News:

• May 06, 2024, 11:19:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Music in Paradise  (Read 1077 times)

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Music in Paradise
« on: March 04, 2018, 05:00:37 AM »
The "Spirit of Port Clinton", a 1928 Ford Tri-Motor has been doing hot laps above our place for the last couple days.
$75.00 for 15 minutes of air time....Edy loved it.
It never gets about 1000 feet and the air is alive with the sounds.

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Music in Paradise
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 06:31:14 AM »
I want to go cross country in a Tri-motor. Take a month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 08:01:48 AM »
I want to go cross country in a Tri-motor. Take a month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went almost cross country in a Lake LA4 200T. Vegas Baby!!

Felt safe all the way.

The Tri-motor, I wouldn't even get in it.

But that's me.
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Online Dan Berry

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 08:44:16 AM »
Ford Tri-motor was my time in an airplane.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 10:34:12 AM »
And I thought Mr. Peabody lives in "the plywood state".  S?P  Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 10:52:16 AM »
It was  also at the  Fort Pierce Airport 2 weeks ago. The EAA does a great job.

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 02:07:19 PM »
That really brings back memories. When I was just out of college and playing in Lakeside's summer symphony, we used to pay our very small fee ($5?) to fly out from the Port Clinton airport to Put-In-Bay on the Island Airlines Ford Trimotor. I remember the rumble, lifting off the ground so slowly with those thick corrugated wings, and watching the wheels stop. After several years now the EAA chapter there is pretty much along in restoring theirs. They re-fabricated a LOT of parts. Passenger fees have really changed!

SK

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2018, 02:25:26 PM »
When I was working at the Syracuse airport in 1963 a Tri-motor dropped in to the main terminal and I highjacked the fuel truck and went to meet it.  It was American Airlines' and they had rescued the thing from somewhere in Central America.  The pilot said it was in a jungle environment and a family was living in it when they found it!  They even had a stove pipe running out through the side of then beast for their stove.
AA was touring it around the US for a promotional tour. (Being single at the time I fell in love with the beauty they had for a stewardess!  She didn't return the favor.  Drat.)
When I crawled up on the wing to pump the 80 octane in, I thought I was on a football field!
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2018, 04:47:32 PM »
Back in the 70's a Ford trimotor was selling rides.   Take off and landing at the down town airport of KCMo.   $10.00 a head and worth every penny.   Wicker seats with a little lap belt.   Looking up hill to the cock pit with pilot and co-pilot and the watching the gear as it took off.   Looked we  were just going around down town.  Coming in from the north it looked like we going to land on the railroad cars.   Finally the runway met the wheels and those shocks didn't collapse until he was slow enough to turn off.  Would love another ride in it. H^^   
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2018, 05:49:03 PM »
That really brings back memories. When I was just out of college and playing in Lakeside's summer symphony, we used to pay our very small fee ($5?) to fly out from the Port Clinton airport to Put-In-Bay on the Island Airlines Ford Trimotor. I remember the rumble, lifting off the ground so slowly with those thick corrugated wings, and watching the wheels stop. After several years now the EAA chapter there is pretty much along in restoring theirs. They re-fabricated a LOT of parts. Passenger fees have really changed!

SK

The island Airways was the Fords that made several daily trips like that, including the local school kids to attend school on the mainland? I think they had two or three with the rainbow on the sides.  When that service ended, someone bought one and was barnstorming it through my area here and spent a month at Creve Cour  Airport which is also known as Dauster Flying Field. I was out of work and couldn't afford the ride (only 15 bucks for a regular seat and 30 bucks for a right side cock pit seat) but my son Sean and i spent a Sunday morning looking it over and taking some photos. It  was complete with the original "window sticker) and showed it was delivered from the factory to an address where the old Ford plant used to be in Hazelwood, MO, right near here. That's not far from current St. Louis/Lambert Airport and back in those days there was several other small fields very close to Lambert and one was near there. We got to watch the owner preflight the airplane including oiling the control surface hinges with an old fashioned oil can.
    The Spirit of Port Clinton is one that the EAA leases for these tours and for rides at AirVenture each year. The main Tri-Motor in the EAA fleet is one that they bought as wreckage after it was rolled up in a ball during a thunder storm in northern Indiana or Illinois. I can't remember the town. It went through a 12 year rebuild and the jigs and fixtures used for that were used in all subsequent Tri-Motor restorations and rebuilds, including the Bushmaster series of airplanes that were built later.
   It was a movie start twice! The first time was in the Jerry Lewis comedy "Family Jewels" that centered around a young orphan girls that had to pick from one of here uncles to take her in and raise her. One was a airplane pilot, and while waiting to meet him, she was day dreaming about a dashing young man flying that gleaming 707 that was parked out side. Then this old little Tri-Motor came taxiing around the nose of the 707 and she was told her Uncle was flying that! You can imagine her surprise when she met the character  that Jerry Lewis was playing!
   The second time was in recent history for the movie "Public Enemy". I never saw it so don't know much about it.  I think it had Johnie Depp in it??  I got to work on the ground crew for the tour when it first came through St. Louis several years ago. The EAA used to never let it leave Wittman Field and only toured the B-17 Aluminum Overcast.  The Ford was the airplane that the EAA carried the most insurance on at that time and didn't want to risk the airplane on a tour. But that year, the B-17 got grounded due to issues with the main spar, and since they did not want to loose all the revenue from touring the B-17, it was decided to tour the Ford instead. It was piloted by Colin Soucey, brother of airshow pilot Gene Soucey, and by another familiar face, Jerry (or Gerry) Flaugher. Mr. Flaugher was the designer of a stunt model that was published called "The Midas"  and we used to see him on the contest trail. He had dropped out of stunt by that time but it was fun working with him on the ride concession. I got many, many regular seat rides and one cockpit right seat ride.
   On  the last day in town here before they moved on, we were prefilghting the airplane for the day. Jerry climbed up on top of the airplane through a hatch on top just behind the cockpit to fuel it, using the old broom stick method. When finished, we boarded the first batch of riders for the day> Am absolutely perfect day! I always took a seat by the starboard engine to watch the gauges (they are mounted on the engine nacelles.) This Tri-Motor has some really up-rated engines that I don't remember, but it was definitely NOT lacking for power! When they put the power up for take off, I swear that the main wheels only rotated once before the oleo struts extended as far as the cable limiters would let them! That baby wanted in the air right away!  We flew out to the south of Spirit of St. Louis Airport for the cruise portion. The pilot of a Tri-Motor has his hands full on take offs and landings cranking on the trim wheels. On this trip, Jerry seemed to be really working the trim wheels hard. He motioned for me to come forward and when I did he pointed over my head and that hatch flopped open and closed! He yelled at me to try and close it. It is quite high from the floor at that point, and it is a good step up into the cockpit. I had to time my jump by jumping up from the edge of the cockpit floor to grab the wire catch. it was a funny looking contraption that I can't describe, but it kind of cammed over another wire to latch it. I finall grabbed what I needed to and got it latched . The riders were kind of bewildered. It was too noisy to talk to them, so I just smiled and waved and sat down. They got an extra ten minutes on their ride because it took that long to get thing rectified. No real danger, just damned hard to trim the airplane with the fuselage filling up with all that air! That was a fun week and I enjoyed every minute of it. I got to watch them change out a magneto on the center engine, and handle the fire extinguisher on engine start ups. They had a guy named Balky who was German and grew up near the Zeplin sheds when he was a child! great old guy to talk to. All in all, I may have about 2 or 3 hours worth of ride time in the old bird and am always ready for another!
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2018, 02:50:39 AM »
When the Cleveland Plain Dealer noted that Island was discontinuing the Tri-Motors, I rode the motorbike over to Port Clinton.
I explained that I would enjoy a ride and that I didn't want to be left on a Lake Erie Island.
$12.00 bought me a ticket.
The plane was "well used" at best.
Had wicker seats to save weight.....the rear 3 on each side folded up against the wall...."we have to get coffins on you know"
The $12.00 bought me a stop at three islands
Great fun.

Offline Jeff Traxler

• T-Bone
  • 2019 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2018, 08:59:41 AM »
I got to ride on Island Airlines trimotor several times as a kid growing up 40 miles from Port Clinton.I have rode on the EAA trimotor several times as well.Just can't beat the sound of round aircraft engines!!
If you wanna sing the blues(Fly Stunt) you gotta pay your dues and "I know it don't come easy"

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here