News:

• May 05, 2024, 12:18:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Nats Coverage  (Read 42035 times)

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Nats Coverage
« on: July 14, 2012, 09:34:15 PM »
Thought I'd start a thread for Nats Coverage. Hope someone will post something to let us schlubs know what's going on.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
Re: Nats Coverage
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 09:54:55 PM »
have taken many pictures and tomorrow when I change rooms I hope to have a better internet connection I will post some info. Cant do it now.
AMA 12366

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 01:09:41 AM »
 Great idea here Randy. Hopefully Sparky and the others that are there will keep us in the loop. And don't forget the photos! ;D
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 07:06:10 AM »
Ryan Young is going to give me updates when he can, so I'll try to update this based on what Ryan has told me during the NATS.

Good luck everybody! H^^
Matt Colan

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 10:17:40 AM »
Great idea Randy. Us cats who can't make it, are still hungry for the 411. Looking to make 2013. Of special interest to you, I got to develop cad nesting capability for my design.
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 11:25:38 AM »
Windy today but lots of flying going on...

Derek

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 12:06:08 PM »
First few days of scale.
AMA 12366

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 12:11:14 PM »
And the aftermath
AMA 12366

Offline Gene O'Keefe

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 12:35:47 PM »
Ouch !!! That "was" a very nice model (still, it is rebuildable)
Gene O'Keefe
AMA 28386

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 01:35:02 PM »
I got five flights in this morning and getting ready to go again right now.  Still waiting for a Howard sighting.  Last word was that he is at his sister's house near Indy. finishing his new model.
Mike

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 01:40:47 PM »
Oh man, that hurts. Beautiful model and a shame.

Mike, stay out of the pavement. You're new ship is too cool to splat.

Hope Howard can get it done.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2012, 01:51:54 PM »
That is a shame.   Hope the rest fair better as well as the stunt grunts.  H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2012, 02:23:03 PM »
FYI: I posted a bunch of pix of the Scale birds over in that Forum.  Saw the aftermath of the B-17 & a Beechcraft that came to grief, did not have the heart to shoot them.  RIP.

Tried to take some in-flight shots, let's just say my appreciation for the shots Elwyn takes continues to skyrocket!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2012, 02:42:31 PM »
FYI: I posted a bunch of pix of the Scale birds over in that Forum.  Saw the aftermath of the B-17 & a Beechcraft that came to grief, did not have the heart to shoot them.  RIP.

Tried to take some in-flight shots, let's just say my appreciation for the shots Elwyn takes continues to skyrocket!

I am not quite to Elwyn's standards but two tricks are to pre-focus/manual focus, and to pan for almost the entire lap ahead of time, hit the button as you are approaching the focused zone. . And have a very big SD card.

Brett

Offline Robert Redmon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2012, 02:49:43 PM »
Elwyn told me that his secret was to take MANY, MANY pictures. I have observed that to be true, but I am also certain that there is much more to it than that. He is a genuine artist. Whatever it is, my hat is off to him. I hope he was able to travel to Muncie this year. His pictorial essays almost make up for not being there.

Bob
Robert Redmon
AMA 58073

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2012, 04:18:21 PM »
My Point & Shoot has a disturbing delay between pushing the shutter & capturing the image.  Used fixed focus and "half pushed" shutter which is supposed to also lock the metering - but not much help.  I also tried shooting the moving airplane AND catching the pilot in the background which is beyond both mine and my camera's capability except for accidents!  A lot of electrons died for nothing...!  I have not explored other manual modes that might work better.
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2012, 04:49:26 PM »
My Point & Shoot has a disturbing delay between pushing the shutter & capturing the image.  Used fixed focus and "half pushed" shutter which is supposed to also lock the metering - but not much help.  I also tried shooting the moving airplane AND catching the pilot in the background which is beyond both mine and my camera's capability except for accidents!  A lot of electrons died for nothing...!  I have not explored other manual modes that might work better.

Try this - pre-focus, pan, but push the button without checking the viewfinder. Just hit it when the airplane seem to be in the right spot. A huge problem with point-and-shoots is not usually the lag in the shutter, but the lag in the viewing screen. I finally figured this out with my old Nikon point-and-shoot.

That being said, you help yourself immensely with an SLR, even the least expensive it plenty good enough for what we need.

Brett

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2012, 05:02:28 PM »
Ouch !!! That "was" a very nice model (still, it is rebuildable)

NATs News said he also crashed a C-124!  That's a rough NATs, the most airplanes I have ever crashed at a single NATS is one. Or, actually, the same one, twice.

Brett

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2012, 06:21:13 PM »
Still windy...

Derek

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2012, 06:25:36 PM »
Im following Derek's Live twitter feed.

#DBAZ @Nats Muncie # 2 windy Buffing Matrix for 3rd time 2day - Beer soon.

Note : Actual feed may vary..
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 07:59:11 PM by PJ Rowland »
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Dennis Holler

• Commander
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2012, 07:19:31 PM »
Man, that's rough, losing two beautiful planes like that, but it sounds like the wind did not make life easy for anyone. 
I've started plenty...would be nice to finish something!!!

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2012, 07:29:19 PM »
    Try this - pre-focus, pan, but push the button without checking the viewfinder. Just hit it when the airplane seem to be in the right spot. A huge problem with point-and-shoots is not usually the lag in the shutter, but the lag in the viewing screen. I finally figured this out with my old Nikon point-and-shoot.

That being said, you help yourself immensely with an SLR, even the least expensive it plenty good enough for what we need.

Brett

That's pretty much how I got the shot of Allen Goff & his Ryan STA & Charlie Bauer & his C-337.  I used the viewfinder to make sure the pilot was there then held still watched the airplane, "guessed" at the delayed reaction then fired & prayed!  Zoom was way off though so everything is too far away.

I used to have a Nikon D-70(?) that I used for taking the girls dance performances, but got rid of it cuz it was more than I wanted to lug around on vacay & such.  I am not that into photography anyway...

I am using a 5 yo Kodak that does not even have image stabilization!  (steampunk digital???)
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Gene Martine

• 2019 supporter
  • Commander
  • Started flying 1952 (AMA 2903)
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2012, 07:35:27 PM »
testing

« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 09:42:32 AM by Robert Storick »

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2012, 07:43:14 PM »
testing

[/img]

Have 60% of a basketball team right there!  Or maybe, in this case, more like 30%.

Brett

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2012, 07:45:33 PM »
Howard is in the house!  He had to make a vertical CG shift (up).  That was the reason for the delay at his sister's house. Well, maybe he time to visit also.  When I left the field it looked like it was doing well.  Plenty of help, Paul W and Don McClave.  I put up one more flight and decided Derek had the right idea.  Beer. y1
Mike

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2012, 08:09:54 PM »

Dennis,

Some cameras have a "burst mode" which takes several shots like a machine gun. The hope is that one or more in the "burst" is a good one. Try that if yours has the capability. Also, some cameras have a "sports" mode which tries to compensate somewhat for moving activities.

Anyhow, keep the still shots coming.  y1
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2012, 09:02:37 PM »
Dennis,

Some cameras have a "burst mode" which takes several shots like a machine gun. The hope is that one or more in the "burst" is a good one. Try that if yours has the capability. Also, some cameras have a "sports" mode which tries to compensate somewhat for moving activities.

Anyhow, keep the still shots coming.  y1

GREAT suggestion, especially for the in-flights.  Unfortunately I was only up for the day on Saturday, the job search resumes on Monday...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2012, 09:58:22 PM »
Howard is in the house!  He had to make a vertical CG shift (up).  That was the reason for the delay at his sister's house. Well, maybe he time to visit also.  When I left the field it looked like it was doing well.  Plenty of help, Paul W and Don McClave.  I put up one more flight and decided Derek had the right idea.  Beer. y1

"I have respect for beer"-Russell Crowe

Derek

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2012, 10:57:02 PM »
I made it to the Naturals.  I set out Tuesday morning at 10 AM.  It was 59F and foggy in Bellevue (figure 1). I got to the Walker Stunt Ranch Tuesday afternoon and flew a little stunt.  Mr. Walker (figure 2, atop his steed) helped with trimming, which is like having Franz Liszt help tune your piano.  I departed Wednesday, although the dog was still a bit woozy toward the top of the circle.  I received a phone call in Iowa from the aforementioned (not Liszt) advising me to raise my battery: the CG is too low. I stopped at a funky and wonderful hobby shop in Champaign, Illinois for supplies and upon arrival at my sister's house in Indianapolis commandeered her dining room table and commenced battery raising and cooling air reducting .  The new ducting must be good: it blows the cowl off.  Flew a little stunt this evening in Muncie.  The dog will be fine if I can keep the cowl on.  

I saw a few folks, and I'm looking forward to seeing more tomorrow and looking at the pretty airplanes.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2012, 11:08:45 PM »
Good news Howard, seem's everyone is arriving safely.

If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2012, 09:18:24 AM »
Can't say enough about how these Nats reports mean. The anticpation almost drives me nuts, having to wait during the day for the nightly reports. Thanks to all of you who keep us up to date!
AMA 7544

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2012, 09:25:13 AM »
I think Paul needs a bigger tractor ... and a bigger hat.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2012, 10:03:06 AM »
I went over to the beginners contest and took pictures. I have pictures of combat people from what you can see. I will take some pictures of speed. Problem is the hotels connection is so slow I can not download them. SO I will report and post pictures when I get home. If there are any others here at the NATS who can post pics, please do so. 2:30 at building 180 is the beauty show today.
AMA 12366

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2012, 10:10:13 AM »
Don't forget the AMA has the daily reports on the AMA site.  Of course it doesn't  compare to what we see here on the forum. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2012, 11:57:28 AM »
I made it to the Naturals.  I set out Tuesday morning at 10 AM.  It was 59F and foggy in Bellevue (figure 1). I got to the Walker Stunt Ranch Tuesday afternoon and flew a little stunt.  Mr. Walker (figure 2, atop his steed) helped with trimming, which is like having Franz Liszt help tune your piano.

Knock-em dead Howard. Bust out a few rhymes for me at the L pad.
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Elwyn Aud

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Inferalandings Photo Page
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2012, 03:24:29 PM »
Elwyn told me that his secret was to take MANY, MANY pictures. I have observed that to be true, but I am also certain that there is much more to it than that. He is a genuine artist. Whatever it is, my hat is off to him. I hope he was able to travel to Muncie this year. His pictorial essays almost make up for not being there.

Bob
I appreciate all the kind words. Didn't go to the Nats. Still setting at home editing pics from Brodaks. Usually I'm on the road to Oshkosh this time of year but will have to pass this time. The person I usually go with decided to spend his vacation in Paris this year. Speaking of photos, one thing that always seems to jump out at me when Brett posts any photos is the super crisp focus his pics always have. I wish mine were that sharp!

Offline Les McDonald

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • " The Jelly Man"
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2012, 03:43:49 PM »
I appreciate all the kind words. Didn't go to the Nats. Still setting at home editing pics from Brodaks. Usually I'm on the road to Oshkosh this time of year but will have to pass this time. The person I usually go with decided to spend his vacation in Paris this year. Speaking of photos, one thing that always seems to jump out at me when Brett posts any photos is the super crisp focus his pics always have. I wish mine were that sharp!

Oh yeah, and BB King wishes he could play the guitar like Brett!
I see people my age out there climbing mountains and zip lining and here I am feeling good about myself because I got my leg through my underwear without losing my balance

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2012, 03:49:22 PM »
I wish I could play the guitar like BB King, or Albert King for that matter.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2012, 04:01:58 PM »
I got an update from Ryan. About 5 planes that got 19 points, no 20 pointers.  He sent me a picture of the front row and I saw Robert's P-47, Kaz's Hellcat, I think kenny Stevens SV-22 (it was hard to tell because there were quite a few people around it) and there was also what looked like a zero and Howards impact but I'm not sure who's those are. Derek's plane was also 19

Ryan also sent me a picture of Paul Winter's beautiful airplane painted like it was in space and looks like it got 18 points.

Looks like the Concours will be really tough to choose!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 05:23:09 PM by Matt Colan »
Matt Colan

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2012, 04:20:57 PM »
I met Albert King. We had a good talk. Yes, I do try to play like him. 
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2012, 05:41:24 PM »
Wish someone would post a pic of Howard's electrodog. I haven't seen it yet.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Doug Knoyle

• Lieutenant
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2012, 06:01:14 PM »
I got an update from Ryan. About 5 planes that got 19 points, no 20 pointers.  He sent me a picture of the front row and I saw Robert's P-47, Kaz's Hellcat, I think kenny Stevens SV-22 (it was hard to tell because there were quite a few people around it) and there was also what looked like a zero and Howards impact but I'm not sure who's those are. Derek's plane was also 19

Ryan also sent me a picture of Paul Winter's beautiful airplane painted like it was in space and looks like it got 18 points.

Looks like the Concours will be really tough to choose!

Can you post 'em here?  Perdy pleeeeez.
AMA 60591

Offline Doug Knoyle

• Lieutenant
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2012, 06:02:58 PM »
Can't say enough about how these Nats reports mean. The anticpation almost drives me nuts, having to wait during the day for the nightly reports. Thanks to all of you who keep us up to date!

Ditto ... Thank you all.
AMA 60591

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2012, 09:53:49 PM »
Can you post 'em here?  Perdy pleeeeez.

I've tried really hard to pull the pictures off my phone, even tried uploading them to facebook,but for some reason, nothing seems to work.  I'll try again in the morning since I am out of patience.

Matt Colan

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2012, 10:07:35 PM »
Today was appearance judging at the Nats.  I was there in my JCT uniform.  The coolest plane was Paul Winter's, which gave strong evidence that Chesley Bonestell took LSD.  There were some interesting aerodynamic devices.  Paul Walker had PJ VGs.  Frank Williams also had VGs, but put them where an aero engineer would put them.  I don't know which works better, but Paul did multiple trials and convinced himself that PJ is onto something.  Frank also knows that "tail volume" is not the whole story. Wes Dick, who won third in Senior at the 1953 Nats, had some bidirectional double-slotted flaps, of which he was justifiably proud.  This requires a fancy mechanism to work, and he made one.  

I regret that I don't know how to interleave text and pictures here, so here they are in a pile:
The Jive Combat Team

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2012, 10:09:22 PM »
And here is Bob Hunt trying to get a peek before the judges finished judging.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2012, 10:12:46 PM »
And here is Bob Hunt trying to get a peek before the judges finished judging.

And Ted telling him to get out!

Brett

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2012, 10:20:40 PM »
 Thanks for the photos, info and updates guys! Staying tuned... y1
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Doug Knoyle

• Lieutenant
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2012, 10:51:19 PM »
Hey Howard,
Thanks for the news and pics.  How about a pic of your bird?
AMA 60591

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2012, 10:58:00 PM »
Well done to those on the Front Row !!!! What an effort and great reward for all that sanding.

Who was concourse winner?

Some great photo's Howard - and some interested developments going on.

I speak for all unable to attend : Thankyou.

Great to see Paul Simon Winter getting over safely and scoring well.

Howard : You cannot include text in the photo thread unless you upload them seperate. Using the link code and the relivant [img code]http://and text inbetween.

Appearance Judging Front Row.

( Howard Rush supplied photo )

« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 12:52:40 AM by PJ Rowland »

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here