News:

• June 17, 2024, 03:26:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mufflers  (Read 871 times)

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Mufflers
« on: October 28, 2012, 07:42:59 AM »
On one of the posts it is mentioned that tongue mufflers are not that quiet.   To the pilot in the middle of the circle they might be a decibal or two noiser.   As old age is creeping up on me I notice that by the time I get to the handle I can barely hear my Fox .35 Stunt or even the LA .25 or .46 with tongue mufflers.   Even quieter with stock mufflers.   But, when the muffler came off the OS .35 on my Jerkline Special, what a racket.  It was a stock tube muffler.  Swiped the tongue muffler off another plane I had at the field and put a tongue muffler on.   On top of the plane while starting I could hear no difference.  But in the middle of the circle there was a slight difference.  By the way didn't check center of gravity.   What a wild flight I had.   Took it home to find a tube muffler to put back on the plane.  By the way planes do get a lot of attention when mufflers fall off or come apart, like my Fox muffler did in Wichita this year.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Dan Berry

• Admiral
Re: Mufflers
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 10:11:00 AM »
I can overcome the noise with my earmuffs. I don't want to irritate guys outside the circle with an inadequate muffler.
I'm already adding 1.5oz to the tail and don't really want to put a kludge muffler and more tailweight onto it.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 10:19:31 AM »
Hi Doc,

Not a "muffler" story, but Dan Banjock flew his jet stunter twice during the day at Huntersville.  I forgot just how loud a full size Dyna Jet actually is!

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 10:30:47 AM »
Hearing loss involves losing frequencies.
I can hear my cats cruching away on food 30' from my bed but sometimes can't hear someone talking next to me.

Tongue mufflers don't do much of anything I think, except generate back-pressure.
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 11:42:58 AM »
I will say that I can tell a big difference in sound on my LA 46's. I put the stock tube back on my Tut 2 when I go to the city park.

I was also told that you get more powe with any tube type muffler.

Think I might order a lite tube from Randy.  ;D
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 12:53:34 PM »
I do not run mufflers on anything any more. My Fox 35's are not that loud and run really nice without the muffler. My McCoy Red Heads are even quieter than the Fox 35's, both the 35's and 40's. I wear ear muffs when running my Fox 59's and 60 size ignition engines. The one exception on ignition is the Ohlsson sideports as they are fairly quiet. Our R/C C/L field is out in the middle of nowhere, so we don't have a problem with neighbors. I do tend to not fly the really noisy stuff if guys are there flying R/C, but have not had any complants. It is pretty hard to hear an electric plane over an Anderson Spitfire or Orwick.
Jim Kraft

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here