News:

• April 27, 2024, 12:28:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Monokote Trim Solvent  (Read 2184 times)

Offline Chris Fretz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Monokote Trim Solvent
« on: April 15, 2018, 11:47:50 AM »
Monokote Trim Solvent... What a disaster that crap is!  Not for me apparently!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 12:14:32 PM by #Liner »
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
Re: Monokote Trim Solvent
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 12:10:01 PM »
A little dab will do ya'.  Lay the Monokote down with Windex, squeegee out the bubbles and let it dry.  Apply the solvent sparingly around the edge of the trim pieces with a cotton swab.  It takes practice.
Mike

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 12:16:14 PM »
A little dab will do ya'.  Lay the Monokote down with Windex, squeegee out the bubbles and let it dry.  Apply the solvent sparingly around the edge of the trim pieces with a cotton swab.  It takes practice.
So only the edges hold it down? I thought the whole thing got the trim solvent.
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 12:45:22 PM »
You can do that but you will probably end up with a gooey mess.  But, you know that by now.
Mike

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 12:48:03 PM »
So only the edges hold it down? I thought the whole thing got the trim solvent.

The objective is only to seal the edges from fuel intrusion. How that works exactly, I don't know, but Dirty Dan recommended doing this. DD used film coverings for several decades.  D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Online Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 02:24:22 PM »
I use it to seal the edges of trim as above, but I find that I use it most often to clean up the edges of MonoKote where the the color smears a bit when ironing a dark color over a lighter color.  It is a solvent, so it works great.

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 02:54:40 PM »
I tried it with Ultracote and it does not work with the adhesive on Ultracote.  I do not know if it is proprietary to Monokote or not but if you are not using the Monokote brand, you might want to test it first.

Mike

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2018, 03:02:12 PM »
It seems to seal the edges of the plastic covering that Brodak uses of late....but will give you a hangover

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2018, 03:57:15 PM »
I've always used it. I use it for a few different things while doing monokote. See this thread.

https://stunthanger.com/smf/old-time-stunt-discussion/ringmaster-s1-monokote/

I don't like to do really huge layover pieces. If the layer is big enough, I'll just piece together different colors as one sheet, then apply the covering

Offline MikeyPratt

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2018, 06:23:33 PM »

Mike has it right, just a little around the edges with a cotton swab and let it set until the next day.  I've added checkerboards, trim, and lettering cut from monocoat many times and it works just fine.  Place you trim in place and iron it down.  Dip a swab into the solvent and gently apply it to out side edge, it will wick into the underplaying adhesive and bond the trim in place.

Mike Pratt

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2018, 06:13:28 AM »
Mike do you cut the monokote trim ,then install it with like windex,then wait for it to dry, then seal it with your iron at a lower temp,then use the solvent on the edges? Thanks,Skip

Offline MikeyPratt

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2018, 06:47:28 AM »
Mike do you cut the monokote trim ,then install it with like windex,then wait for it to dry, then seal it with your iron at a lower temp,then use the solvent on the edges? Thanks,Skip

Hi Skip,
I've tried both ways without problems.  I like to iron the trim down (lower temp) and seal it with trim solvent.  Most don't allow enough time for the solvent to work.  Also, make sure the base film is clean before starting the process for good adhesion of the trim.

Later,
Mikey

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2018, 07:32:57 AM »
Thanks guys you've saved the day again yet again. Anytime I try to iron on trim it turns into a bubbly wrinkle mess no matter how low the heat. Hopefully the Windex trick cures that.
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here