News:

• April 26, 2024, 02:49:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Model ID  (Read 1256 times)

Offline Jim Mynes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • Chelsea, ME
Model ID
« on: June 22, 2018, 04:12:04 PM »
Does anyone recognize this model? It was given to me by a guy who is getting rid of all his stuff. He couldn’t recall the name of it.
It has a sand cast ST51 in the nose.
Wingspan is 58”
Length is 42”
I have seen the light, and it’s powered by a lipo.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Model ID
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 04:41:03 PM »
Looks like a Buccaneer 746 to me. Good flying plane, designed by the late Allen Brickhaus. I'd expect the engine is a ST G.51? That's a very good engine and excellent match to the 746.  D>K Steve

"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 05:30:04 PM »
Yeah, definitely a Buccaneer 746.

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Jim Mynes

• Commander
  • Chelsea, ME
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 06:22:11 PM »
Thanks, guys. Buccaneer makes sense, as he also contributed a Savoy, also an Allen Brickhaus design if I’m not mistaken. Perhaps he was a fan of Allen’s designs.

Offline Jim Mynes

• Commander
  • Chelsea, ME
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 06:34:11 PM »
Yes there’s a big G on the non-exhaust side of the engine.
I remember reading about Italian vs. Chinese Super Tigres on here recently. I’m afraid I’m not familiar enough with them to know the difference.
His stuff has been sitting around for a while. The wheels are flat-spotted. So I’m thinking this might be an older, Italian ST.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2018, 09:05:26 PM »
Chinese ST have 4 digit No stamped on mounting lug edge . ( Wheter it says made in Italy on NOT . usually CHINA inside backplate .Itl Components Ass in China have the stamed lug ) My preferance is Italian , tho Ive one Chinese . Shaveing the bar over the bypass ( And Maybe the ' G ' , )
makes screwdriver access far better .

A Top flite wood 12 x 5 will work good , and BETTER cut to 11 5/8 in.  as youll get ' The Break ' good with that . If you cant find any 10 x 6 3 Bl Tornado's .

Should have 3/4 turn full 4 stroke to clean two stroke , Warm Up , needle in to full 2 , back out maybe 1/4 , to the brrrp brrrp bit , Itll be near correct .

Tend to run muffler pressure .

the ten ton Silent Mudffler works well . No power loss . Will haul a ten ton plane , load gets ' the break ' working A1+ in my opinion .
a 4 or a 6 inch pitch , is not a good idea , in my experiance . Tho theyll waffle along quitely on a 12 x 6 , itll take a bit to get ' the break '.

First Few gallons 23 % oil . 18 % 50/50 after , unless your in boiling weather . Dosnt really need nitro . tho 5 % is plenty .May run better without it .

H^^

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 02:13:08 PM »
Yes there’s a big G on the non-exhaust side of the engine.
I remember reading about Italian vs. Chinese Super Tigres on here recently. I’m afraid I’m not familiar enough with them to know the difference.
His stuff has been sitting around for a while. The wheels are flat-spotted. So I’m thinking this might be an older, Italian ST.

The late Tom Lay said the Chinese G.51 was usually as good as the Italian ones, but perhaps the bearings. The ring was always replaced with a Bowman ring. There were two cylinders available, the R/C and CL ones. The CL one had milder timing and yet a lot of people preferred the R/C version. Brian Gardner has made at least one batch on ABC piston/cyl., and an optional head, but I have not read anything posted here by users of the G.51 with Brian's conversion. I've bet $ that it'll work very nicely.   y1 Steve

"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here