News:

• May 10, 2024, 06:05:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Need Expert Advice  (Read 789 times)

Offline Keith Spriggs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
    • khspriggs
Need Expert Advice
« on: November 24, 2006, 06:08:32 PM »
When I quit flying UC some 35 years ago almost everyone used an E-Z-Just handle. When I went to my first contest as a spectator I noticed that it seemed that everyone had a handle made of wood and aluminum. I finally got a close look at one. A friend of mine who is also on expert woodworker is also just getting back into CL flying . Since I do a little metalworking it was only natural that we would decide to make our own handles.

I got one done today and I am posting a few pictures of it. Here is some information on it. Line spacing from 4 1/4 inches to 1 1/2 inches Cables project 4 1/4 from the aluminum bar. The cable that was locally available is 1/16 inch 96# test 7-7 stanless steel. There are copper crimps under the heat shrink tubing, They are 1/2 inch long. You will notice that I made the bar so it would tilt. Is this necessary or desirable? Should I drill a hole through the handle to attach the safety thong or just use a cord with a loop in each end and just put it around the handle. I am buying some smaller cable that is stainless 7-7 with a 200 # breaking strength it is .050 diameter. Comments and suggestions please as I have never used one of these handles.

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Need Expert Advice
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 06:37:29 PM »
It looks to me like you got it right Keith. A whole for  lanyard would be good.
Frank Carlisle

Offline Windwalker

• Lieutenant
Re: Need Expert Advice
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 06:59:08 PM »
Not much different from the one I used Years (and years) ago..

Nick Gans
Nick Gans aka
Windwalker

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here