News:

• May 05, 2024, 07:37:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Name of twin boom stunner on Friday Hangout  (Read 7298 times)

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Name of twin boom stunner on Friday Hangout
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2018, 06:09:41 PM »
Me and Lou Wolgast with Carousel and Gobbelswantz.
Picture taken at VSC IX
AMA 7544

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2018, 11:47:32 AM »
Both terrific builders and gentlemen.   Have always thought of building the Gobbelswantz. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2018, 06:58:54 PM »
Talked to Jim Vornholt last night. He has just joined our club of bionic people with a shoulder replacement. He is starting rehab.

He rebuilt his Carousel twice, but doesn't remember details of the controls and contradictions on the drawing.

I have found discrepancies that were not uncommon on published plans of the era.

The top view of the wing shows 1/4" main spars at the aft end of the L.E. sheeting, but the ribs show 1/8" spars.  The flap to elevator pushrod is drawn as 1/6" dia. but the plan callout says 3/32" pushrod. ???

I think the pushrods were 1/16 since the small booms would be hard to fit 3/32" in.  I would prefer the larger dia.. I'm going to have to do some test bends.

In either case I will avoid the problems that I had in the past. The Carousel has a lot of potential for Classic.

Jim also said that he watched Bob Randall build his new version of the Gobbleswantz. I believed was the Liberator or Devastator. Bob had a lot of trouble getting everything aligned. This is a problem with most boomers.

A modern competitive boomer would be very difficult since it would be difficult to include some of our trimming devices, but this could be a challenge for someone to take on.
AMA 7544

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2018, 04:17:28 PM »
Made some laser cut ribs today for the Carousel. I have been making some parts for it over the last few weeks. I will start the wing in the next few days
AMA 7544

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2018, 12:09:03 AM »
Does anyone know how well the McFarland P-38 performed in comparison with the rest of these twin boomers? Did anyone ever build one with only two lines?

Dave

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2018, 12:59:45 PM »
More pictures of my Carousel. 

As I said before, I started a wing with laser cut ribs as shown on the drawing. The drawing shows 1/8" main spars on the rib patterns. .

They are entirely too fragile so I stopped the build. Since the top view of the wing shows conflicting 1/4" spars, I have redrawn the ribs and will laser cut a new set with 1/4" spars this week end. I feel that I owe it to Charles Mackey, and to Jim Vornholt to build a new Carousel. Power will be either a RoJett .40, or a LA .46
AMA 7544

Offline tom creasey

• 1st. Lieutenant
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2018, 01:05:59 PM »
Show?

click on "at the bench" and click on link for google hangout......read how to get on and then join us

coming to Polk City ? I will see ya there
Tom
AMA 1073788

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2018, 01:17:05 PM »
One more view. It is a great looking airplane, but a difficult build. I will write about it for a future Stunt News.
AMA 7544

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2018, 03:40:18 PM »
That looks like an awesome project. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2018, 02:47:00 PM »
No one has mentioned Jack Sheeks La Donna. So here are a few of Walt Umlands prototype model. 14 kits were made if my memory serves me. I'm only 7 years behind on finishing it but who keeps track of time anymore

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #60 on: April 22, 2018, 04:57:34 PM »
Dennis.

Hope you can finish the LaDonna soon. I talked to Jack a few days ago and is very tired. He needs our prayers.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 09:47:21 PM by Tom Niebuhr »
AMA 7544

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2018, 08:43:28 PM »
From Tom Morris' Book...

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2018, 08:17:44 AM »
Here's the twin boom I designed in the 60's, held by the late Don Hartman.

Built two actually from the Ares kit.

I still have wing and booms.

Tempting.

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2018, 12:26:20 PM »
Charles,

You have to build another one! Back in the day many of us started designing while still in grade school.

In my case, my grand father gave me a his old drafting board an drafting set. My first airplane was a Ringmaster while I was in the 4th grade. That is the last kit that I built. From then on everything was my own design with the exception of OTS and Classic airplanes.

This led to my engineering and flying and instructing in full size aircraft.

Today, the ARFS and cell phones are leading to lost skills in every walk of life.  I was at a hobby shop a few days ago and in a few minutes watched parents and adults spending hundreds of $ for RC planes and cars and drones that will be crashed almost right away. These people have no skills to repair them... Oh well, just spend more $100 bills to get another one. Or just go back to texting!

AMA 7544

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2018, 01:02:54 PM »
Tom,

You've put some really nice models together, I wish you'd put up a photo or two.

I have a photo of your extraordinary biplane someplace. I haven't looked at it in a while, I think I can find it.

Put up some photos of your models!!

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2018, 02:47:50 PM »
Charles,

Thanks for the compliment. Although I wrote the FM BiSlob article, it was designed by Ron Pavloer.

The only Bipe that I designed is the "Vagabond". Doc Holliday has one flying and Gordon Van Tighem from Canada has one under construction. I showed the initial Vagabond plan on this forum in PDF form.

I started flying when I was in the 4th grade. I built my one and only Ringmaster and with the exception of OTS and Classic airplanes I have flown my own designs since the 4th grade!

I have pictures of most of my airplanes since the late 50's and early 60's and I could probably put them on a disc for you, but I think putting them on the forum would be too self serving.

I am still learning a lot from these forums. I am also continually surprised at how many common building methods have been created by people at the same time.

I just hope that I can contribute at times.

I have been asked to write something about the Carousel build for Pampa. I am starting by saying that If you say that you have never  made a mistake, you are a liar. After all these years I still botch things up, and I will tell all during the Carousel build. I hope that it is entertaining.

AMA 7544

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2018, 10:17:35 AM »
Here's the twin boom I designed in the 60's, held by the late Don Hartman.

Built two actually from the Ares kit.

I still have wing and booms.

Tempting.
Charles you are the master! kudos!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here