:25:25 PM »
Where's Trostle when we need him!  :)
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline Larry Lindburg

• Commander
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 10:02:49 PM »
Could it be Miss DARA by Dennis Duvall probably around 1974 in Flying Models?
AMA 95707

Offline rob biddle

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 11:08:43 PM »
 Hi Larry,

Claus Maikis (sp?) designed a model (in the early 70's I think) called "Loriot".

It was roughly Nobler sized with a wing of similar thickness and proportions, sidewinder fox .35 hidden inside neat looking cheek cowls.

Very much based on f1 racer style aircraft. It was published in Aero Modeller. Cool plane.

Cheers, Rob..
Robert Biddle

Online Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 01:46:52 AM »
As already mentioned, there have been a few stunters published that could be loosely called semiscale Goodyear racers.

Paul Placan did the Bonzo that is probably closest to scale of any of these.  At least, it really captured the appearance of the Bonzo.   Lucky Pyatt built one and had it at the Nats around 1999 or 2000.  American Modeler, Nov/Dec 64.

Jack Sheeks named a model the Knight that resembled the Rivets with the appearance of the T-tail like the full scale Rivets. It gave the appearance, but in actuality,  the horizontal tail was not any more above the thrust line than most stunters.  This was an I-beamer.  FM Jun 69.

One of the more attractive of these was the Miss Dara that Jim Vornholt published.  FM, Dec 73.  I believe he had some success with it at the time and was flown at least at one Nats. 

Allen Brickhaus also did a Miss Dara, but was a profile,  FM May 83.  Nice looking profile.  The Miss Dara was/is one of the better looking midget racers.

Allen also did a profile Folkerts SK-4 in Profile.  MAN Aug 79.  Another nice looking Profile from the Brickhaus design studios.

When I read the description by Larry Borden above, my first impression was that he remembered the Midget Mustang by Englishman Tom Jolley, MAN, Oct 68.   Wing mounted gear, though with a fairly narrow tread.   The wing was sheeted and looks similar to a Nobler and mounted slightly below the thrust line rather than being a low wing like the original Midget Mustang.  No dihedral.  About a 54 "span.  Really did a good job of capturing the looks of the Midget Mustang, even with the mid wing position and had the typical stunt ship skinny fuselage.  Merco 35.  Plans are available from the AMA plans service.

Keith

Offline louie klein

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 06:06:57 AM »
Hi Larry, I just happen to have a copy of the build article for the "Miss Dara" in my hand. Flying Models, Dec. 1973, 75 cents., 6 pages. It has got to be the one you are thinking of. I also have the plans I bought in '88. I do have the build article and the plans for the "BONZO", but IMO "Miss Dara" is more scale like. Both are on my bucket list. I got a Sig Magnum kit and I found an old folder in my shop with 3 build stories about it when Sig introduced it and how to make some improvements to the kit, this is how I happen to come across the other stuff. Amazing what you stuff away and forget about! If you are near a Fax machine PM me a # or an address and I will send it out.----LOUIE  H^^ D>K

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here