« on: August 01, 2013, 08:13:11 PM »
blank
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 08:06:48 AM by Motorman »

Online Brett Buck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Monokote Backing
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 08:34:39 PM »
You ever try to do something with the stuff that peels off of Monokote? I took a wing frame and painted on Balsarite full strength next day I tried to stick the plastic on it with an iron. It looked like it stuck until I shrank it and it popped off the frame. Why didn't it stick to the Balsarite?

MM

Because it's polypropylene and nothing much sticks to it? That's why they use it as a backing, it can sit there for decades and not stick.

Brett

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 08:41:24 PM »
Are you saying that you tried using the M'kote backing material as a wing covering?  If so, Brett's reply says it all.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 08:43:56 PM »
Are you saying that you tried using the M'kote backing material as a wing covering?  If so, Brett's reply says it all.

It's not crazy, you have all this nice plastic lying around, and it seems natural to want to use it. It doesn't work, of course.

Brett

Mike Griffin

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 09:48:42 PM »
I have used it to protect my plans from glue before...

Mike

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 07:56:02 AM »
I use the backing for protecting plans.  Also cut into small pieces to seal the canning jars I keep my SIG & Brodak dope in.   
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 06:15:10 AM »
It's good for masking.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Dwayne

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 06:26:12 AM »
You ever try to do something with the stuff that peels off of Monokote? I took a wing frame and painted on Balsarite full strength next day I tried to stick the plastic on it with an iron. It looked like it stuck until I shrank it and it popped off the frame. Why didn't it stick to the Balsarite?

MM

Try scuffing it to give the  balsarite something to bite on to.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2013, 06:30:38 AM »
Try scuffing it to give the  balsarite something to bite on to.

You can try, but its used as a backing precisely because nothing sticks to it. Don't count on it without extensive (to destruction) testing. Any of these waxy plastics are almost impossible to bond. If they need to be joined, they are typically welded.

Brett

Offline Hoss Cain

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2013, 11:16:16 AM »
Just one of those dumbbell things many years ago when monokote was a very new thing. In the days-of-old when USA companies ruled the Model Airplane products, TOP FLITE was an independent company, and they brought monokote to the USA modelers. One of their employees at the time was a young fellow from England named Dave Platt, one of the great minds in airplane design, production and new materials.
Top Flite had marketed a covering material, forget its name but it was garbage and called by those that tried it, "Instant Wrinkle" HA, HA!

Well, about 1970 +/-, here comes the new stuff called "Monokote". It certainly did not take long to become the RC modeler's favorite item for covering. Probably same for CL.

Here is a funny story: I owned a Hobby Shop in Mt. Prospect, IL at the time. I built a C/L profile model to test this monokote. Up flying and all of a sudden a great glob of RED departs the model, but it kept flying. I was just waiting for the big crash, but it did not come. When the engine quit I landed and ran over to find a plastic like stuff over the outboard wing. I hurried to call Top Flite and spoke to Dave Platt. He laughed and accused me of leaving the backing on the monokote. HECK, I would NOT do such. n1 It just had to be a separation of the coloring thing!!  %^@   n1  y1 HB~>

Well good 'Ol Dave had it right. He never let me forget it either!  ;D However to this day I never figured what held that backing onto that wing. It peeled right off, and it was on top of the bottom wing covering at the LE and TE. If I saw Dave today, he would probably ask if my monokote still sheds its coloring!  :##
Horrace Cain
AMA L-93 CD and Leader
New Caney, TX  (NE Houston area)

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2013, 08:10:18 AM »
Don't feel bad.   After covering I don't remember how many models with Monokote I was in the  process of trying to cover an elevator.   The covering would not stick to the previous Monokote.  I even turned the iron up more and that I when I discovered I had forgotten to remove the backing.   It would stick until I tried to shrink it.   ~^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2013, 07:09:36 PM »
It is my glass layup peel layer of choice. Never sticks, will conform to reasonable curves, and is the right price. Typically use when bagging/pressing race plane wings, tails, and profile fuselages. I like it better than the mylar that you can buy for layups.

My only problem is that (a) I sometimes run out; (b) you need to handle it carefully when you are at Stage I, which is when you are peeling it off of the MonoKote for its "first" use, so that you do not cause puckers. These will show up in your glass job when used the "second" time as a peel layer.

I have also used it as a plan cover, but it doesn't seem to have overall advantages over Saran wrap or waxed paper--just different.

Dave

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2013, 09:22:31 AM »
Some great suggestions here, all these years, I never thought of using it as a plan cover, heck, I'm still using waxed paper!!!!
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Phil Spillman

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2013, 07:17:17 PM »
Well here goes my secret use for backing material from Monocoat! I have been making Monocoat hinges for my film covered creations in as much as I no longer have a full basement to call my own! I have had to adjust to one large bedroom as my domain. By using film I don't irritate the love of my life for the past 51 years with " That horrible stuff that is stinking up my home"!

i USE THE BACKER TO PREPARE mONOCOAT HINGES BY using it to help me not stick the opposing pieces of color matched material to form the hinge. I protect the sticky sides with the film and also use paper towels to iron through. If the plane has one color up and another down I make my hinge halves out of the appropriate color to eventually mount them in the age old X fashion.

To prepare the surfaces to receive the hinges I put a piece of film around the edge to give the hinge something to stick to opther than wood. I hinge the entire surface which is to say the hinges go all the way across the wing or stab from root to tip.

Incidentally the hinge strips are prepared in about 6 to 8 inch strips and are then cut off to fashion the final hinge. These segments are about 3/4 to 1 inch lengths.
Phil Spillman

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here