News:

• April 27, 2024, 02:34:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Model workshop shed  (Read 2409 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Model workshop shed
« on: January 13, 2024, 07:07:30 AM »
Has anyone ether built or purchased a backyard shed that was big enough for using as a work shop? I may be moving and most of the places we are looking at don't have basements or a spare room that I can use for my shop, but they have large yards that would fit a shed. Question is what size and is there it a kit or fully assembled, what is needed?

Best,   DennisT

Online Rusty

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Model workshop shed
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2024, 07:29:54 AM »
Back in the 90s my Dad bought a place on a private air strip in the Ocala forest.  It didn't have room for him to build so he bought a shed as you describe.  I think it was 10' x 12'.  It had a couple windows, lights and he installed a small A/C.  It worked great for him. 

Offline Gary Mondry

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2024, 08:43:25 AM »
I’m pretty sure that’s what Doc Holliday did up in Kansas City. I don’t recall the details, but he’ll probably see this and comment. A search might also turn up details. It seems like he posted about it back then, but it might have been on Stuka Stunt.
AMA 10663

Offline Bill Morell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2024, 09:07:51 AM »
Dennis, I went with a 10x14 shed similar to what Home Shithole sells. I think their brand is Tuff Shed. It's not the biggest but it is adequate for my needs. I do most of the sanding outside as to keep the dust down. I have A/C and heat, TV and stereo for entertainment. It was the cheapest way to go.
Bill Morell
It wasn't that you could and others couldn't, its that you did and others didn't.
Vietnam 72-73
  Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2024, 09:37:20 AM »
I’m pretty sure that’s what Doc Holliday did up in Kansas City. I don’t recall the details, but he’ll probably see this and comment. A search might also turn up details. It seems like he posted about it back then, but it might have been on Stuka Stunt.
Yes Doc got a sort of kit for it I believe,  wood.   It would remind you of a tiny house project.  The main issue was a really sub-par floor which rotted out in a hurry.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2024, 09:40:57 AM »
https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=XW7vHM4S&id=6F282FF95F4406D7F5C88257ED410BCE7DF066A9&thid=OIP.XW7vHM4SwAzOizoE33KEgQHaHa&mediaurl=https%3a%2f%2fnortherncreek.com%2fcdn-cgi%2fimage%2fwidth%3d108%2cheight%3d108%2cquality%3d100%2fassets%2fimages%2f0081483802343_A__86399.1477324834.1280.1280.jpg&cdnurl=https%3a%2f%2fth.bing.com%2fth%2fid%2fR.5d6eef1cce12c00cce8b3a04df728481%3frik%3dqWbwfc4LQe1Xgg%26pid%3dImgRaw%26r%3d0&exph=1280&expw=1280&q=Plastic+storage+sheds+8+x+20&simid=608049283925231894&FORM=IRPRST&ck=A899AFB91D90F3266295B62DCD27BDEA&selectedIndex=1&itb=0&ajaxhist=0&ajaxserp=0

We have one of these.  It is a 2 man job to assemble it.  Very solid and weatherproof.  I got it for me but the wife appropriated it so I never got to build in it.  In a perfect world I would make one out of 2x4 and 1/2" plywood insulated.  A louvered exhaust fan and a window heat pump AC unit with a real door.  About the same price as the prefab.  I would add an electrical sub-panel with 40 amps.  This is what I had over our deck before the fire.  It was a man cave 10 x 20 complete with TV, Refrigerator and a restroom heat and air and best of all, wife friendly - NOT IN THE HOUSE.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Robertc

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2024, 10:19:41 AM »
Dennis,
you ever see Chuck's shed?  He had a pre-fab from Home Depot or similar.  His was around 6 x 8, a bit small but worked for him.  Had a small A/C in it.  In N. Carolina,
think you would need heat as well.

Offline Steve Thompson

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2024, 02:25:36 PM »
Here, anything larger than 8x10 has to have building permits, inspections, etc. even if on skids like most sheds.  Big Brother government keeping us safe.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2024, 02:53:02 PM »
Yes the old DOC built a shop in the back yard.  Check your local building codes for allowable size.  Then get licensed electrician to install breaker boxes.  Mine is extension off the main box of the house with breaker box in the shop.  If i want I can shut down the power to the shop.  Had to dig trench from house to the shop in which conduit for the electric cable and the natural gas line for the heater.  I was scolded for putting insulation in before the inspector okayed the electrical runs.  For the natural gas I have shut off at the house and in the shop at the heater.    My air conditioner quit working about the third year.  Yes as David noted the flooring which was supposed to be water proof was not.  Need to clear out shop and redo the floor.  In reality I should have went with max floor area allowed.  My area is 12 X 20 feet.  There is a 4 foot section on the back for stuff the wife wanted for storage of pool supplies which has some of my planes in there.  Another thing when making the walls and partition put in peices to keep them square.  If you sight down the side of shop you will see a slight dog leg as I forgot to brace the partition before I installed the roofing.  I learned A lot doing this and have to thank wife, youngest, daughter and son for help on this. D>K

If I can find my pictures I will post them. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2024, 03:09:26 PM »
24x30

10' ceilings

Air conditioned

Bathroom.

Full.
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Online Steve Berry

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2024, 04:27:01 PM »
You guys are lucky....here's my humble little building area in my home office.

Steve

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2024, 04:42:34 PM »
I built a wooden shed in the back yard of the old house from a kit I got at the hardware store.  It was fun to build.  Two suggestions: 1) Get a pneumatic nailer.  You need that shoulder to fly stunt.  2) Don't store grass seed in the shed.  Rodents will move in.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Richard Fleming

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2024, 06:27:51 PM »
About three months ago, I bought a 12'X24" shed from Tuff Shed. All wood and they build it on site. It will be a while before I have it set up as my plane workshop so I am still building in my garage.
AMA 83080
AHRMA 9827

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2024, 09:22:33 PM »
About three months ago, I bought a 12'X24" shed from Tuff Shed. All wood and they build it on site. It will be a while before I have it set up as my plane workshop so I am still building in my garage.

If I may inquire, whats the cost on that shed?

Gary
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2024, 06:27:10 PM »
Well just when I thought we were headed to a full basement house my wife went up to see the house and even though it looked like everything would fit on paper when she got there and looked at the rooms it was a no go. We are back to another house with an add on workshop. Looking at the layout it looks like we can add the workshop just outside the garage kinda like adding an addition rather then a stand alone shed. It can be built about 19' by 16' with the entrance from the garage (there is an existing door to the back yard) and could be finished with the same siding as the house.

So with that, does anyone have any layouts for their work benches, tools and storage that you could share?

Best,   DennisT

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2024, 07:00:31 PM »
DT,

I just built an "aircraft carrier" bench that I am liking so far.

I used two Rockler "Rock Steady" steel bench leg kits and put a 30"x 96" 3/4" plywood top on it. The edges are framed in with 2"x3". The top came from a fixture I used while building a full-sized airplane, but I had to get it out of the hanger when we moved. The bottom shelf is some 3/4" finished plywood that I scrounged. (Thanks, Ron!) I paneled it in on three sides with 1/4" pegboard to help keep the dust out--and I had the pegboard.

Not too expensive and really rugged and stable. Look up your options in the Rockler catalog. I previously made a workstand that has a vise in one corner, a scrollsaw in another, a bench grinder and 1/2-ton arbor press on the remaining corners. Boxed it in with 1/4" pegboard. Laminated maple top. On four of their locking castors. I really liked the way it turned out, so it was a logical start to building the aircraft carrier bench. I included a picture of the smaller, mobile bench before I mounted the tools. I had it out on the driveway to finish the top. I used tung oil.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2024, 11:04:17 AM »
I'm surprised nobody has a granite inspection plate for building on.

Less than 5 miles from me is a Tuff Shed store. Yes, Homey Depot sells them, but a visit to the TS store was more educational. Sadly, they are framed up with 2x3 and not 2x4, though that makes them bigger inside. I would have bought one, but they wanted me to get a city permit and HOA permission in writing, so I lost interest.

My brother had one assembled in his backyard in Ridgecrest, CA. No mention of any of that nonsense. He said two guys came to assemble it, and they were fast, efficient, and competent. The only dumb thing they did was when the roof was finished, one guy jumped down, and shouldn't have. I'm not sure who paid for the broken leg repairs.  D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2024, 10:51:10 AM »
Guys, thanks for all the suggestions, it has given me some good options. Since I am moving to Asheville, NC where the weather is milder in the summer than down here in mid FL one option I started to consider was using the back area of the garage for the model storage and building area and getting a simple shed for yard tools and stuff. The garage is 22 1/2' long, cars would take 16' so that leaves 6' by 19' which is all open for model stuff. Anyone have a setup in a garage?

Best,    DennisT

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2024, 06:49:48 AM »
Anyone have a shop setup in their garage? The new house has a pretty large garage and looks like I can get at least the model rake and some supply storage there. What have others done?

Best,    DennisT

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2024, 07:03:11 AM »
Anyone have a shop setup in their garage? The new house has a pretty large garage and looks like I can get at least the model rake and some supply storage there. What have others done?

Best,    DennisT
With a garage I highly recommend staking your territory out early and defending your borders!  And no cats.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Miotch

• Commander
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2024, 02:26:19 PM »
I had good intentions.  I started this 18x12 the month COVID hit and finished it that June.  The materials would cost at least twice that now.  It was to be a workshop with a loft for storage.  It turned out to be storage, with a loft for storage.  But it's storage with electricity !!  Has build in benches, a loft I can stand in and windows.  Fancy storage, indeed.  It has a 1962 DeWalt 16" radial arm saw in it, so it's never going to blow away.  God, I'd love to get rid of that saw, but the thought of trying to move it back across my yard to load it on a trailer makes my hands and back hurt.  If I had to do it again, I'd put in bigger windows.  Not much airflow with tiny windows.  Not that the crap stuffed inside needs much airflow.

The silhouette Baby Great Lakes I put on the side came from my dad's old metal shed (last picture).  I cut it out of plywood in 1976 and put it on our little shed.  Reminds my of my dad, which makes me smile.

Offline Steve Thompson

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2024, 02:56:13 PM »
"Reminds me of my dad, which makes me smile."

:)

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2024, 01:26:35 PM »
24x30

10' ceilings

Air conditioned

Bathroom.

Full.

Yeee haaaaa!  Now that's a man cave!!   ;D #^

Offline John Park

• Agricola
  • Captain
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2024, 07:30:24 AM »
I used to have a two-car garage, one car and a motorcycle.  OK.  Then I moved to a house with a one-car garage, so I bought a 10' x 6' shed.  It's full to bursting now. I'm still trying to work out how to empty it temporarily before I get a bigger one.  Maybe I should just move house again...?
You want to make 'em nice, else you get mad lookin' at 'em!

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2024, 08:50:49 AM »
We have a packing team here today and tomorrow. They started in our garage to make room so we can stage all the boxable items in one side (luckily we have a 3 car garage). Our plan is to stage boxes in the garage to be able to put the house on the market, then once sold move out to ether the new house or storage in NC while the house is finished.

The team is working on the tools in the garage and emptying our attic (28 years worth of stuff), then do the boxable stuff in the rest of the house. In the first 30 minutes they moved more stuff than I did in 3 months. It is a little overwhelming as things are moving fast and lots of stay/go decisions to make right now!

Update: 4 hours in and the garage is packed (hope I don't need any tools) and we are starting to get the different materials grouped into room locations. We also have a whole pile of trash to go. I have labeled everything I can and most of this stuff will likely be in these boxes forever!!

And so it goes!

DennisT
« Last Edit: March 12, 2024, 10:52:18 AM by Dennis Toth »

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here