News:

• May 03, 2024, 04:56:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: More hanger pictures  (Read 2198 times)

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
More hanger pictures
« on: April 01, 2010, 07:51:18 PM »
A few more pictures. The crew showed up at 8am, and left at 5:58pm. Fast workers for sure.

Brian
While flying the pattern, my incompetence always exceeds my expectations.

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: More hanger pictures
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 08:59:24 PM »
That is so cool.  I wish I had one, and I wish I lived in California.  The only other thing I'd want is a circle in the back yard.  Well, not quite the only other thing.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Joe Messinger

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 09:54:06 PM »
Brian,

What are the dimensions?  Looks good!

Joe
Joe Messinger

Online Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 10:11:39 PM »
Brian, is that in your YARD at home, or is that an industrial site or something? And, sorry to ask a rude question, but what is the approximate cost of a metal structure like that? Don't need to answer if that is too personal.

I had lunch at the Panda Express just off the freeway in Madera two weeks ago and can recommend it. Nice town but a bit different from how I remember it from decades ago.

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 11:28:54 PM »
Joe: The building is 30 wide by 40 deep and has a 9 foot "plate", except there is no real "plate" to speak of. It is a pre-engineered building by Madera Carports in Madera. They charged  right at 10K for the building, then there was almost 5K for the pad and dirt work, and another 15 hundred for permits/fees (another reason to hate CA). Then to pour salt in the wound, they "appraised" the value for tax purposes at 48K!  %^@ %^@ I'm told that all I have to do is go the assesors office and show the contract and that will be adjusted.

Yes Mike, this is my yard. We have 1/2 an acre in this "semi rural" area. Had I know three years ago that I was going to get back into C/L I would have bought a lot big enough for my own circle . . . hind sight is wonderful.  HB~> HB~> HB~> Tomorrow I'll get a picture from across the street and give you a better idea. I like living here, no street lights, no curbs, neighbors are quite, and a very low crime rate. On the other side of the coin, summers are to *&%#* hot, and the winters a very damp bone chilling cold. Oh well, by March I was flying in shorts and sunglasses.  #^

Brian

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Online Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 11:47:49 PM »
Criminy, with a shop that size you may soon find you are hosting every model builder in Central California. Will there be air conditioning for the summer? I presume you know that Clint Oromosen in your area is an HVAC man (hope I spelled that right). I am only two hours away in Alameda, next to Oakland, home of the worst team in pro football. We have to look at their stadium from our flying field, just across the estuary. Our summer weather will soon be here, with endless fog and cold and wind. We may long for Madera...

Offline Neville Legg

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 02:11:27 AM »
Brian, that looks fantastic, too big to fit in my back yard ;D Hope there are some more windows? I hate too much artificial light!

Cheers     Neville
"I think, therefore I have problems"

(not) Descartes

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 07:30:46 AM »
Brian I didn't see this post before the other one.  The building looks great.  Isn't city codes great.  I had to get a certified electrician to help me with the electric stuff.  Some of it I questioned and told him how I would have done it.  He stated that was over kill.  I did about 90% of the work on my shop.  The family did lay the linoleum and point it while I was at the NATS that year.  Anyway you have something that will last.  Now the person to envious of is Bob Reeves in Oklahoma.  Maybe he will post some updates to his place. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 09:00:57 AM »
Brian, that looks fantastic, too big to fit in my back yard ;D Hope there are some more windows? I hate too much artificial light!

Cheers     Neville

Hi Neville!

Yes, the other side of the building (which gets the afternoon sun) has two windows. I didn't put one on the East side (the side in the picture) because that is where I will now park the motorhome, which will eventually covered. I'm also hoping to put in a skylight or two. I much prefer natural light too.

By the way, how are you feeling now? I hope your up to getting that Chipmonk going. Mine is close to being done, maybe another week or two.

Brian

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 11:55:11 AM »
     I use to live in Clovis and flew a lot of carrier. The problem was even though we were out in the middle of no-where there was no-where to fly. One of the spots I did use and used a lot was Kearney Park that is not to far from Madera. I think the nearest main intersection is somewhere around Whites Bridge Ave. and Grantland. In the winter time I flew in the old section of the park on tree (big trees) lined Soccer fields and in the summer time I flew out at the back of the park on open soccer fields. I was never bothered by anyone in all the times I used the park. It was a great place to fly and they kept the grass in pretty good shape. I flew there Monday through Friday and then would switch to Alta grammar school out south of Reedley for the weekends.  Eric   

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 01:28:10 PM »
     I use to live in Clovis and flew a lot of carrier. The problem was even though we were out in the middle of no-where there was no-where to fly. One of the spots I did use and used a lot was Kearney Park that is not to far from Madera. I think the nearest main intersection is somewhere around Whites Bridge Ave. and Grantland. In the winter time I flew in the old section of the park on tree (big trees) lined Soccer fields and in the summer time I flew out at the back of the park on open soccer fields. I was never bothered by anyone in all the times I used the park. It was a great place to fly and they kept the grass in pretty good shape. I flew there Monday through Friday and then would switch to Alta grammar school out south of Reedley for the weekends.  Eric   
Hi Eric!

Where are you now? I'm assuming you moved from Clovis. I'm real familiar with Kearney Park, it's a great place. We fly on the grounds of a local church which has given us there permission. We can fly there whenever there are not competing church functions we might disturb. So far it has worked out great. I've heard some local flyers say they have been kicked out of Kearney Park; not sure how true or what ever.

Brian

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 05:29:24 PM »
     I moved from Clovis to Gardnerville Nevada. As far as weather and flying sites probably the worst move I've ever made. Lots of wind and winter last five months. Not a good move for a California weather kind of guy. Most of the city's (all 5 of them) have a RC field but it is hard to find a place to fly CL. The grass here is course and DEEP or tall, what ever, and most of the areas are noise sensitive so the Nelson's don't go over well at all.
     That is a mighty fine building you have there. I trust it will be air conditioned and also heated for those damp cold days that you have. When I lived in Clovis I couldn't use the attached garage during the winter months and then in the summer the garage was good up to around 11 AM. I use to live in Garden Grove California and the weather was great all year long except for maybe 10 or 15 days and the occasional Santa Ana winds.  Eric

Offline Gary Anderson

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 06:10:55 PM »
Hi guys,

Your hanger looks great, Brian, now you have more room for Mike to build and C$$$$$ more planes. I guess Mike's wife is correct, THIS HOBBY IS GOING TO BE EXPENSIVE.

Hi Eric,

I'm trying to remember you, did you fly with the Clovis Control Line Club??? Gid, Bob, Roger, Gil, Norm, and many many more????? I've lived in Clovis for many years, went to Clovis High School, the whole nine yards. Flown control line toys most of my life, off and on thru the years. When I started high school, figured out playing with cars and girls was more fun, at the time, than planes. Like most got married to a great gal and raised four boys. During the time of making a living, raising kids, growing up, (never did, just ask my wife). I played with C/L toy when I could. Now!!!!! that's all I do, when someone says what do ya do to keep busy. I just tell them I play with toys and enjoy the looks I get, Ha Ha. If we played together, I'm sorry, can't remember, Gary
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 10:28:02 AM by Gary Anderson »
Gary Anderson

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 09:36:20 PM »
Nice building. It wouldn't do in hurricane country.

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2010, 10:48:02 AM »
Nice building. It wouldn't do in hurricane country.
Nor would it take big snow loads, but it is anchored for earthquakes.

Brian

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2010, 10:36:27 PM »
     I moved from Clovis to Gardnerville Nevada. As far as weather and flying sites probably the worst move I've ever made. Lots of wind and winter last five months. Not a good move for a California weather kind of guy. Most of the city's (all 5 of them) have a RC field but it is hard to find a place to fly CL. The grass here is course and DEEP or tall, what ever, and most of the areas are noise sensitive so the Nelson's don't go over well at all.
     That is a mighty fine building you have there. I trust it will be air conditioned and also heated for those damp cold days that you have. When I lived in Clovis I couldn't use the attached garage during the winter months and then in the summer the garage was good up to around 11 AM. I use to live in Garden Grove California and the weather was great all year long except for maybe 10 or 15 days and the occasional Santa Ana winds.  Eric

Wow; Gardnerville, I have some close friends just up the road in Minden; Richard and Carla Brutico if you've ever heard of them. Richard has a cool 61 (I think) Ford truck. Anyway, we looked real hard at the area when we were thinking of moving, but the high desert winters turned my wife off.

Sorry to say no A/C in the shop for now; I'll either adjust or find the $ somehow. One problem is the astronomical cost of electricity in CA!  HB~> HB~> We must have about the highest rates in the world.  HB~>

I'm a So Cal native, and real familiar with GG; I was born in Huntington Park, raised in Bell Gardiens. Wound up in Glendora before leaving the conjestion behind. If it weren't for the conjestion, So Cal would be close to paradise.

Brian

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Offline Neville Legg

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2010, 06:37:52 AM »
Hi Neville!

Yes, the other side of the building (which gets the afternoon sun) has two windows. I didn't put one on the East side (the side in the picture) because that is where I will now park the motorhome, which will eventually covered. I'm also hoping to put in a skylight or two. I much prefer natural light too.

By the way, how are you feeling now? I hope your up to getting that Chipmonk going. Mine is close to being done, maybe another week or two.

Brian

Hello Brian,     

Been feeling a bit flat since the pneumonia, and now I've got to have a spinal injection in a couple of weeks, so I can walk properly again!! Hopefully? (lifting too much heavy machinery over my working life!) The Chipmunk is next on my list, clearing up some older projects first!

Cheers      Neville
"I think, therefore I have problems"

(not) Descartes

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2010, 09:39:32 AM »
Hello Brian,     

Been feeling a bit flat since the pneumonia, and now I've got to have a spinal injection in a couple of weeks, so I can walk properly again!! Hopefully? (lifting too much heavy machinery over my working life!) The Chipmunk is next on my list, clearing up some older projects first!

Cheers      Neville
I hope the injections work for you; nothing worse than back pain. I wish you the best!

Brian

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here