News:

• May 29, 2024, 04:08:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My Shark 402 is in the works...  (Read 1135 times)

Offline jim gilmore

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
My Shark 402 is in the works...
« on: February 24, 2009, 01:38:58 AM »
Ok, I'm building the shark 402. I have found enough room to work and am using a 3/4 x16x42 shelf that i've shimmed level.  So far I'm taking my tiime and if all goes well I'll be ready to cover by next week/month. The only thing I think I am going to change is the single landing gear. I think I will drill 4 holes and plug them with  1/4 dowel and use them to hold 1/8" landing gear on for 2 wheels. Has anybody else built one and put landing gear on it ?

Offline Steve Holt

• Commander
Re: My Shark 402 is in the works...
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 09:35:38 AM »
Jim,
I haven't built a Shark 402, but I have modified a Flite Streak and Skyray to two wheel configuration.  I used the RSM aluminum gear like comes in their Ringmaster kit and it worked very well.  As you were planning, I drilled 1/4" holes and plugged them with dowels.   The gear then simply bolts on with 4-40 bolts and elastic lock nuts.  I found this easier than installing a wire gear.
Steve

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 11:29:39 AM »
THis is a great flying plane, I would look at your all up weight before deciding on two wheels or one.
One wheel works fine even off a stooge if the need arises.
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 07:37:09 PM »
Opps ran into a small problem building the shark yesterday. I started putting the leadouts in  ,and after running them to  the belcrank found out that the amouty of leadout material is too short. Right now I have the cable conected to the bellcrank and out to the tip and back to the bellcrank was gonna cut it and do the ends later but I'll just have to buy a second set and cut one end off. Not enought to make both end as it is now. Has anybody else founf the amout of cable supplied to be so short as to not even allow an extra inch or so ?

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 09:32:04 AM »
Yes....and it really jerked my chain.  Six inches cut into they're profit magin too much I guess.  So I bought a couple hundred feet of .27 from McMaster Car.  Now I always have enough! H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 04:25:17 PM »
If you wrap the leadouts like the book says they are too short.  I always keep sets of leadout cable just because of that.  I don't know where Melvin of MBS Model Supply, but, maybe we could talk him into selling say maybe 100 foot rolls.  I know when I get the leadout cable from him I get two packages.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here