News:

• April 27, 2024, 04:41:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My new Galaxy (Brodak)  (Read 2654 times)

Offline Ed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
My new Galaxy (Brodak)
« on: March 09, 2007, 07:05:18 PM »
Yes, that is my dinning room table/shop

Offline Ed

• Lieutenant
Re: My new Galaxy (Brodak)
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 07:07:34 PM »
Oh! and the McCoy

Ed

Offline Tom Perry

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 08:56:09 PM »
Ed,

I've got one of those I need to build too.  What do you plan to cover your's with.

AP^
Tight lines,

Tom Perry
 Norfolk, Virginia

Offline Ed

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 09:47:41 PM »
Tom, I saw that I-Beam that Shultzie posted and my wife really liked that color. It sure was hard to find at my local hobby shops 25 mile radius but the purple Monocote for the wing and purple Top Flite LUSTREKOTE comes close enough for her. Since I am not a great detail finisher I might just call it the flying Barney. I would need a nice scheme to put on it but I am a little lost in this area.

Ed

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 10:28:06 PM »
My Brodak Galaxy serves me well. When the handling of my Twister got weird I used the Galaxy in Beginner to score well at Brodak and even win a local contest or two. Powered by a fat running fp40. Points better than a streak. I'm drawn to the pterodactyl looks. Legal in classic. Often people look twice, don't see many of them.

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2007, 10:49:17 PM »
The wing structure is a lot different than the original.

Offline Joe Messinger

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2007, 11:06:35 PM »
Hi Ed,

I have several Testor McCoy Series 21 engines like yours and found that a tongue muffler caused the engines to overheat quickly. Maybe drilling enough extra holes in the muffler would help.

Perhaps you just haven't done it as yet but if you will reverse the needle valve on your engine so the fuel inlet or nipple is on the exhaust side, that will point the needle up on a profile plane like your Galaxy.  Also, it eliminates the possibility of burning your hand on the muffler while adjusting the needle. 

Best of luck with your new plane!

Joe
Joe Messinger

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2007, 02:39:25 PM »
Hi Ed,

From all accounts the Galaxy flys real nicely.  Good Luck with yours, and have fun!

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Tom Perry

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2007, 08:11:42 PM »
Tom, I saw that I-Beam that Shultzie posted and my wife really liked that color. It sure was hard to find at my local hobby shops 25 mile radius but the purple Monocote for the wing and purple Top Flite LUSTREKOTE comes close enough for her. Since I am not a great detail finisher I might just call it the flying Barney. I would need a nice scheme to put on it but I am a little lost in this area.

Ed

Ed,

I was thinking of transparent purple for the wings and royal purple with aluminum powder mixed in for the fuselage.  Then use white trim.  The purple for the wings is the same as Ray (minisota modeler) used on one of his 1/2A planes.  I got some on sale a while back.
Tight lines,

Tom Perry
 Norfolk, Virginia

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2007, 08:21:21 PM »
As Garf  stated, that don't look like any Galaxy wing I have ever seen or built.  The Galaxy has a straight chord with no taper.  That reminds me of a Ringmaster wing.  Of course I could be wrong, at my age an this CRS.   DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Steve Holt

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2007, 08:40:56 PM »
Doc,
I have one of the original Galaxy kits (before Brodak) and the wing planform is similar.  The TE is swept forward at the tips.  Mine has solid carved LE and TE pieces.
Steve

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2007, 10:51:54 PM »
As Garf  stated, that don't look like any Galaxy wing I have ever seen or built.  The Galaxy has a straight chord with no taper.  That reminds me of a Ringmaster wing.  Of course I could be wrong, at my age an this CRS.   DOC Holliday
The Galaxy has never had a constant chord wing. It had 4 half span spars. Otherwise it looks like the Brodak.

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2007, 06:13:27 AM »
Ed,

I was thinking of transparent purple for the wings and royal purple with aluminum powder mixed in for the fuselage.  Then use white trim.  The purple for the wings is the same as Ray (minisota modeler) used on one of his 1/2A planes.  I got some on sale a while back.
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2007, 09:12:28 PM »
Doc,
I have one of the original Galaxy kits (before Brodak) and the wing planform is similar.  The TE is swept forward at the tips.  Mine has solid carved LE and TE pieces.
Steve

When I get back home from the VSC I will double and triple check my kit.   If I remember right there is no taper even shows a straight wing on my plans.   I also had one of the originals and that why I latched onto the Brodak kit I have.   DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline wmiii

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2007, 09:49:38 PM »
 I just checked my kit, wing looks exactly like the picture.

Walter y1
walter menges

Offline Ed

• Lieutenant
Re: My new Galaxy (Brodak) Progress
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2007, 04:00:48 PM »
Some pic's of my progress with the Galaxy, no those are not wrinkles in the mono. however I am not happy with the wing tips. this is my first build up wing and covering job.

Offline brucefinley

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2007, 04:11:51 PM »
Heck, looks good to me, now go fly it and have fun! 

My monokote jobs look something like yours, not perfect, and that's why I prefer plain 'ol silkspan and dope!  Takes longer but SS is always more forgiving and in the end, prettier.   I have a Gal in the Brodak box and really do want to build it someday.  Tell us how yours flies, OK?

Bruce

Offline Bob Disharoon

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2007, 05:22:26 PM »
Kitchen counter workshop?....Id be camping on the front lawn with the dawg :X

Offline Ed

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2007, 06:22:22 PM »
Oh! You noticed that, Bob. It started on the dinning room table, the household iron, my wife's good hair dryer. But she does understand, money for tool, or a great paint scheme on her nails etc.. Ed

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2007, 06:30:26 PM »
Putting on MonoKote is the ONE (and I do mean one) job I'm allowed to do in the house in front of the TV.  :D

By the way Ed, save yourself some grief and do the wingtips first with 4 separate pieces of covering. Bottom first (Duh)!
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Tom Hagler

• New Pilot
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2007, 07:49:37 PM »
What Clint said! If there's a secret to a good Monokote job, it's this: do all the "little" stuff first: wingtips, the leadout exits, a 1/2" or so strip next to the fuselage, complete with a neat oval shaped hole for the pushrod exit, etc. It's much easier to place all these details properly when you're not also trying to make the covering fit the entire wing. Now you have a perfect gap between the Kote and fuse, and even on both sides. Then trim off the overhang neatly, and finish up with the large rectangular pieces for the wing. Bottom first, of course. Let'em overlap your wingtip and root strips 1/8" or so. It'll look like you planned it that way.

Galaxy is a great ship. I used one as a sport plane for a few years. Had a G2135. I flew it in WAM's Turkey Shoot in 1995 or so, flew speed limit combat with it, and finally gave it to Clint, IIRC.

Hag
64th in classic at VSCXX! And proud of it!

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2007, 12:02:38 AM »
WHOA! Hold up there Mr Hagler! I believe that the SuperTigre in question was a C.35.

I've still got the Galaxy too. It's now silver w/ plum metallic MonoKote. K&B Stallion .35 for power. Still flies great, though it's a bit heavier than it use to be.
This Galaxy was built (by Tom) from a Control Line Classics kit and is very close to the original with the half span spars. This was a very underrated model as its turn characteristics are as good as a FliteStreak.

I think if you crash a model 3 times it sorta becomes yours. I think that's how I ended up with this Galaxy. ;D
-Clint-

AMA 559593

Offline Tom Hagler

• New Pilot
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2007, 01:21:09 PM »
You're right, of course, Clint. It had to be a C35, as only plain bearing engines were allowed in WAM slow combat. But turn with a Flite Streak? Well, maybe.

Hag
64th in classic at VSCXX! And proud of it!

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2007, 09:38:08 PM »
Well, OK. almost as good as a Streak.
-Clint-

AMA 559593

Advertise Here
Tags: